Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Muhammad SAWS Being The Final Source Of Religion

• Muhammad SAWS Being The Final Source Of Religion

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on August 23, 2021 at 11:55 am

How is it viable for us to call Muhammad SAWS the final source of the religion when he is not in front of us and the reports we have of him are solitary. I read the first paragraph of Mizan and it says that the final source of religion is Muhammad SAWS. But we know that he is a rasul with a risalah.

The verses about obeying the ‘rasul’ would fit perfectly here too since a rasul has a risalah and that risalah would be the Quran- so the rasul would only command us to his risalah which, according to the Quran, seems to only include itself and we don’t really see mention of any other source in it as expanded on above.

So how is he himself the final source rather than the Quran direclty?

اشهل صادق replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Muhammad SAWS Being The Final Source Of Religion

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 23, 2021 at 11:56 am

Where in the Quran is the Prophet SAWS given any authority or command to teach anything other than the Quran itself?

• Afia Khan

Member August 23, 2021 at 5:28 pm

How we got the Quran? Prophet Muhammad SAW verbally told people that these are the words through revelation. Nobody saw any angel or anything else.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 23, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Yes sure I agree but the point would be that the Quran itself proves it being from God. Though I can’t deny that the Quran does advocate for the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ‘s character it also assures us that the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم would never أعوذ بالله من الشيىطان الرجيم add any word or he would be killed (surah qalam near the end).

My question was perhaps a bit more geared towards the statement in mizan which tries to end the argument as to whether the Quran or sunnah is the primary source of the religion instead Ghamidi sahab says that the person of Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم is.

The point would be if sunnah is another source then why do we pretty much find the Quran devoid of any command to the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم of him renewing the religion of ibrahim صلى الله عليه وسلم eg by telling people to recite fatiha in salah. Even if pagans were doing salah before Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم would’ve had to say recite fatiha for example so where is he given that authority in the Quran.

I think the argument form Ghamidi sahab would be since Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم himself is the final source we don’t need any mention in the Quran so I’m just trying to find an argument for what would constitute him صلى الله عليه وسلم as the final source clearly.

• Haris Virk

Moderator August 23, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Assalam-u-Alaikum! What makes the Prophet Muhammad sws as the final source of religion are the facts that the Quran reached us through him and he is the one who instituted Sunnah (the tradition of Prophet Abraham’s religion) among his followers as religion after reviving and reforming it and after making certain additions to it. Ghamidi sahab clarified it as well in the subsequent lines. “It is only through him (Prophet Muhammad sws) that man can receive divine guidance and it is only he who, through his words, deeds or tacit approvals, has the authority to regard something as part of Islam until the Day of Judgement. The Qur’an says:

هُوَ الَّذِي بَعَثَ فِي الْأُمِّيِّينَ رَسُولًا مِّنْهُمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِهِ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ (2:62)

It is He who has sent among the unlettered a Messenger from amongst themselves who recites out to them His verses and purifies them and [for this purpose] he instructs them in shari‘ah and in hikmah. (62:2)

Moreover, in his answer to a question, asked by none other than you, Ghamidi sahab touched upon this idea. Please listen to it from 55:00 to 57:28

https://youtu.be/ZjQZ39hCY6I

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 23, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Can I get a quote from the Quran that ‘asl mein peghambar bheja jata Hai’.

Also the ayah about فبهداهم اقتده makes sense but like I said the fatiha would be an extra thing since the Quran wasn’t revealed to the other prophets and it was a new thing the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم would’ve had to teach. So if the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم Said read the fatiha it would’ve been a recommendation of his- since where in the Quran is he given authority to renew any of the traditions or add some things like the fatiha to the already enacted upon salah

• Haris Virk

Moderator August 23, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Hope the following video clarifies the point:

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 23, 2021 at 6:11 pm

I believe this is the ayah Ghamidi sahab is talking about:

Al-Baqarah 2:213

كَانَ ٱلنَّاسُ أُمَّةً وَٰحِدَةً فَبَعَثَ ٱللَّهُ ٱلنَّبِيِّۦنَ مُبَشِّرِينَ وَمُنذِرِينَ وَأَنزَلَ مَعَهُمُ ٱلۡكِتَٰبَ بِٱلۡحَقِّ لِيَحۡكُمَ بَيۡنَ ٱلنَّاسِ فِيمَا ٱخۡتَلَفُوا۟ فِيهِۚ وَمَا ٱخۡتَلَفَ فِيهِ إِلَّا ٱلَّذِينَ أُوتُوهُ مِنۢ بَعۡدِ مَا جَآءَتۡهُمُ ٱلۡبَيِّنَٰتُ بَغۡيًۢا بَيۡنَهُمْۖ فَهَدَى ٱللَّهُ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ لِمَا ٱخۡتَلَفُوا۟ فِيهِ مِنَ ٱلۡحَقِّ بِإِذۡنِهِۦۗ وَٱللَّهُ يَهۡدِى مَن يَشَآءُ إِلَىٰ صِرَٰطٍ مُّسۡتَقِيمٍ

Get Quran App: gtaf.org/apps/quran

#GreentechApps

He seems to be placing emphasis on the معهم in the sentence but the very next phrase is about the kitaab which is ليحكم بين الناس. Now the question is that is يحكم for Allah or the kitaab?

Either way I don’t see how the emphasis can be placed on معهم for the notion that ‘asl mein peghambar bheja jata Hai’

The point would be that even if it comes with tawatur that the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم taught these things- we don’t find any evidence in the Quran that he had authority to add or remove these things so we would assume that they are wrongly attributed to him.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 23, 2021 at 6:13 pm

The qibla point is a very good one however and if you can think of the other examples Ghamidi sahab is mentioning that’d be great

• اشهل صادق

Member August 23, 2021 at 10:07 pm

السلام عليكم

You probably know all of this but we all need a refresher sometimes 😄

First, I am going to try and address your question through its points and then, in the end, my actual point.

Maybe the phrasing of the sentence is what is making it difficult to understand. The gist of it is that religion can only come from him. Not that whatever he says is religion (unlike the Quran), but that whatever he says is religion is religion. (Ok, now my sentences are getting confusing 😅) This is because he is the messenger of Allah. Suppose you recieve a letter from a your cousin directly from the mailman and the mailman, while handing over the letter to you, says that your cousin specifically asked you not to open the letter until midnight. Would you believe him? Why? Who is the source of all the information (religion) your cousin sent you? You would be handicapped to trust the mailman, right? However, if the mailman was 100% truthful, this would not be a handicap at all (like a telephone is almost 100% truthful)

You may say that the letter should contain something ascertaining the words of the mailman and the Quran does. It says that the Prophet not only teaches his audience الكتاب but also الحكمة and it never says الكتاب without الحكمة (in my limited knowledge). الحكمة is Sunnah. Even Ibrahim عليه السلام in his prayer did not ask Allah to send a Prophet which teaches them الكتاب only, but الحكمة with it.

Now, the actual point. Look, Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم was a رسول. What are رسل but special انبياء? Did all انبياء receive a book? So, what is the main thing Allah sends for guidance: a book or a prophet? Now, you might say, “revelation,” but for some انبياء (at the very least), revelation consists of injunctions for the prophet rather than the word of God to be read to the audience. For example, instead of God saying, “…اتل عليهم: واقيموا الصلاة,” God may say, “…مرهم ان يقيموا الصلاة,” and he will go and tell people that your Lord orders you to establish prayer.

The confusion usually arises when we assume the Quran to be the book of God when it is actually the last book of God. So, you see the Quran did not need to establish that a prophet is the source of religion and is the main thing God sends because everyone already knew that. Despite this, the Quran aggressively enjoins absolute obedience to the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم time and time again.

Do tell me if I made a mistake and may Allah make this helpful.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register