Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Standing Close Together In A Congressional Prayer

Tagged: 

• Standing Close Together In A Congressional Prayer

Posted by Shahabuddin Mohammed Abdul on September 15, 2021 at 9:24 pm

Assalam alaikum Ghamidi saheb, In Ahale Hadith mosques people following a practice of touching and keeping each other’s feet intact while standing for prayers in rows and also they see that it is maintained till the end of the namaz. They insist on this by saying that this will help in keeping the rows straight and it will also stop shaitan entering in between the people. They are preaching and practising this as this is the main thing of namaz. Is there any authenticity for this and what is their basis for this practice. Kindly clarify so that people will not be misguided. Thank you sir .

Dawar Hussain replied 2 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Standing Close Together In A Congressional Prayer

Dawar Hussain updated 2 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 24 Replies
  • Mohammad Asim

Member September 15, 2021 at 11:44 pm

WAS

Brother: if any mosque or any person in mosque insist you on way of your praying please humbly kindly say “mind your own business”

Keeping feet together stop shetan I don’t know but it will definitely stop molvi from passing through. This is non sense. No authenticity.

there is no force insist of any kind in Islam.

However keeping feet together is insist by people of mosque, or by mosque molvi NOT Islam. Hope it helps.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 16, 2021 at 1:07 am

In a congressional prayer, it’s required to keep a straight row. Also no unnecessary gaps should be left between people in a row. It is however not required to touch our feet, but it’s just a way to ensure straight rows and that’s why they insist upon it.

• Afia Khan

Member September 16, 2021 at 8:14 am

I think if they insist then just follow that rule. They are doing with good intentions. The importance of straightening the safs are proven by Ahadith. If you cannot concentrate on your Salat because of this then go to the different masjid. Usually imam (even in Ahnaaf) announces before starting salah to straighten the rows shoulder to shoulder feet to feet. The only difference of opinion is in joining each other’s feet. Adopting any of the ruling is fine I think.

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 16, 2021 at 9:01 am

I respectfully, disagree & this is my perspective. I, myself, personally speaking if was insist, force, Incapacitated, where I am uncomfortable, I have right to stay in comfort and pray in Allah house (mosque).

By understanding Abdul concern, I never feel comfortable next person to me in prayer touches my feet, it’s very uncomfortable and very distracting.

Everyone has right to pray in complete comfort, he should never, go to other mosque he has right to pray in same mosque in his complete comfort.

I cannot be insist on something that is proven by history (Hadith).

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 16, 2021 at 9:06 am

“In a congressional prayer, it’s required to keep a straight row. Also no unnecessary gaps should be left between people in a row. It is however not required to touch our feet, but it’s just a way to ensure straight rows and that’s why they insist upon it.”

If it’s not Required, it cannot be, should not be, insist upon.

• Shahabuddin Mohammed Abdul

Member September 16, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Dear brothers , Don’t take this personal instead of expressing our understanding and giving suggestions how to over come the problem is it not better for us to find out the true basis for their practice in sunnah or in Hadith. If Hadith is their basis and it’s authenticity. If it’s not in our comprehension why can’t we take the help of our reverend Ustaad Javeed Ahmed Ghamidi saheb and make it known to all. After all our quest is to find out the truth. One more thing after Surah faatiha in congregation they also say Ameen very loudly and in tashahud they go on shaking the index finger vigorously from the beginning to end . Kindly take note of this two also. Thank you jazakallahu khair.

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 16, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Brother Abdul: no one is getting personal, we are discussing, understanding, and giving suggestions. You all questions are based of history (Hadith) don’t confuse yourself instead focusing on these history (Hadith) open & read Quran.

ٱلَّذِینَ هُمۡ فِی صَلَاتِهِمۡ خَـٰشِعُونَ ﴿ ٢ ﴾

• Muhammad Junagarhi:

جو اپنی نماز میں خشوع کرتے ہیں (2)

• Dr. Mustafa Khattab:

those who humble themselves in prayer; (2)

• Sahih International:

They who are during their prayer humbly submissive (2)

• English Transliteration:

Allatheena hum fee salatihimkhashiAAoon (2)

Al-Mu’minun, Ayah 2

Quran don’t say: feet together, pray louder, shaking finger, not moving finger. Simply pray humbly, in obedience, in comfort, in focus, in care of others, in submission of Allah.

Hope it helps IA

Member September 16, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Mohammed Asim bh Assalam alaikum, just for your information by the grace of Almighty Alhamdulillah I can read and understand the Quran text by itself as I know arabic. You are not understood my point of view you are in hurry to pacify me My point of view is since they are preaching and practicing some thing they must be having some base or they can cite worth mentioning some where in sunnah or in Hadith. I want to know and also others to know their arguments base. By knowing this If possible we can make them understand their nonsense or at least we can have satisfaction that what they are doing is not worth following. I hope you got my point. Jazakallahu khair for your active participation. Ameen

Member September 16, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Dear brothers, one more thing in tashaud they sit in a peculiar way and they say all these are prophet Mohammed saws practice .

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 17, 2021 at 12:43 am

ASA

Brother Abdul, please don’t rely on someone said, someone saw. You read Quran understand Quran stay with Quran.

Close your eyes and pray in your comfort forget about everything else.

• Talha Mujahid

Member September 16, 2021 at 10:53 pm

As for those hadiths which insist prayer-rows must be straightened, the following is a representative selection:

1. Anas relates; the Prophet ﷺ said: ‘Straighten your rows and keep close together, for indeed I see you from behind my back.’1

2. Abu Mas‘ud al-Ansari related that the Prophet ﷺ would touch our shoulders at the prayer, saying: ‘Straighten [your rows] and do not differ, lest your hearts differ.’2

3. Abu Umamah relates the Prophet ﷺ saying: ‘Straighten your rows, stand shoulder to shoulder, be soft upon your brother and fill the gaps, for the devil enters through the gaps like the small lambs.’3

4. Ibn ‘Abbas relates; the Prophet ﷺ said: ‘The best of you are those whose shoulders are the gentlest in the prayer.’4

5. Anas also relates that the Prophet ﷺ said: ‘Stand close together in your rows, keep them near each other and stand neck to neck. By Him in whose hand is my life, I see the devil entering between the gaps as do the small lambs.’5

6. Al-Nu‘man b. Bashir related that the Prophet ﷺ said: ‘Straighten your rows. For by Allah, if you do not straighten your rows, Allah will separate your hearts.’6

The above hadiths demonstrate that straightening the rows for prayer, and filling the gaps between people standing in prayer, is highly emphasised; a few jurists holding it to be obligatory.7 We further see that being neglectful about doing so could result in hearts being at odds with one another (as per the 2nd and 6th hadith): the shari’ah of Islam loathing even the slightest cause of disunity.

II

As for how the rows must be aligned and straightened, the following two companion-reports seem to lie at the heart of the contention:

Firstly, having related the 1st hadith, Anas, may Allah be pleased with him, went on to say: ‘I saw each one of us join shoulder to shoulder and ankle bone to ankle bone with that of his companion.’8

Secondly, at the end of the 6th hadith, al-Nu‘man b. Bashir, may Allah be pleased with him, remarked: ‘I saw each man join shoulder to shoulder with that of his companion, knee to knee with that of his companion, and ankle bone to ankle bone with that of his [companion].’9

In recent decades, and based upon these two companion-reports, some now hold that one is to literally [physically] join shoulders and feet with the persons praying either side of them. This they believe is the Sunnah that is to be maintained throughout the entire length of time one is standing in the prayer. At first glance, the opinion seems to be quite validated. But shine a little light on this claim and some quirky problems begin to show themselves.

III

Now before spotlighting some of these anomalies, it’s worth getting a grip on what’s at stake here. For this isn’t intended to be a bit of a fiqhi argy-bargy for its own sake. Not at all! Instead, the fact of the matter is that the above claim (that one is required to literally join shoulders and feet) is something of a point of dogma with many of its advocates. To them, this act isn’t only prescribed by the shari‘ah; more than that, it is: ‘an abandoned Sunnah that must be revived.’10 Who has it been abandoned by? Well, apparently not just by the ordinary laymen; those unschooled in the finer points of fiqh. But by the vast majority of the fuqaha and ‘ulema too! And just how long has this alleged Sunnah been abandoned? Apparently for more than a thousand years; in other words, for the majority of Islam’s fourteen hundred year history.

That’s not all: feeling more than a little privileged at being told of a sunnah neglected for the past millennium, the advocates are enjoined ‘to call the people to it, until they unify upon it’.11 Such is the spirit of dogma and missionary zeal which has been bred, that those who differ with this stance – even if they be from the ranks of the qualified scholars – can find themselves accused of ‘denigrating and belittling the status of the Sunnah.‘12 Lamentably, such can be the stakes.

IV

So what are these anomalies? And how should the above two companion-reports be understood? As it happens, they’re quite straightforward to grasp. They do not require a trained juristic mind.

For instance, the norm among such practitioners is that they will get their shoulders and feet to literally touch the shoulder and foot of those standing either side of them in the prayer row. Yet why limit it to shoulders and feet; to just these two body parts? Where’s the proof? For doesn’t one of the reports mention knees as well?

To stand in the prayer, with not only shoulders and sides of the feet touching those on either side, but the sides of the knees too, makes for a highly awkward and difficult standing. For many, getting the knees to physically touch those praying on either side requires having to stand bandy-legged: standing with one’s legs curved outwards such that one’s knees are pushed wider apart and closer to one’s neighbours’. Is this gawky and ungraceful posture really what’s called for?

Furthermore, the apparent wordings of the reports do not actually mention feet, but rather anklebones (al-kabayn). Again, what’s the proof for not taking this literally? It could well be a case of the fiqh maxim: itlaq al-ba‘d wa iradat al-kul – ‘mentioning the part, but intending the whole.’ But what’s the proof for this being the case?

And if, as some die hards attempt to do, one insists on physically joining anklebone to anklebone, many people will not only be standing bandy-legged, but they’d also have to turn their feet outwards slightly in order for their anklebone to be physically joined to that of their companion. Such a standing goes from being awkward and unseemly, to being a tad gruelling and insufferable. As for how one can maintain the prescribed sakinah and adab – the tranquility, composure and dignified courtesy – in the prayer, in such a standing, it does beggar belief.

And what about the Prophet’s directive ﷺ to align the necks (as per the 5th hadith)? Should they be touching too? Obviously not!

Given the quirks and conundrums a literal reading of these hadith and reports throw up, a better reading of the reports could be what one contemporary scholar wrote: ‘All this – to straighten [the rows]; keep them aligned; and fill in the gaps – doesn’t mean that [the bodily parts] must physically touch. For getting necks to touch is impossible. Keeping shoulders touching throughout the entire standing is clearly taxing. Getting knees to touch is impossible. And ankles touching is, to an extent, unattainable … It is therefore evident that being close is from a single perspective, and it is in four things: necks, shoulders, knees and ankles. What is intended is to urge the establishment of the rows, keep them aligned and consolidate them: without any crookedness or gaps. By this, the aim of the Lawgiver is attained.’13

The above reading is more in keeping with what earlier, classical jurists have stated on the matter – as will follow shortly.

V

If, for a moment, we put aside talk of how right or not the ‘physical-touching’ reading is, yet even the application of it is often so very wrong. For what this opinion devolves down to a lot of the time is: fidgeting in the prayer so as to get feet touching; wedging one’s foot tightly against another’s (its detractors call it ‘foot-jamming’); and standing with feet so far apart that it causes huge gaps between peoples’ shoulders. Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymin once remarked:

‘From the extremism in this issue is what is done by some people, in that one of them will join his ankle with that of his companion, but his feet will be so wide apart that there will be a gap between his shoulder and that of his neighbour’s; thus opposing the Sunnah by doing so. Rather the aim is that shoulders and ankles should be aligned with one another.’14

Blinded by their uncritical convictions, such people fail to see how they contradict the Sunnah of filling the gaps, due to standing with feet so wide apart that it causes large gaps between people’s shoulders.

They fail to see how they breach the duty of limbs being reverent, tranquil and still; or hearts being attentive, mindful and focused (collectively called khushu‘), in the prayer, because of constantly fidgeting and foot-jamming.

And they fail to see how they violate the prescribed gentleness towards those praying next to them (as per the 4th hadith), because of an extreme reading, confusing means with ends, and an unwarranted rigidness in religious practice.

VI

The bulk of jurists down the ages have understood the reports which mention knees and ankles are to be joined, to mean that they could be utilised to help align the rows; not that they should physically touch. Explaining al-Bukhari’s words in his Sahih al-Bukhari: ‘Chapter: Joining Shoulder to Shoulder and Foot to Foot in the Prayer-Row’, Ibn Hajr al-‘Asqalani stated: ‘What is meant by this is to exaggerate [the importance of] straightening the rows and filling the gaps (al-mubalaghah fi ta‘dil al-saff wa saddi khalalihi).’15

After citing the above statement of Ibn Hajr, Shaykh Anwar Shah al-Kashmiri noted: ‘It is [also] the intended meaning in the view of the jurists from the Four Schools (al-fuqaha al-arba‘ah).’16

Al-Shawkani explains the hadith (no.3) which orders to ‘stand shoulder to shoulder’ to mean: ‘Aligning the body parts with one another so that the shoulders of each person praying are arranged and in line with the shoulders of others. In this way, shoulders and necks will be aligned.’17

VII

To conclude: One hadith states that: ‘Allah’s Messenger ﷺ would straighten our rows as though he were straightening the shaft of an arrow, until he saw that we had learnt it. One day he came out and was about to commence the prayer, when he noticed a man whose chest was protruding from the row. He said: “O slaves of Allah! Straighten your rows, or else Allah may cause dissension among you.”’18

As to the expression: ‘he would straighten our rows as though he were straightening the shaft of an arrow’, Imam al-Nawawi explains that an arrow’s shaft (qidah) ‘is the long, wooden part of an arrow that is pared and trimmed [until it is as straight as can be] … Meaning that he paid great attention to making the rows straight, as if he were sparing no effort to straighten an arrow and keep it uncurved as possible.’19

This alone should help us realise just how punctilious we each should be to keep the prayer lines straight and to fill in the gaps. There’s an even greater responsibility upon the person who leads the prayer to ensure that this happens. The Sunnah demands we show no slackness in this, as part of our reverent quest to be present with Allah in the actual prayer.

As for how the prayer-rows are to be formed and straightened, we’ve seen that there is no requirement to join feet or knees with those praying on either side, such that they physically touch. Ironically, insisting upon only this view and refusing to accept the validity of any other scholarly view, creates the very schism between Muslims that the hadiths wish us to avoid. Classical jurists chose not to follow such a literal reading of the reports, not out of neglect on their part (as some would have us believe); but out of a keen knowledge of the intent of the reports. Their collective juristic wisdom also came down in favour of worshippers each standing with their feet roughly the width of four fingers apart, or even a handspan, presumably to reflect a sense of humility of posture.20 In this way, each person aligns their shoulders with those on either side of them and ensures that gaps are gently filled. The worshippers may then focus on the Great Encounter that lies immediately ahead of them: Allahu akbar!

And Allah knows best.

==================
    References

==================

1. Al-Bukhari, no.719.

2. Muslim, no.432.

3. Ahmad, Musnad, no.21760. It was confirmed as authentic (sahih) in al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami‘ al-Saghir (Beirut: al-Maktab al-Islami, 1986), no.1840.

4. Abu Dawud, Sunan, no.672. The hadith, with its collective support, is sahih – as per al-Albani, Silsilat al-Ahadith al-Sahihah (Riyadh: Maktabah al-Ma‘arif, 1996), no.2533.

5. Abu Dawud, no.667; al-Nasa’i, no.814, with a sahih chain. See: al-Nawawi, al-Majmu‘ Sharh al-Muhadhdhab (Beirut: Dar al-Fikr, 2000), 4:227; and Albani, Sahih Sunan Abi Dawud (Kuwait: Dar Ghiras, 2002), no.673; al-Arna’ut, Sunan Abi Dawud (Damascus: Dar al-Risalah al-‘Alamiyyah, 2009), 2:9.

6. Abu Dawud, no.662 and its chain is sahih. Cf. Silsilat al-Ahadith al-Sahihah (Riyadh: Maktabah al-Ma‘arif, 1995), no.32.

7. Like al-Bukhari, Ibn Hazm and al-Shawkani. See: al-‘Asqalani, Fath al-Bari (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-‘Ilmiyyah, 1989), 2:266; al-Shawkani, Nayl al-Awtar (Dar al-Mustaqbal, 2005), 3:211.

8. Al-Bukhari, no.719. Shaykh al-Albani wrote: ‘This addition also occurs in the report of al-Mukhallis and Ibn Abi Shaybah [1/351] with the following wording: Anas said, “I saw each of us joining our shoulders with those of our companions and our feet with those of our companions. If you were to do this today, a person would flee [from you] like a restless mule.” And its chain is also authentic, according to the conditions of the two Shaykhs.’ Silsilat al-Ahadith al-Sahihah, 1:1:71; no.31.

9. Abu Dawud, no.662.

10. Al-Albani, Silsilat al-Ahadith al-Sahihah, 1:1:70; no.31.

11. ibid., 1:1:73; no.32

12. ibid., 1:1:73.

13. Bakr Abu Zayd, La Jadid fi Ahkam al-Salah (Riyadh: Dar al-‘Asimah, 1998), 14.

14. Majmu‘ Fatawa wa Rasa’il (Riyadh: Dar al-Watn, 1992), 13:52; no.428.

15. Fath al-Bari bi Sharh Sahih al-Bukhari (Cairo: Dar al-‘Alamiyyah, 2012), 2:561.

16. Fayd al-Bari (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-‘Ilmiyyah, 2005), 2:302.

17. Nayl al-Awtar (Riyadh: Dar Ibn al-Jawzi, 2006), 6:113.

18. Al-Bukhari, no.717; Muslim, no.436.

19. Sharh Sahih Muslim (Beirut: Dar al-Kutub al-‘Ilmiyyah, 1995), 4:131.

20. See: al-Kashmiri, Fayd al-Bari, 2:302.

==================

Courtesy

==================

http://www.equranlibrary.com/

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 17, 2021 at 12:40 am

Brother ASA

I see a lot of efforts in your copy paste, but here is Very Important suggestion all the energy you invested into explaining , and justify through history(Hadith). Use very little energy in opening up Quran and Read.

Reference Quran. Not a irrelevant history literature. Hope this helps.

• Talha Mujahid

Member September 17, 2021 at 1:50 am

Brother first of all I’ve shared reference of copied content.

Secondly Can you explain the way of praying in the light of Quran

Where azan is in Quran, rakat of namaz in Quran, the other main things about namaz are mentioned?

Really you’ll not find them we can prove them by sunnat.

Sunnat is transferred to us with tawatur.

For counter verification of sunnah @faisalharoon will guide you surely.

Sir Please share a thread with him related to Fahm e sunnat

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 17, 2021 at 10:13 am

Before I start explaining prayer in light of Quran?

Do me a favor instead history (Hadith) go just open and read Quran. I can quote hundred Quran verse about namaz rakat…..etc.

I ask you ? Where did prayer come from who thought prophet swa prayer.

Quran or Hadith?

Before anyone bombard history (Hadith) reference please reference Quran.

Problem is everyone had so much knowledge on history (Hadith)they make history a religion NO one quote Quran. This is SAD

• Mohammad Asim

Member September 18, 2021 at 9:53 am

You said: Where azan is in Quran, rakat of namaz in Quran, the other main things about namaz are mentioned?

Where is McDonald’s near you?

You, pick up the phone, (pick up Quran) open it (open Quran) then search McDonald’s (search adhan,rakat) phone tells you the directions (Quran tells you directions) you, start driving (start reading) 5 mins later “you have reach you destination” (Quran say you’ve reached your answer)

Member September 17, 2021 at 7:30 am

Assalam alaikum Talaha Mujahed bh Thanks a lot for your great effort in addressing the issue and it’s now quite clear jazakallahu khair. Do you have any information or link regarding the other issues I raised if so kindly share.

• Dawar Hussain

Moderator September 17, 2021 at 7:47 am

Raising a Finger in Tashahhud During Prayer

Member September 17, 2021 at 7:48 am

Assalam alaikum Asim bh , Thanks a lot for sharing a good informative video of our Ustaad Ghamidi saheb which is quite relavent to the topic we are discussing. Jazakallahu khair

Member September 18, 2021 at 9:25 am

Assalam alaikum, Dawar hussain bh Thanks a lot for addressing the one issue among the issues I raised. Only issue the sitting posture in tashaud is left out. is there any one who can address this with relevant information. Jazakallahu khair. Ameen

Member October 12, 2021 at 11:20 pm

What should be the right sitting posture in tashaud ? what is the real base for its practice? Is it the same for all genders? I s there any difference in males and females posture in tashaud? Is it optional?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 13, 2021 at 5:42 am

No different postures for prayer have been prescribed by the prophet. What is in practice is the way people and women adopted according to their ease .

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 13, 2021 at 5:43 am

But later certain postures were insisted upon without any valid reason.

• Dawar Hussain

Moderator October 14, 2021 at 5:46 am

This video further sheds light on your question indirectly. This reiterates Irfan Sb’s answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2KyB9ZiXPE

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register