Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Seemingly Inconsistencies In Quran Regarding Minimum Requirements

Tagged: , ,

• Seemingly Inconsistencies In Quran Regarding Minimum Requirements

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on August 3, 2021 at 6:28 am

In numerous Ayahs Quran states the minimum requirement is to believe in one god and the last day. Anyone without going deeper into the religion could possibly believe in just these two. If the person doesn’t commit any sins against other people, the person should go to heaven without any punishment.

Yet in many other ayahs, Quran adds other requirements to believe in other things (Angels, prophets, holy books, etc), and also adds requirements to perform certain religious acts (Prayer, fasting, zakat, Haaj) and then adds further requirements relates to this World, such as to give charity and not to keep saving money without sharing, etc.

If all the above additional items, except belief in one Allah and the last day, were optional to achieve a higher rank and a better heaven then it would make sense and there won’t be any inconsistencies, but Quran requires these items and threatens with punishments; especially for not giving to charity and keep saving money.

On one side Islam is presented to be very easy and simple. Just believe in one Allah and the last day and not to hurt any other person.

Then it becomes extremely complicated considering all other requirements described above.

Nadeem Minhas replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Seemingly Inconsistencies In Quran Regarding Minimum Requirements

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 3, 2021 at 9:12 am

The question is not clear, however, fundamentally what’s required from us is belief in one God, belief in the day of judgement, and good deeds as a result of these beliefs. These concepts are innate and do not require external knowledge.

Once someone has established these beliefs, then the rest depends upon the sincerity of the person, the circumstances, the opportunity and the resources provided to him. When someone learns about the message brought to the world by the prophets and has understood it on the basis of evidence, then he is also required to believe in that message. On the other hand, if another person never gets an opportunity despite being sincere, then he won’t be questioned about it.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 3, 2021 at 9:30 am

Thanks Faisal. Let me clarify my question.

Quran in many verses states that minimum required to go to heaven is belief in one god and the last day.

Then why does it require in other verses belief in more things, why it requires prayer, zakat, fasting and Hajj. Most importantly, why there is punishment for not giving money to charity.

If all the additional items were for extra credit, then there is no inconsistency, but if there is punishment for these extra items, then there is inconsistency.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 3, 2021 at 10:44 am

As I have alluded to above, the requirements for the bare minimum are innate in human nature. They don’t require knowledge from any external sources. A person who has not been given any opportunity to learn the details of the guidance brought to us by the prophets and the messengers will only be judged on the basis of these requirements.

Giving charity, for example, when we find someone in need and we know that we can help them doesn’t require guidance from a prophet. It’s a universal concept. It’s true that the prophets also communicated this knowledge to us, but that’s just the confirmation and the details of the information that we already knew.

In contrast, knowledge of angels is not innate. A prophet had to tell us about their existence. A person who never had the opportunity to learn the message of the prophets will not be judged on this matter. On the other hand, belief in angels is a requirement for those of us who are aware of the guidance brought to us by the prophets.

Please refer to the following videos for a deeper understanding of fitrah (nature). I have shared these videos with you before, but it’s bit of a complex subject matter. Even I had to carefully listen to all of these videos twice or thrice in order to get a good grip on it. However, I can tell you that once this concept is understood, it resolves many such questions.

Discussion 30094 • Reply 30095

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 3, 2021 at 12:34 pm

I am sorry for repeating, but I think we are a little apart in understanding. I am not clear with your answer. My question is to clarify what seems to be a contradiction in Quran as stated below

The minimum required to go to heaven is stated to be belief in Allah, and the last day and not to commit big sins. There is no requirement to do good deeds.

So giving charity cannot be required or a person should not be punished for not giving charity.

Quran states amongst other things that people will be punished for not giving charity. This seems to be a contradiction to the stated minimum requirement to go to heaven. I am trying to better understand this.

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member August 3, 2021 at 1:49 pm

Brother Nadeem would it be possible for u to give ayahs stating minimum requirement?

I think if we try to understand these ayahs with context it’ll help us resolve this issue. Many times Quran is talking about a specific group or event or sometime ayahs expect certain understanding from the listener

Did you read the tafseer from Tadabbur? Imam Islahi has answered quite a lot confusions

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 3, 2021 at 2:17 pm

As Faraz sahab stated, if you quote certain verse numbers that will really help.

• Ahsan

Moderator August 3, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Ghamidi sb has mentioned in Taruf e Quran series that while understanding verse, we need to understand to who Quran addressing in those verses. Once you specify, I think the problem will be solved.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 4, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for asking me for specific Ayahs. It was helpful and I got a chance to read Quran. Based on the following ayahs it can be inferred that the minimum requirement to be a Muslim or to go to heaven is to believe in God and the last day. Anything beyond would be extra credit work.

[2:126] Abraham prayed: “My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and provide its people with fruits. Provide for those who believe in GOD and the Last Day.” (God) said, “I will also provide for those who disbelieve. I will let them enjoy, temporarily, then commit them to the retribution of Hell, and a miserable destiny.”

[2:228] The divorced women shall wait three menstruations (before marrying another man). It is not lawful for them to conceal what GOD creates in their wombs, if they believe in GOD and the Last Day. (In case of pregnancy,) the husband’s wishes shall supersede the wife’s wishes, if he wants to remarry her. The women have rights, as well as obligations, equitably. Thus, the man’s wishes prevail (in case of pregnancy). GOD is Almighty, Most Wise.

[2:232] If you divorce the women, once they fulfill their interim, do not prevent them from remarrying their husbands, if they reconcile amicably. This shall be heeded by those among you who believe in GOD and the Last Day. This is purer for you, and more righteous. GOD knows, while you do not know.

[2:264] O you who believe, do not nullify your charities by inflicting reproach and insult, like one who spends his money to show off, while disbelieving in GOD and the Last Day. His example is like a rock covered with a thin layer of soil; as soon as heavy rain falls, it washes off the soil, leaving it a useless rock. They gain nothing from their efforts. GOD does not guide disbelieving people.

[4:38] They give money to charity only to show off, while disbelieving in GOD and the Last Day. If one’s companion is the devil, that is the worst companion.

[4:59] O you who believe, you shall obey GOD, and you shall obey the messenger, and those in charge among you. If you dispute in any matter, you shall refer it to GOD and the messenger, if you do believe in GOD and the Last Day. This is better for you, and provides you with the best solution.

[9:19] Have you considered the watering of the pilgrims and caring for the Sacred Masjid a substitute for believing in GOD and the Last Day, and striving in the cause of GOD? They are not equal in the sight of GOD. GOD does not guide the wicked people.

[9:29] You shall fight back against those who do not believe in GOD, nor in the Last Day, nor do they prohibit what GOD and His messenger have prohibited, nor do they abide by the religion of truth – among those who received the scripture – until they pay the due tax, willingly or unwillingly.

[9:44] Those who truly believe in GOD and the Last Day do not ask your permission to evade the opportunity to strive with their money and their lives. GOD is fully aware of the righteous.

[9:45] The only people who wish to be excused are those who do not really believe in GOD and the Last Day. Their hearts are full of doubt, and their doubts cause them to waver.

[9:99] Other Arabs do believe in GOD and the Last Day, and consider their spending to be a means towards GOD, and a means of supporting the messenger. Indeed, it will bring them nearer; GOD will admit them into His mercy. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

[24:2] The adulteress and the adulterer you shall whip each of them a hundred lashes. Do not be swayed by pity from carrying out GOD’s law, if you truly believe in GOD and the Last Day. And let a group of believers witness their penalty.

[29:36] To Midyan we sent their brother Shu`aib. He said, “O my people, you shall worship GOD and seek the Last Day, and do not roam the earth corruptingly.”

[33:21] The messenger of GOD has set up a good example for those among you who seek GOD and the Last Day, and constantly think about GOD.

[58:22] You will not find people who believe in GOD and the Last Day befriending those who oppose GOD and His messenger, even if they were their parents, or their children, or their siblings, or their tribe. For these, He decrees faith into their hearts, and supports them with inspiration from Him, and admits them into gardens with flowing streams wherein they abide forever. GOD is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. These are the party of GOD. Most assuredly, GOD’s party are the winners.

[60:6] A good example has been set by them for those who seek GOD and the Last Day. As for those who turn away, GOD is in no need (of them), Most Praiseworthy.

[65:2] Once the interim is fulfilled, you may reconcile with them equitably, or go through with the separation equitably. You shall have two equitable witnesses witness the divorce before GOD. This is to enlighten those who believe in GOD and the Last Day. Anyone who reverences GOD, He will create an exit for him.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 4, 2021 at 8:21 pm

Nadeem sahab, it’s not possible for me to comment on every single verse that you shared above, however, these verses do not establish that the minimum criteria to enter the paradise is only belief in One God and the Day of Judgement. Every verse must be understood in it’s context keeping in mind the stylistics of the Quran, the intended audience for particular verses, the situation as evidenced by the context, the argument being made, and how the Quran sometimes states something in summary and provides explanation elsewhere.

There are dozens of verses where in addition to the correct belief, good deeds are also stated requirement for the paradise. I am sharing a couple of references just for your review: 2:62, 7:8-9, 101:6.

In summary, there are no inconsistencies in the Quran. The required righteous deeds and beliefs are not extra credit, but in fact their requirement is based on individual circumstances.

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member August 4, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Nadeem brother, congrats to u to make an effort towards understanding. Most people ask a qs and as soon as u ask them to do research they shy away from hardwork

I can share my thoughts, if u consider all the quoted ayahs, they talking to believers or in other words the audience r muslims(or hypocrites who pretended to have Islamic faith), not the polytheists or the people of the book. Since the audience r already muslims, Allah only highlighted the 2 most basic and most difficult of concepts, existence of God and day of judgement.

These 2 r the backbone of Islam. This can be seen in the starting 4 ayahs of Al-Baqara, starts with belief in God and end with belief is akhira

This is the Book! There is no doubt about it. a guide for those mindful ˹of Allah˺who believe in the unseen, establish prayer, and donate from what We have provided for them and who believe in what has been revealed to you ˹O Prophet˺ and what was revealed before you, and have sure faith in the Hereafter

So when belief in God and Akhira is mentioned then the above r already included. This would explain 29:36

These r the 2 reasons that may answer your question

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 4, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Thank you Brother Faraz and Brother Faisal for taking the tine to respond. I will do some more reading and get back to you.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register