Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Abortion Of A Disabled Foetus After 120 Days Of Conception

Tagged: 

• Abortion Of A Disabled Foetus After 120 Days Of Conception

Posted by Muhammad on October 7, 2021 at 10:51 am

Abortion after came to know our child has severe heart defects, series of surgeries make possible to give some months to have another surgery and so on and finally some years of life if child could be able to bear series of surgeries after birth but life will me on medications and other organ failure is common and hospital will be our 2nd house, however doctors also recommend abortion and some doctors suggest to let your child rest in peace after delivery by giving medication. The week we calculated is 17 weeks of pregnancy and day is 120 approximately from date when conceived .how is it to take decision of abortion to save child from miserable life.

If we choose life , then how we deal our stress, grief and bear painful life of our child, my wife said I can’t live with this condition of our child and let him stay in peace now.

As you know our social circle makes such incidents also more stressful rather then supportive by asking stupid question and making stupid assumptions , why Allah did this. Usually we listen child is a reflection of parents deeds. Whatever we ask for forgiveness but this child condition is irreversible. Need guidance from Ghamdi Sahib to deal this situation .

Faraz Siddiqui replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Abortion Of A Disabled Foetus After 120 Days Of Conception

Faraz Siddiqui updated 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Faraz Siddiqui

Member October 7, 2021 at 1:46 pm

so sorry for your ordeal brother, only Allah can comfort your heart

Few yrs back my sister found out that her child will be mentally disabled like her first born. I advised her to do abortion she did, here’s my reasoning

Parents have no right to bring a child in this world knowingly that his/her life will be nothing but misery and pain. The child will never enjoy a warmth of mother’s love, playfulness of siblings and friends, care of a loving father. everyday child will suffer, either pain from illness, pain from disability, pain from neglect from others particularly family

this is not a religious issue but a human issue. You do not need a religious answer.

neither it is related to you or your wife, it is related to your child and your child alone. If you decide against abortion, you r deciding a painful life for someone else. You will keep on enjoying normal activities like walking, running or foods of your choice or freedom to do as you please but you will be taking away all that from someone else

• Umer

Moderator October 7, 2021 at 2:19 pm

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the following video:

https://youtu.be/OFZdNZVYBkI

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member October 7, 2021 at 3:27 pm

I would, respectfully, disagree with Ghamidi sahab’s view point

the hadith is mentioning a spiritual process and not a physical transformation into human from animal. It is human from day 1 biologically. The context of the hadith is not related to, as far as i know, sanctity of human life (plz correct me if i understood wrong)

child is human from the beginning, a cow’s calf is a cow at the time of conception and similarly a human child is a human since conception because it is conceived from human DNA and not animal DNA.

once born it is a human and treated as such and its life could not be taken by anyone including parents

when inside the womb it is part of mothers body and she has the right to decide to abort if she wishes too. We can reprimand on moral grounds if she does it to get away from responsibilities or out of fear of poverty or disfigurement of her body etc.

Allah said that He doesn’t harm anyone beyond his/her affordability but if parents bring forth a such a child knowingly then they r subjecting him to more suffering and it is even worse that we think it is Allah’s will to make him suffer.

This is from Allah’s mercy that He has allowed us to tell before birth about such defects and also provide us means to avoid life of suffering for our children.

This is neither euthanasia (the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma) or eugenics.

Lastly, if u want religious opinion than Ghamidi sahab’s is absolutely correct in the religion sense. To me, this is not a religious but a human issue

• Umer

Moderator October 9, 2021 at 10:28 am

Since Quran differentiates between these two phases i.e. before and after ‘nafkh-e-ruh‘, therefore, the idea is not farfetched if we can somehow distingush between these two phases in current births. And if it is a complete human being after nafkh-e-ruh, then taking of that life after that time-period should also fall with the purview of taking any human’s life.

الَّذِیْ أَحْسَنَ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ خَلَقَهُ وَبَدَأَ خَلْقَ الْإِنْسَانِ مِنْ طِيْنٍ. ثُمَّ جَعَلَ نَسْلَهُ مِنْ سُلَالَةٍ مِّنْ مَّآءٍ مَّهِيْنٍ. ثُمَّ سَوَّاهُ وَنَفَخَ فِيْهِ مِنْ رُّوحِهِ وَجَعَلَ لَكُمُ السَّمْعَ وَالْأَبْصَارَ وَالْأَفْئِدَةَ قَلِيْلًا مَّا تَشْكُرُوْنَ.

[It is He] Who has excelled in the creation of everything. He began creating a human being from clay; then carried on his progeny from an insignificant fluid; then perfected it and blew into it from His spirit and for you made ears [for hearing], eyes [for seeing] and hearts [for understanding] – seldom are you grateful. (Quran 32:7-9)

Following is the complete article of Ghamidi Sahab in this regard:

ABORTION:

When one hundred and twenty days pass after the conception of a foetus, aborting it is prohibited. After this period, the killing of the foetus is actually the killing of a human being which, according to the Quran, amounts to killing the whole of mankind. The Quranic punishment for this is eternal Hell. However, before this time-period, abortion is allowed; but this allowance too is not absolute; there must be a legitimate excuse and a palpable reason for it. In Islamic jurisprudence, this period of one hundred and twenty days has been fixed for abortion because at the end of this period a child is bestowed with human personality. Before this time, however, he is a mere physical being devoid of complete human characteristics and lives in this state. At the end of this one hundred and twenty day period when his physical being culminates, the Almighty bestows human personality to this being. It is this act of God which the Quran has called the transformation of the foetus into a new creation:

وَلَقَدۡ خَلَقۡنَا الۡاِنۡسَانَ مِنۡ سُلٰلَۃٍ مِّنۡ طِیۡنٍ.ثُمَّ جَعَلۡنٰہُ نُطۡفَۃً فِیۡ قَرَارٍ مَّکِیۡنٍ.ثُمَّ خَلَقۡنَا النُّطۡفَۃَ عَلَقَۃً فَخَلَقۡنَا الۡعَلَقَۃَ مُضۡغَۃً فَخَلَقۡنَا الۡمُضۡغَۃَ عِظٰمًا فَکَسَوۡنَا الۡعِظٰمَ لَحۡمًا ٭ ثُمَّ اَنۡشَاۡنٰہُ خَلۡقًا اٰخَرَ ؕ فَتَبٰرَکَ اللّٰہُ اَحۡسَنُ الۡخٰلِقِیۡنَ. (23: 12-14)

We first created man from an essence of clay: then converted it into a drop of fluid at a secure place. Then made the drop into a clot of blood, and the clot to a lump of flesh. Then We fashioned bones in it, then clothed the bones with flesh; then transformed it into another creation. Blessed be God, the best of creators. (23:12-14)

In the beginning, when God created man from the womb of the earth, He adopted this very method. The Quran says that first the physical being of man was created; after that he was given the ability to produce offspring; he was then given perfection. Two of the creatures which were produced as a result were selected and spirit was blown into them. This process created Adam and Eve as human beings equipped with the abilities of cognizant speech and intellectual awareness:

بَدَاَ خَلۡقَ الۡاِنۡسَانِ مِنۡ طِیۡنٍ.ثُمَّ جَعَلَ نَسۡلَہٗ مِنۡ سُلٰلَۃٍ مِّنۡ مَّآءٍ مَّہِیۡنٍ.ثُمَّ سَوّٰىہُ وَ نَفَخَ فِیۡہِ مِنۡ رُّوۡحِہٖ وَ جَعَلَ لَکُمُ السَّمۡعَ وَ الۡاَبۡصَارَ وَ الۡاَفۡـِٕدَۃَ ؕ قَلِیۡلًا مَّا تَشۡکُرُوۡنَ. (32: 7-9)

He began creating man with clay, then made his generation grow through a despicable drop of fluid. He then perfected him and breathed His spirit into him and [in a similar manner] gave you ears and eyes and hearts: yet you are seldom thankful. (32:7-9)

The Prophet (sws) has explained that all the phases of creation of the physical being of a human being take one hundred and twenty days. After this, spirit is blown into him and the creature called the “Human Being” comes into existence. He is reported to have said:

اِنَّ اَحَدَكُمْ يُجْمَعُ خَلْقُهُ في بَطْنِ اُمِّهِ اَرْبَعِينَ يَوْمًا ثُمَّ يَكُونُ في ذلك عَلَقَةً مِثْلَ ذلك ثُمَّ يَكُونُ في ذلك مُضْغَةً مِثْلَ ذلك ثُمَّ يُرْسَلُ الْمَلَكُ فَيَنْفُخُ فيه الرُّوحَ

Each of you is formed in the womb of your mother for forty days; then in this same time period he becomes a clot of blood; then becoming a lump of flesh also takes the same number of days; then the angel is sent forth and he breathes the spirit into him.[1]

It is because of these stipulations of the Quran and Hadith that the period for abortion has been fixed for one hundred and twenty days.

(Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(Translated by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

[1].Muslim, Al-Jami‘ al-sahih.vol. 2, 2036, (no. 2643).

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member October 9, 2021 at 12:27 pm

Thank you brother Umer for clarifying Ghamidi sahab’s opinion

I’ve read this view and similar views from other scholars for sometime now. My main concern is what is the reason to take this hadith a definition of physical or biological transformation into human?

Why we can not make the argument that abortion is illegal from day 1 because the embryo is human biologically from day 1, ruh will be breathed in it on day 120 and since ruh can only be breathed into a human, the embryo should be regarded as human?

The idea of differentiating between 2 stages i.e. animal then human is an inference only. Neither the quran or the hadith identifies it as such. The quoted ayahs talking about the majesty of Allah and not defining what makes human being. Allah and Muhammad SAW’s explained a spiritual process and not a biological or physical one. Similar example would be prostration by celestial bodies or trees or other non-living things mentioned in the Quran and hadith, again, not a physical process but a spiritual or metaphysical one. If this is taken literally then how do we justify cutting trees and make toilet paper? or use stones for cleaning although there’s a miracle of Muhammad SAW reported where stone gave shahada on his hand

Now we know that a human embryo is a human embryo from day 1 of conception so this idea that its an animal form till day 120 then it become human is against Mussalamat-e-aqal / reason.

ayah 32:7-9, ears eyes and hearts are mentioned after nafakh-e-ruh, so should we say after ruh is instilled then these organs r made? if so, any birth defect in any of these organs means ruh wasn’t instilled so the child is less human? or not a human?

In my view the mixing of religion and biology is not the intention of Allah or Muhammad SAW.

I apologize for keep arguing but, over the yrs, I’ve seen lot of people losing faith when they thought doing something religious will cure them or their loved one and it never works! this is worse with the pandemic of covid-19. I believe we r making children suffer in the name of religion and also hurting their parents and above all, holding Allah the most merciful, responsible for this life long suffering.

• Muhammad

Member October 9, 2021 at 8:50 pm

I agree with Faraz sahib. If we came to know with such knowledge+ technology and advancement in science then we should take decision according to it. The lady in village didn’t know what they are going to face and child would die after birth Because it can’t survive without medications to keep duct open. So new born death rate is different in such areas.

And again Faraz sahib made a valid point. And also We are loosing faith in religion. You let us suffer on the name of religion, luckily just giving stance as haram on abortion is different and facing the reality is different. Still u don’t have any valid logic of giving Ruh after 120 days .

You just have information of completion process ,even though some fetus took more time/ days to get embryo and become a complete fetus . What distinguishes a fetus without Ruh and with Ruh , days are just numbers , when my wife had first pregnancy there was just an empty sack till 7 weeks without embryo. And that pregnancy heart beat started at week 10 approximately, however, we know as it usually started in 5 1/2or 6 weeks of gestation.

Faraz sahib is Right. Now I realize this is not an Islamic issue.

• Muhammad

Member October 9, 2021 at 9:00 pm

I was thinking ghamdi Sahib might have more knowledge and information related to this, but he is lacking behind. And still if you said the first case of pregnancy as a sack without embryo is rear then you must find out there are number of cases of such pregnancy where heart beat of embryo showed late . And completion of fetus stage is different from pregnancy to pregnancy.

If Allah has given some level of knowledge to doctors then we should use that knowledge to make decisions. Unfortunately we ,who are sensitive ,took awful decisions related to others ,on the name of religion.

I am disappointed. With what you provided the material .but I m more satisfied with this platform as I found Faraz sahib ,who made more valid point then you Umer sahib .

• Muhammad

Member October 9, 2021 at 9:11 pm

With due respect ,I suggest ghamdi foundation should collect the information related to what is going on in technology , and pregnancy and developmental issues (everything) and then give us some up-dated fatwa on such topic please.

Otherwise there is nothing different from what we get from ghamdi sahib and what we listen from a mullah ,sitting in a small city ,with just a same knowledge, on this topic without any know how,as how things works now a days ,what type of information we can get now when baby is in womb etc.

Hope you could understand the sensitivity of this topic as well.

Jaza-kumullah

• Muhammad

Member October 9, 2021 at 9:38 pm

Umer here is one point,

What science said it incorrectly stated that the formation of organs in the first trimester means that a baby is fully formed by week 12. While most organs are indeed present as very basic structures by week 12 of pregnancy, they are in fact missing many crucial components and some, such as the eyes, liver and pancreas are only “beginning to develop”.

Importantly, the thalamus (necessary for pain and conscious perception) does not appear until the end of the second trimester, and the folding of the cortex does not develop until the third trimester.

Things are different and not as simple as Muslim Scholars said and portrait in their fitwas.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 10, 2021 at 1:49 am

Unfortunately this matter can’t be argued on the basis of science and technology. Science and technology at this time doesn’t understand the very concept of nafs or consciousness, let alone have any information about how or when a physical body attains this property. Science can only tell us about the stages of physical development of an embryo, however, a human being is much more than just material existence; it has a nafs. This can be experienced by every human being, so we don’t even need any scientific verification for this self evident fact.

Anyone can disagree with Ghamidi sahab’s opinion, however, I think that instead of reacting emotionally, the question raised by Ghamidi sahab must be understood and satisfactorily answered by anyone who chooses to disagree. What if a severe birth defect is diagnosed in a newborn right after birth? Do we have the right to kill that newborn? If not then what gives us the right to kill the same newborn before birth?

As far as the objection about 120 days, we have received this information from an authentic source – the Prophet of God. Unless we have any reason to doubt this information, we have no basis to reject it.

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member October 10, 2021 at 7:12 am

Brother Muhammad, I can not say I understand what you are going through but I do have some idea of the pain and the weight of decisions you have to make as a father and a husband

I would request you not to put Ghamidi sahab and his students in the same scale as our traditional scholars! I owe my religious understanding to Imam Islahi RA and Ghamidi sahab along with many of his students like Shehzad Saleem, Sajid Hameed, Rafi Mufti, and more recently, brothers Faisal, Umer, Ahsan and Irfan sahab. I do not have appropriate words to express my gratitude for these personalities and their teacher Ghamidi sahab. My conclusion in this matter is derived from the ideas, objectives I learned by reading and listening to Ghamidi sahab over the years

Ghamidi sahab has the responsibility to give Allah’s intention in all walks of life and this particular matter deals with taking life away from a human being and I can not think of any matter more important and delicate than this. His opinion is absolutely correct religiously, however, very very respectfully I disagreed with him on non-religious grounds.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register