Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Chain Of Hadeeth

Tagged: ,

• Chain Of Hadeeth

Posted by Talha Mujahid on July 11, 2021 at 10:48 am

for checking the credibility of any hadeeth muhadditheen set the criteria of checking the chain of hadeeth i.e. who listen this rawayah from whom?
    the main confussion created in my mind is that it seems very much impossible or unrealistic that everyone in the chain is remembering the name of all persons till the sahaba. Does all the people know earlier that after 300 years a work on this rawayts will be done so better to remember the chain?

Nadeem Minhas replied 2 years, 8 months ago 8 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Chain Of Hadeeth

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 13, 2021 at 7:17 am

The experts knew these people. They recorded their biodata in their respective times which are consulted by others.

• Talha Mujahid

Member July 13, 2021 at 7:19 am

It means this all started managing right after Prophet PBUH Rihlat?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 13, 2021 at 9:57 am

Everyone did not have to remember the entire chain. Each person reported whom he heard something from and hadith scholars documented the chain.

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 13, 2021 at 6:16 pm

If Imam Bukhari, met person X who says he heard it from Y. This person Y passed away already (for instance), how exactly we found out that Y heard it from J (passed away also) who heard it from K (passed away also).

• Talha Mujahid

Member August 18, 2021 at 4:38 am
    • Umer

Moderator August 18, 2021 at 7:15 am

Please refer to the video below from 37:21 to 43:07

https://youtu.be/CfBjgqrjdto?t=2241

• اشهل صادق

Member August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am

السلام عليكم

We probably can’t. That is probably why these اخبار are called ظنی and not قطعی. I am not sure, so Irfan Bhai can correct me on this. We have to rely on the trustworthiness of the narrator which is sometimes also suspect because, as Maulana Ishaq admits, a narrator which some Muhadditheen call ثقہ, some others call دجال.

• Ali Shaikh

Member August 18, 2021 at 6:20 am
    • اشهل صادق

Member August 18, 2021 at 7:18 am

السلام عليكم

As you know, terminologically, these are called اخبار by scholars. Raw, these are unreliable and that is why work on them began in the first place: because people were ascribing things to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم which he never could have said.

However, the Muhaddithoon soon were able to come up with criteria for testing their validity. Even though they were not able to always follow these criteria, as they like all of us were human, we still have the criteria itself. So, as long as we honestly weigh these reports on the scale the Muhaddithoon created, we can use them to discover the life of our Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and his companions رضي الله عنهم اجمعين.

However, it should be kept in mind that these are not a source of religion. We, the general populace, and now the scholars too, has often confused these reports with the Sunnah, which, along with the Quran, is the only source of God-given religion. Scholars have written on this, for example Allama Tamanna Imadi in his “book,” کوئی ہے جو اس سوال کا جواب دے؟.

• Ali Shaikh

Member August 18, 2021 at 8:54 am

Walekumassalam, the link I’ve shared above covers most of these statements….

• اشهل صادق

Member August 18, 2021 at 9:46 am

السلام عليكم

Sorry, Ali Bhai, I did not read your links completely, but I did skim and scan them and, if I was able to understand their view in my hurry, they were confusing Hadith with Sunnah (assuming it to be the source of the Sunnah, which it is not). Once again, the raw collection of these historical reports can only be made reliable after the criteria of the Muhaddithoon is applied rigorously. A Hadith which is موضوع is still a Hadith. So, no “Ahadith” in themselves are not reliable at all. By definition, these are reports of people who ascribe a saying or event to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. That is why work on them began in the first place. Religion is not to be taken from them because they are the application and not the commandment as they are historical reports.

I will ان شاء الله read that article more fully (even though I can’t stand people confusing Hadith and Sunnah). Meanwhile, if you disagree with something I said and you want to point it out and clarify for me, please feel free to do so. 🙂

• Talha Mujahid

Member August 18, 2021 at 10:51 am

The main thing about which I’m talking is criteria of Muhaddiseen. How is it possible to record all the chain of people.

Are people aware of beforehand that after 200 years some people will come and research on hadith so because of this they used to remember the chain of narrators

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 18, 2021 at 11:00 am

I have already responded to this above.

• Talha Mujahid

Member August 18, 2021 at 11:02 am

If Imam Bukhari, met person X who says he heard it from Y. This person Y passed away already (for instance), how exactly we found out that Y heard it from J (passed away also) who heard it from K (passed away also).

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 18, 2021 at 11:04 am

If a person passed away and there’s no way for the chain to reach Prophet Muhammad then such narrations are categorized as ‘mawqoof’.

• اشهل صادق

Member August 18, 2021 at 11:08 am

السلام عليكم

Faisal Bhai, if I understood what Talha Bhai is asking, what happens if the chain reaches the Prophet but there is no way to know whether person X has ascribed the report to person Y truthfully or he has forged it?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 18, 2021 at 1:20 pm

That’s certainly a possibility. It doesn’t even need to be a deliberate forgery, but it could be just a misunderstanding on a narrator’s part. Ilm-ul-rijal helps in this difficulty, however, there’s no way to reach certitude. That’s one of the many reasons why all narrations regardless of their categorization must be understood in the light of the Quran and the Sunnah.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 18, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I am not sure if this has already been discussed or not.

Even if people are dead in every chain, if multiple independent chains lead to the source and all independent chains report nearly the same information, then the info is likely to be reliable.

Still, Hadith should be read for informational purposes only. The entire deen is in Quran and Sunnah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register