Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Intoxication Vs Addiction

• Intoxication Vs Addiction

Posted by Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq on July 17, 2021 at 12:29 am

I wanted to know that since intoxicating things are haram what is the general opinion about addictive things there are extremes in addictive things like gambling zina etc then comes drugs that are not intoxicating or smoking then things that are not addictive like other things but still addictive like addictive music or food or similar things

In case of intoxicating things the ruling is that things that are intoxicating in large amounts are not allowed in small amounts So is there some ruling for addictive things (except for things that are already mention like gambling and zina) or the person will decide based on their own knowledge

Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Intoxication Vs Addiction

• Ahsan

Moderator July 17, 2021 at 6:56 am

If you are talking about things other than meal, then you can decide based on surah araf verse 33. For example gaming has been identified as addiction. As long as you dont do immoral things ful fill your responsiblities, dont neglect prayers its ok to play games
    Here you can read more about principle of determining halal o haram.
    Discussion 1749

• Umer

Moderator July 17, 2021 at 9:57 am

Intoxication is not primarily Haram becasue of addiction, instead, the main reason for its prohibition is the fact that it numbs a person’s brain and takes away his personality for a while i.e. ‘nafs‘, which makes him a conscious and rational human being. That is why it belongs to the khabees category in dietary matters. Zina, on the other hand, is an infringement of a wife’s rights if done after marriage and of a society if done before marriage. Gambling falls in usurping of other’s rights. These are three separate categories with separate reasons for prohibition. Since they do become an addiction, that is why they have been prohibited right from the beginning i.e. prohibiting even the smallest quantity of intoxicants and prohibiting zina before marriage, But it is not the actual reason for their prohibition.

For explanation regarding prohibition of alcohol, please refer to the video below from 33:39 to 35:12

https://youtu.be/dl4gk4_8I1I?t=2019

• Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq

Member July 17, 2021 at 10:53 am

So the real reason for deciding about something is not its effect of intoxication or addiction but the real reason are the effects that will be caused because of it and person will probably end up doing something that falls under the five main categories of haram.

But if they do not fall under those five categories besides being an addiction they can be enjoyed like the above mentioned game addictions and others similar addictions

• Umer

Moderator July 18, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Yes, that is correct.

• Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq

Member July 17, 2021 at 11:52 am

If my understanding is true then please guide under what categories smoking addiction stands

• Muhammad Muaaz Shafiq

Member July 19, 2021 at 4:56 am

Thank you for clearing

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register