Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam What Does It Mean "Give Charity In Moderation"?

Tagged: , ,

• What Does It Mean "Give Charity In Moderation"?

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on August 29, 2021 at 12:23 pm

When we read Islamic history there are instances where Sahaba gave all their belongings for war or charity. Isn’t it against the following verse in Quran?

[25:67] When they give, they are neither extravagant nor stingy; they give in moderation.

Nadeem Minhas replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • What Does It Mean "Give Charity In Moderation"?

Nadeem Minhas updated 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member August 29, 2021 at 12:38 pm

[17:26] You shall give the due alms to the relatives, the needy, the poor, and the traveling alien, but do not be excessive, extravagant.

[17:27] The extravagant are brethren of the devils, and the devil is unappreciative of his Lord.

• اشهل صادق

Member August 30, 2021 at 10:05 pm

السلام عليكم

I think a better translation (to explain the purpose of the verse) would be:

اور رشتہ داروں کو ان کا حق ادا کرو اور مسافروں کو، اور فضول خرچی پر نہ اترو

• Umer

Moderator August 30, 2021 at 3:55 am

These verses that you referred to are pointing towards the same principle as to not be extravagant in one’s spending in general life.

Verse [25:67] is not talking about charity, it is talking about spending in general, just the way verse in [17:26] is discouraging extravagant spending, so that one should not ignore helping out the needy out there becasue of his extravagant attitude.

As far as limit on charity is concerned, Quran has not put any ceiling on amount that can be spent in charity, however, it is being made clear that all the requirements of charity from Allah are from the excess amount i.e. after setting aside money for personal and business use whether of the present or of the future what remains is the right of the society they live in [2:219].

Please see:

Discussion 31989

Every person has to decide for himself, considering his expenses, savings and future needs, whether he wants to go overboard with it or not. Because some special circumstaces, like the ones mentioned by you, made some Sahaba go overboard like Abubakr (rta) giving everything in Allah’s way and Umar (rta) giving half of everything, they were all instances of special circumstances where an emergency had lead them to make this decision i.e. (Ghazwa-e-Tabuk). However, in normal circumstances, the principle described above would prevail.

Following videos might be helpful in this regard:

Please refer to the video below from 27:10 to 31:11

• Umer

Moderator August 30, 2021 at 3:55 am

Please also refer to the video below from 37:04 to 38:21

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 30, 2021 at 9:48 pm

• اشهل صادق

Member August 30, 2021 at 9:56 pm

السلام عليكم

Sir, the verse does not say, “when they give,” but rather, “when they spend.” The verb here is أنفق which means to spend.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member August 30, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Thank you all. I think the translation I use is mistaken.

The discussion "What Does It Mean "Give Charity In Moderation"?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now