Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Death Of Jesus Christ

Tagged: , ,

• Death Of Jesus Christ

Posted by Uzair Ranjha on August 4, 2021 at 1:20 pm

قرآن کی جن آیات سے غامدی صاحب حضرت عیسی کی وفات کے لیے استدلال کرتے ہیں کیا ان آیات میں “توفی” کا ترجمعہ موت غامدی صاحب کے علاوہ کسی اور مفسر نے بھی کیا ہے ؟.

اشهل صادق replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Death Of Jesus Christ

• Umer

Moderator August 5, 2021 at 3:50 am

Not sure about that, but you can refer to the following article by Hassan Ilyas Sahab for understanding of the word “توفَّى“:

Discussion 36823 • Reply 37287

• اشهل صادق

Member August 5, 2021 at 10:23 am

Peace!

Yes, others have translated it like this too. Take, for example, Zamakhshari, one of the foremost authorities in the Arabic language and the tafsir of the Quran:

معناه: إنى عاصمك(١) من أن يقتلك الكفار ومؤخرك إلى أجل كتبته لك. ومميتك حتف أنفك لا قتيلا بأيديهم

and Ibn Ashur, a contemporary Maliki mufassir who is also held in high regard:

وقَوْلُهُ: ﴿إنِّي مُتَوَفِّيكَ﴾ ظاهِرُ مَعْناهُ: إنِّي مُمِيتُكَ

He also brings a report that Imam Malik believed that Isa عليه السلام was 33 when he passed away:

قالَ مالِكٌ: ماتَ عِيسى وهو ابْنُ إحْدى وثَلاثِينَ سَنَةً، قالَ ابْنُ رُشْدٍ في البَيانِ والتَّحْصِيلِ: يُحْتَمَلُ أنَّ قَوْلَهُ: ماتَ وهو ابْنُ ثَلاثٍ وثَلاثِينَ عَلى الحَقِيقَةِ لا عَلى المَجازِ.

Aaloosi and Razi also present the meaning of death. However, all of the mufassiroon have to tackle the Ahadith regarding Isa’s عليه السلام return and his being taken up to the heavens. So, they all just present diverse views regarding this. However, all of them take the word to mean death (at least) primarily, when it comes in this context.

I am in a hurry, so I apologize if I have wrongly presented the scholars’ views. Please correct me if I have.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register