Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Opposing A Caliph Vs. The Caliphate (Difference Between State And Government)

Tagged: 

• Opposing A Caliph Vs. The Caliphate (Difference Between State And Government)

Posted by Mohammad Kamil Syed on August 29, 2021 at 8:02 am

In context of hadiths where rasool-ullah warns not to leave Jamat. Janab Ghamidi Sahab says that these words are used for leaving nazm of Muslims or sultan actually state. And he explains the difference between state and government by the example of current nation states like Pakistan. What is not clear to me at the time when rasool-ullah saying these words how can we differentiate between state and government. Here in case of nation state it is crystal clear that if I oppose government, I am not opposing state. But in times of khilafate raashidah, how can I make this difference? If I am not giving my bait to Khalifa I would be considered as baaghi and sword will decide my future. Or there was an opportunity to say that I am not opposing khilafat but only Khalifa. I will be law abiding. Please explain this difference.

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Opposing A Caliph Vs. The Caliphate (Difference Between State And Government)

Faisal Haroon updated 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 29, 2021 at 10:01 am

I’m not sure how would it be different in the past than today. If you oppose a person, a party, a leader, or an ideology, the clarity of your argument along with the solution you propose should leave no room for any ambiguity.

• Mohammad Kamil Syed

Member August 31, 2021 at 12:10 pm

It seems to me that separation between state and government is a modern concept. In the past it was not a clear demarcation. I will appreciate if someone can tell me with example that this concept was existing among Sahaba. That was the reason that any new Khalifa/Calif take bait of everyone forcefully . If somebody deny than he is considered as traitor.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 31, 2021 at 2:21 pm

A state is an entity while the government is the administrative body that runs the state. The separation between these two concepts is a natural and a rational one – it doesn’t require any evidence from any period in the history. Quran’s injunction of ‘amrahum shura baynahum‘ is sufficient enough to understand that an Islamic society or state should be run by the consultation of its people.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register