Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Ibrahim صلى الله عليه وسلم Asking For Forgiveness

• Ibrahim صلى الله عليه وسلم Asking For Forgiveness

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 9, 2021 at 7:27 am

Ghamidi sahab in his latest mezan lecture talked about this and said ‘where was the prohibition?’

Discussion 29649

It is not for the Prophet, and those who believe, to pray for the forgiveness of idolaters even though they may be near of kin (to them) after it has become clear that they are people of hell fire. The prayer of Abraham for the forgiveness of his father was only because of a promise he had promised him, but when it had become clear to him that he (his father) was an enemy to Allah he (Abraham) disowned him. Lo! Abraham was soft of heart, lone suffering. [9:113-114]

Here it is. So to be clear. The forgiveness that Ibrahim عليه السلام asked was simply an exception because of his promise.

Ahmad Shoaib replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Ibrahim صلى الله عليه وسلم Asking For Forgiveness

Ahmad Shoaib updated 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • اشهل صادق

Member July 10, 2021 at 2:31 am

Peace!

T he Mufassiroon have tried to tackle this, but in my opinion and with all due respect, they haven’t been quite successful. They said والدي (I can’t put اعراب here, it’s walidayy) can refer to Noah and Abraham’s mother or it may refer to Adam and Eve. The Shia scholars claimed that Abraham’s father and mother (والدي) were believers and the اب in the Quran was actually his uncle. Another opinion was what Ghamidi Sahab explained that this Dua was made before the reality was made clear to him (which I currently don’t think is plausible with all due respect). Another opinion was that the reading is ولدي (Waladayy, that is two sons).

One can disagree with all of them, but I think the strongest of these explanations is the one given by Shia scholars. What do you say?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 11, 2021 at 6:57 am

I also read this online:

here’s what i think

1) Ibrahim a.s. definitely prayed for his parents toward the end of his life

2) the figure ‘Azaar’ in the qur’an, considered by most to be his father, would, by nearly every metric, fit the criteria for the kind of person that one is not allowed to pray for in the qur’an as per 9:13 due to his active and intense efforts in suppressing monotheism in the presence of a prophet

3) the issue is that the figure ‘Azaar’ may not have been his father since the same word is used in the qur’an to describe uncles or something (i can’t remember the particulars of the language used)

4) thus, i think Abraham a.s. parents definitely wouldn’t have fit the criteria for 9:13 (being of mushrikeen and clear dwellers of the Fire)

5) the fate of Ibrahim’s a.s. parents is not clear but they either aren’t ‘clear dwellers of the fire’ or mushrikoon. ig you could look into this a bit more to understand more about the 9:13 criteria

6) i don’t think that Abu Talib r.a. fits the criteria for 9:13. he definitely wasn’t a kafir, quite the opposite, due to his active efforts in protecting islam and the prophet s.a.w.‘

This should be taken into consideration

• اشهل صادق

Member July 11, 2021 at 7:10 am

Peace!

What’s also interesting is the fact that, according to the Jewish tradition, the name of Ibrahim’s father is Terah and not Azar. According to the Jewish tradition, Terah was a polytheistic priest who used to build idols, but when Allah saved Ibrahim from the fire, he repented and later accompanied Abraham, Lot and Sarah in their migration to Canaan (he was actually the leader of the journey). However, he died before the journey was complete (at a place called Haran).

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 11, 2021 at 7:11 am

Very nice! 👌

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register