Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Interest On A Tax Refund

Tagged: ,

• Interest On A Tax Refund

Posted by Uzair Khalil on August 1, 2021 at 7:21 pm

I have a scenario based question.

Scenario: I wasn’t supposed to pay FICA tax (federal payroll contribution to fund social security and medicare programs) but it continued getting deducted from my paycheck for couple of years. So I requested my employer to ask IRS for the refund. I got the refund after few years through my employer but also received interest amount on top of the original amount IRS owed me.

Question: Is it halal? If it’s not, what do I do with this interest money? I tried returning it back to my employer thinking it’s not halal but they refused to take it back because of audit issues. Is it ok to donate this money to organizations helping needy and deserving people or organizations spreading word of Allah like Ghamidi center, Inzaar etc. ?

Mohammad Yaseen replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Interest On A Tax Refund

Mohammad Yaseen updated 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 1, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Riba is only in a loan transaction of a consumable item. When someone asks you for a loan and you demand that they pay you back an amount in addition to the original amount then that additional amount is riba and it’s haram. If the IRS sent you back an additional amount on top of what you paid them then it’s not riba and you can use it.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 1, 2021 at 8:41 pm
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 1, 2021 at 8:43 pm

What is haraam for one is also haraam for organizations that believe in the same.

Perhaps we can donate to organizations that accept interest as it is not haraam for them like hospitals or welfare organizations.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register