Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Was Al Fatihah Revealed On Prophet Muhammad ﷺ On Miraj Instead Of Earth?

• Was Al Fatihah Revealed On Prophet Muhammad ﷺ On Miraj Instead Of Earth?

Posted by Somiya Adrees on September 1, 2021 at 12:16 am

Asalamolaikum,

I’m a humble student of Islam. My question is “Did The opening of the Book (Al Fatihah) revealed onto Prophet Muhammad ﷺ on Miraj or earth?

There’s a Sahih Hadith in Sunan-an-Nasai that says ‘Prophet Muhammad ﷺ was given two lights on Miraj, an Angel opened the door and came along it and that door wasn’t ever opened before; that angel brought Al Fatihah and the last verses of Surah Al Baqarah. [Reference : Sunan an-Nasa’i 912: In-book reference : Book 11, Hadith 37: English translation : Vol. 2, Book 11, Hadith 913]

I’ve heard Ghamidi Sahab on this topic, his views are opposite of what the hadith says, so as many renowned scholars. Despite that, i cannot get a true sense of satisfaction. If Al Fatihah was revealed on the earth then why the Authentic Hadith is opposing this statement itself and if it was revealed on the heavens then why so many great scholars ignore this hadith?

Can anyone, Sir himself, or His team-mates clear this for me?

I’ll be truly grateful.

JazakAllah Khair.

Somiya Adrees replied 1 year, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Was Al Fatihah Revealed On Prophet Muhammad ﷺ On Miraj Instead Of Earth?

• Umer

Moderator September 1, 2021 at 3:06 am

Use of word “Authentic Hadith” does not imply that those words are exact words of the Prophet (sws). It is a term made by “Muhaddiseen” when any narration ascribed to the Prophet (sws) fulfills certains conditions to separate it from other kind of narrations which do not fulfil that criteria. The religion given by the Prophet (sws) has been transmitted to us through the most credible means of Ijma and Tawatur comprising of Quran and Sunnah. Ahadith are transmitted to us through comparatively less credible means of akhbar-i-ahad (Zanni ilm).

We understand Hadith from ‘Quran & Sunnah” and not ‘Quran & Sunnah’ from Hadith because:

1) Quran & Sunnah are in ‘as is’ format as given by Prophet (sws) himself as a source of religion.

2) Quran & Sunnah are transmitted through the most reliable means of ijma (consensus) and tawatur (quoli/amali) of Sahaba (rta) and passed on from one generation to another.

3) Hadith is not in ‘as is’ format, rather, it is in ‘as understood by narrator’ format without any context or pretext of the discussion.

4) It is transmitted through Akhbar-i-Ahad (narrations of one, two people etc.)

Therefore, Hadith is bound to be understood in the light of Quran & Sunnah. And when we try to understand any Hadith (words as understood by narrator) in the light of Quran (exact words of Prophet), this won’t create any confusion.

Following are the principles explained at length that must always be kept in mind when approaching any Hadith:

Discussion 56230

Following thread discusses further questions regarding Hadith as a source of Islamic Epistemology:

Discussion 21789

Since Fatiha is the first revelation and incident of First revelation according to Ghamidi Sahab has been explicitly mentioned in the Quran itself, therefore, any Hadith that on the face of it goes against this, needs further deliberation in the light of Quran.

For Fatiha as first revelation and incident of the first revelation from Quran, please refer to the following link from 13:18 till end:

Discussion 44130 • Reply 48115

And Mairaj has been establised to be a roiya of the Prophet (Dream) in which great prophecies and signs were shown to the Prophet (sws) and there were four separate incidents of Prophetic Experience that were being mixed up and confused with Mairaj. If this Hadith is referring to the incident mentioned in Surah Isra, then it is definitely referring to two lights i.e. Fatiha and Baqarah last verses as a sign of their importance, and not referring to their actual revelation becasue at that time Surah Fatiha had already been revealed to the Prophet on this Earth.

For details on Mairaj, you can refer to:

Discussion 45425

• Somiya Adrees

Member September 26, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. JazakAllah Khair.

The discussion "Was Al Fatihah Revealed On Prophet Muhammad ﷺ On Miraj Instead Of Earth?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now