Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam A Slave Girl Of Medina Could Take The Prophet Wherever She Wanted By His Hand

• A Slave Girl Of Medina Could Take The Prophet Wherever She Wanted By His Hand

Posted by اشهل صادق on October 3, 2021 at 8:48 am

السلام عليكم

There is a Hadith in the Jami ul-Sahih of Imam Al-Bukhari that any slave-girl of Medina could take the Prophet صلى الله تعالى عليه وسلم by his hand wherever she wished. This is the Hadith:

قَالَ كَانَتِ الأَمَةُ مِنْ إِمَاءِ أَهْلِ الْمَدِينَةِ لَتَأْخُذُ بِيَدِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَتَنْطَلِقُ بِهِ حَيْثُ شَاءَتْ‏.‏

Sahih al-Bukhari 6072

Usually scholars think that a man touching a woman for any purpose or vice versa is Haram and, therefore, try to explain رسول الله صلى الله تعالى عليه وسلم. They say that this does not mean actual physical touching but the readiness of the Prophet صلى الله تعالى عليه وسلم to help slave-girls. I wanted to ask, can the sentence be interpreted like that in all sincerity? With the friendly nature of the Prophet صلى الله تعالى عليه وسلم, I can see the painted by the report actually happening.

اشهل صادق replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • A Slave Girl Of Medina Could Take The Prophet Wherever She Wanted By His Hand

• Umer

Moderator October 3, 2021 at 12:06 pm

I think its a very beautiful picture painted by these narrations, that how slave-girls always looked up to the Prophet (sws) as their elder and would consider Him (sws) to be their guardian; and how humble was the Prophet (sws) to be never bothered by such impositions and had always resolved their issues, no matter how small or big. Traditional view had to go with this narrative as mentioned by you because it goes directly against their long-held view about shaking hands with women. But honestly, there’s no room for such explanation in these narrations.

Regarding shaking hands with women, this maybe helpful (I have used these narrations aswell in my response):

Discussion 31467 • Reply 31498

• اشهل صادق

Member October 3, 2021 at 8:09 pm

السلام عليكم

Thank you, Umer Bhai!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register