Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Jilbab As Temporary Protection

Tagged: , , ,

• Jilbab As Temporary Protection

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 21, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Women used to wear the Jalbab even before Islam, when they go out, Ishahi sahib has quoted a couplet to tell the same. This very garment was prescribed as a distinction for them to avoid the mischief making of the hypocrites. This was just like the Chaadar that our women in the subcontinent use, when they go out. So they needed not to stop it. It was their usual way to dressing when they go out.

• Gumiho Ki

Member August 22, 2021 at 2:46 am

But if they wear it before Islam and before the hypocrites atack ,why Allah said to wear it to be identified and not to be molested?.Perhaps not all of them used to put it on before that?

• اشهل صادق

Member August 22, 2021 at 2:56 am

السلام عليكم

According to Ibn Ashur, one of the great exegetes of the Quran, the free women used to wear this cloth in the day, but did not wear it at night when they went for the call of nature. This was a sign of free women. Now, because of their not wearing this cloth at night, the hypocrites were able to make excuses to harass them, saying we thought she was a slave-girl. So, Allah ordered women to wear this cloth at night time too so they can be distinguished from the slave-girls and not harassed.

Feel free to correct me if I didn’t present the view of Ibn Ashur correctly.

Regarding your second question on whether all of the free women used to wear this cloth or not: I don’t know.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 27, 2021 at 12:39 am

The injunctions of wearing jalbab doesn’t not mean that that did not take it and now they would start wearing it. It means that this practice was declared to end the excuse of the culprits. We find in Quran the injunctions not to marry your mothers sister etc it doesn’t mean that they were prohibited from a thing they were doing. This is the statement of a law. Here too this practice of theirs was made a law to end the excuse and give govt a right after this warning that they would start operation against them.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register