Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Politics Under Authoritarian Rule

Tagged: ,

• Politics Under Authoritarian Rule

Posted by Syed Amir Shah on August 21, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Assalam-o-Alaikum!
    Hope you all are doing well. I have a question for Ghamdi Sahab regarding his views on the authority of the state and our relationship with the state as citizens.
    As I understand, Ghamdi sb argues that (i) the nature of state should be democratic (ii) Issues should be resolved on the basis of majority’s view (iii) Majority does not establish right or wrong but it is merely a means to resolve issues or avoid conflict (iv) Citizens have the right to critique the government (v) But they must be obedient to the state in all circumstances.
    I want to contrast this view with the social scientific explanation of state and citizens. The dominant view in most disciplines (sociology, anthropology, political science, education, gender studies etc.), the state is not understood as a neutral organization, but as an instrument to protect and further the interest of dominant groups of society. These groups could be based on gender, class, race, religion, ethnicity etc. My question is informed by this social scientific view and my personal experience as someone who was born and raised in Balochistan.
    My question is, how can we work towards building a democratic state and protecting human rights in Pakistan, particularly Balochistan, where the army is openly involved in politics and has developed strong economic stakes from illegal trade. It creates political parties overnight and installs governments at will. If someone opposes their rule, he/she is made to disappear or their mutilated bodies are found. Courts cannot hold them answerable. Media is effectively under their control. There are thousands still missing and neither Commission for enforced disappearances can do anything nor the supreme court. As politics is criminalized, the military rule and exploitation has given rise to violent conflicts and insurgencies in the province.
    First, in this situation, where politics is criminalized and criticism leads to enforced disappearances, what is the way forward? Second, does not Ghamdi sb ignore the every oppressive nature of the state, which is acknowledged in most social science disciplines?
    JazakAllah.

Syed Amir Shah replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Politics Under Authoritarian Rule

Syed Amir Shah updated 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 22, 2021 at 7:27 am

You did not present Ghamidi Sahab’s point of view completely. Ghamidi Sahab is also of view that there can be instances where citizens may revolt against the state, provided, certain conditions are met:

Please see the following for Ghamidi Sahab’s response:

Discussion 36836 • Reply 36905

• Syed Amir Shah

Member August 22, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Thank you very much brother. This position is different from what has been articulated at different times, particularly with reference to the verse telling us to follow Allah and Rasool and those who have authority among you. So my current understanding about Ghamdi sb thought is that there are cases of exceptions where this verse is not applicable and that we know from hadith.

Thank you so much again for guidance. Jazakallah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register