Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam The Wife Of Abu Lahab (Umm Jamil)

• The Wife Of Abu Lahab (Umm Jamil)

Posted by Tamzid Al Hasan on August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am

What on earth did Abu Lahab’s wife (Umm Jamil) do to prophet Muhammad that there was such harsh reaction from God? I heard that there was a kind of poetic rap battle going on between Prophet Muhammad and Umm Jamil! Surah Lahab to me is too human to attribute it to God. Sudden human emotional outburst. What’s your views on this?

Umer replied 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • The Wife Of Abu Lahab (Umm Jamil)

Umer updated 2 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator August 26, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Always provide proper reference to thing which you mention.

you may find following video helpful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPdQ89-dr4

• Tamzid Al Hasan

Member August 26, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I don’t know the sources but I think it is well known that Ka’b Ibn Ashraf, Maslamah Ibn Habib and Umm Jamil (Abu Lahab’s wife) etc. were the prime sources that provided poetic responses to the Quranic claim to produce something like it. So it can be called sort of a rap battle that later turned violent.

• Tamzid Al Hasan

Member August 26, 2021 at 1:57 pm

I’m not feeling right deep within me calling it a rap battle. I know a scholar who will declare that I performed ‘Kufor’ by saying that. Ayuzubillah

• Ahsan

Moderator August 27, 2021 at 6:26 am

I never read such thing so I am not sure about this incident.
      About human emotional outburst question, you can watch video of Shehzad sb, it answer ur question

• Ali Shaikh

Member August 27, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Abu Lahab and his wife were known to be one of the greatest enemies of the Prophet Muhammad. This surah is Prophecy that came true.

She used to throw thorns in the path of prophet, for more you can read Tahfeem Ul Quran and Tafsir ibn Kathir.

With regard to poetic battle refer this https://www.answering-christianity.com/umar/dead_poets_rebuttal.htm

• Umer

Moderator August 27, 2021 at 1:06 pm

The Primary representative text w.r.t Occasion of Revelation of Surah Abu Lahab can be found in a number of Hadith books and it relates to one event, but the narrations along with their chain of narrators and and the content contained in them have been critically studied by Dr. Shehzad Saleem with the conclusion “The questions raised on the text and chain of narration of this narrative render it unacceptable“. The details can be found at:

Discussion 56269

It needs to be understood that in case of a Rasool, people who turn into extreme enmity (‘muanideen‘)are bound to be punished in this world and in the hereafter as well. The same was done to six specific people who were captured in Badar, in Uhad and at the time of conquest of Mecca, few names were not given general clemency and were ordered to be killed. They were all muanideen‘ and, Abu-Lahab and his wife, being the leaders and close relatives of the Prophet, were running a whole campaign to slander the Prophet (sws) and spread wrong information against Him. Disrespectful poetry was one part of it, it is the whole behavior that counts, not just the poetry. And it is this constant behaviour of extreme enmity due to which they were categorized as muanideen‘ and after itmam-e-hujjah on them, their prophecy of destruction was revealed.

Please refer to the video below from 1:01:22 to 1:03:48

• Umer

Moderator August 27, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Please also refer to the link below from 43:20 to 47:34

ilm-o-Hikmat 02-09-2018

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register