Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia How Much Charity One Should Give?

Tagged: 

• How Much Charity One Should Give?

Posted by Rizwan Ali on September 9, 2021 at 5:18 am

Asalam o Alaikum! I have heard respected Javed Ahmad Ghamidi sahab in few programs saying in regards with charity that one should consider his present and future needs/expenses while giving charity. This means that if one has resources surplus to his present and future needs then he should give charity from that surplus.

Now, everyone views his needs in a subjective way. A very rich person needs a big house in a posh area and a lifestyle that could be maintained with huge amount of money. In contrast, another person with ordinary lifestyle might be having needs that could be covered with 100 times lesser amount of money.

Now if rich people while trying to maintain rich lifestyle and present and future needs may not find much surplus amount of money for charity whereas in actual they can spare huge amounts for charity if they are willing to lower down their expensive lifestyle a bit.

Apparently this greed of accumulating huge amounts of money to gain a ultra rich lifestyle creates classes where poor class is left with insufficient resources.

So is there any criteria while calculating my present and future needs in some objective or standard way?

Kindly elaborate!

Rizwan Ali replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • How Much Charity One Should Give?

Rizwan Ali updated 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator September 9, 2021 at 10:15 am

Apart from Zakat, there is no criteria for charity. However, it is encouraged to give more.

• Rizwan Ali

Member September 9, 2021 at 11:44 am

Actually I wanted to know in context with respected Javed Ghamidi sahab’s statement. As he said that one should consider his present and future needs while giving charity. Can I please get answer from respected Javed Ghamidi sahab?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 9, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I’m not sure if I understand what your confusion is. Are you suggesting that one should not consider his legitimate present and future needs? Please consider the following verse, hopefully it will help:

Quran 17:29

کہو۔اپنا ہاتھ نہ گردن سے باندھے رکھو اور نہ اُس کو بالکل کھلا چھوڑ دو کہ ملامت زدہ اور درماندہ ہو کر بیٹھ رہو

Al-Bayan’s note:

اوپر اسراف و تبذیر کی جو ممانعت وارد ہوئی ہے، یہ اُس کے بارے میں صحیح نقطۂ اعتدال کی وضاحت کر دی ہے کہ آدمی نہ اپنے ہاتھ بالکل باندھ لے اور نہ بالکل کھلے ہی چھوڑ دے کہ ضرورت کے وقت درماندہ اور ملامت زدہ ہو کر بیٹھا رہے، بلکہ اعتدال کے ساتھ خرچ کرے اور ہمیشہ کچھ بچا کر رکھے تاکہ اپنے اور دوسروں کے حقوق بر وقت ادا کر سکے۔

• Rizwan Ali

Member September 9, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Many thanks brother, I understand it better now.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 9, 2021 at 11:42 am

Greed is addressed as a separate issue in Islam and it should not be intermixed with charity.

If a person has surplus money and he’s called upon to help fulfill a genuine need of another person or the society then he is obligated to help with whatever he finds appropriate.

Along with a portion of one’s wealth and earnings that is pre-determined by God’s law, one is strongly encouraged to help the best that he can in situations requiring his help. This creates the best possible balance; there can’t be any better way.

• Rizwan Ali

Member September 9, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Many thanks brother, I understand it better now.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register