Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Buying Replica / Counterfeit Products

• Buying Replica / Counterfeit Products

Posted by Abdullah Ziyad on October 9, 2021 at 8:52 am

Salam,

I wanted to ask whether wearing ,buying replica products halal as it is violation of copyright and it harms the orignal company and is basically theft because companies do not allow it.But,in our country it is not problematic according to the law.Furthermore, if it is haram and I have already bought something unknowingly of ot being haram can I wear it? As I bought a watch which is replica and spent money.Can I wear it if replicas are haram because the money is spent already.

Abdullah Ziyad replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Buying Replica / Counterfeit Products

Abdullah Ziyad updated 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • Abdullah Ziyad

Member October 13, 2021 at 5:14 am

As I have already bought the product can I wear it?

• Umer

Moderator October 13, 2021 at 10:18 am

Selling replica / counterfeit branded products is outright unethical and immoral business activity and should be considered as being prohibited. However, buying of such products , according to my understanding, has to be seen from situation to situation and some situations may need to be condemened e.g. when such products are bought with the sole intention of deceiving others or when one can afford a real product and yet intentionally chose to buy it’s countefeit etc. There can be situations, where buyer has no other option but to buy only such a product considering his financial constraints and his immediate need, in such cases it cannot be condemned. So from the buyer’s perspective, a person has to decide for himself whether he/she is justified in such a purchase or not; no absolute ruling can be given in this regard.

I hope Irfan Sahab (@Irfan76 ) will be able to add scholarly insight into this matter.

• Abdullah Ziyad

Member October 13, 2021 at 2:02 pm

JazakAllah brother, I have already bought a watch and this question came to my mind because I was unsure whether or not I shoulf wear it.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 14, 2021 at 6:23 am

The matter is ethical and what Umer Qureshi sahib stated seems satisfactory. Selling replica without prior permission of the original brand or owner is unethical, and so is their use to give the false impression of wearing original. However in the case of pirated versions of certain software it seems a unexpressed or compromised permission of the brand or the owner to let people use pirated versions so that people may not go for other competitive softwares which may be available at cheaper price, as they have technology not to let pirated versions run.

• Abdullah Ziyad

Member October 14, 2021 at 1:35 pm

JazakAllah,

I also see the unethical nature of replicas but I wanted to know can I wear previously bought replica watches?I couldve afforded orignals yet they are expensive but I was not clear about rulings on replica.I have replica watches and I am unsure whether I should wear them.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 15, 2021 at 5:50 am

Since the principle is clear, now it is you who to decide to wear it or not.

• Abdullah Ziyad

Member October 15, 2021 at 5:52 am

Pardon,I didnt understand

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 15, 2021 at 6:10 am

if you think it is not ethical don’t use them

• Abdullah Ziyad

Member October 15, 2021 at 6:36 am

JazakAllah

The discussion "Buying Replica / Counterfeit Products" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now