Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Bribes To Justify High Expenses

Tagged: 

• Bribes To Justify High Expenses

Posted by Muhammad on September 28, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Salam. I am a police officer in punjab police serving at the rank of Sub inpector. I have done a number of investigations during which with the limited pay we are bound to perform our duty and expenses are a lot more than what we are paid. So to maintain these expenditures we have no other way except to take bribe from people. There is no other possible way. So is it haraam or considering the reality we can do so??

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Bribes To Justify High Expenses

Faisal Haroon updated 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • ودود

Member September 28, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Nothing can justify an injustice – better start a private crime investigation service business and earn halal.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 29, 2021 at 2:24 am

High expenses are no justification for accepting bribes. Perhaps the expenses could be cut down, however, God’s law regarding justice is very clear. Please see:

Quran 4:135-136

Translation by Muhammad Asad

O YOU who have attained to faith! Be ever steadfast in upholding equity (justice), bearing witness to the truth for the sake of God, even though it be against your own selves or your parents and kinsfolk. Whether the person concerned be rich or poor, God’s claim takes precedence over [the claims of] either of them. Do not, then, follow your own desires, lest you swerve from justice: for if you distort [the truth], behold, God is indeed aware of all that you do! O you who have attained to faith! Hold fast unto your belief in God and His Apostle, and in the divine writ which He has bestowed from on high upon His Apostle, step by step, as well as in the revelation which He sent down aforetime: for he who denies God, and His angels, and His revelations, and His apostles, and the Last Day, has indeed gone far astray.

• Muhammad

Member September 29, 2021 at 3:43 am

It doesn’t mean that I have done any injustice to any one. I have tried every time to uphold justice. But my question was without doing any injustice to anyone can we do so? We have to pay for lot of other things in course of our investugation which we cannot do with our pay. So please suggest some thing?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 29, 2021 at 10:03 am

The term “bribe” means to help someone unjustly gain an edge in return for a material gain for oneself. If that’s not the case then it may not be considered a bribe, however, it may still be above the law and immoral. General rulings can’t be provided in such situations because there’s a lot of variation from one situation to another.

I can, however, make a suggestion for a stopgap solution: if the government is not paying for your legitimate job expenses, perhaps the police force can make an effort to establish a fund and solicit citizens to donate their money to it. The fund can be transparent in its usage and the money collected can pay for non-reimbursed expenses for all cases. The effort can probably be started at one police station and then later expand from there.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register