Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Headscarf And Jewelry

• Headscarf And Jewelry

Posted by Amna Anees on July 12, 2020 at 3:54 pm

As Ghamidi saab said that if a woman is wearing some jewellery and makeup, then it is necessary for her to cover her head? But I still find it confusing, what kind of jewellery does it relate to? As we go in weddings and we wear a subtle makeup then what harm it does and why then it is said to cover the head in these circumstances? What difference it makes that all the People who have seen you in daily life without the headscarf, see you in headscarf in a wedding for just a day or two?

Umer replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Headscarf And Jewelry

Umer updated 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • Beenish Hussain

Member July 12, 2020 at 11:32 pm

Dear Amna,

This has to do with the Surah Nur verse which has two basic guidance (I am simplifying):

1) Guard the private parts – this is your day to day libaas & as explained by Ghamdi sb what limits should be observed. Hair is ok to remain uncovered for purposes of obeying this part of the verse.

2) Do not show your Zeenat except for what’s apparent. Zeenat is defined as beautification that we do when we get ready to go somewhere as in makeup, jewelry etc. His view is that now that you have done Zeenat it’s mandatory to cover everything other than what’s apparent: hands, feet and face.

As a woman, I hear your concern and I don’t know if it’s “practical” advice to follow.

I also fail to understand his model because:

a) according to #1 he is defining hair as something that can remain uncovered. That means for anyone following this model hair is something that’s “APPARENT”.

B) if hair is apparent, why I need to cover my hair when I do Zeenat when I am allowed to not cover what’s apparent?! Such as my fave when it has makeup on.

If he said to cover hair as part of #1 then his own model would make sense, but right now principally it doesn’t make sense to me.

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 12, 2020 at 11:37 pm

+1 – I also dont understand “Zeenat”as explained by Ustad-e-Mohtaram.

I liked Farhad Shafti’s understanding better on this issue (Zeenat).

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 12, 2020 at 11:42 pm

I agree how Ghamdi sb defines Zeenat as per linguistics it’s a common understanding amongst ullema. Farhad Shafti is not considering linguistics and I think it’s an exception to the rule.

My issue is that based on Ghamdi sbs model head is an APPARENT part and not Zeenat. So under which principle is he suggesting to cover it if Zeenat is done?

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 12, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Re. “it’s a common understanding amongst ullema.”

No, it is not! Ghamidi sb. excluding “body parts” from Zeenat is the unique understanding….Not common understanding of ullema!

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 12, 2020 at 11:50 pm

He said in the series that the majority view is that zeenat is banao singhaar! He made it so clear that there is no doubt about it as even the most strict scholars on Prada never included body parts as Zeenat as it’s so known from the language. I must find and share 😊

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 13, 2020 at 12:01 am

Dr. Farhad Shafti on Zeenat issue

I was asked to provide references for the meaning and implication of the word Zinah in verse 24:31. This comes after this message. Before that, I would like to reiterate three points:

1. Ustad Ghamidi is the only scholar I know that says zinah in 24:31 means embellishment only and does not imply body parts. All other scholars that I have come across either include body part in the meaning of zinah or say that in this verse it implies body part. I of course do not imply that since Ustad Ghamidi’s view is a rare view therefore it is incorrect (how can I say that when in other things my own views are even rarer than that of Ustad’s!). However since I felt some friends thought I was giving zinah a new meaning, wanted to clarify that this is certainly not the case.

2. If we translate zinah as embellishment only and if we deny that it implies body parts, then basically we reach to the conclusion that there is nothing in the verse to forbid women from revealing any parts of their bodies (except private parts) if they do not wear embellishments.

3. That part of my view that brings more flexibility to the issue of coverage for women, is not the meaning of zinah. It is the meaning of “what appears thereof”. While most scholars including Ustad Ghamidi consider this to be face, hands and feet, I consider it to be ‘what is norm in the society’.

The references:

👇

• Umer

Moderator July 13, 2020 at 8:05 am

What is your understanding of words zeenat used in Surah Araf (7:31-32)?

يَا بَنـِي آدَمَ خُذُوْا زِيْنَتَكُمْ عِنْدَ كُلِّ مَسْجِدٍ وكُلُوْا وَاشْرَبُوْا وَلَا تُسْرِفُوْا إِنَّهُ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْمُسْرِفِيْنَ. قُلْ مَنْ حَرَّمَ زِينَةَ اللّهِ الَّتِيَ أَخْرَجَ لِعِبَادِهِ وَالْطَّيِّبَاتِ مِنَ الرِّزْقِ قُلْ هِي لِلَّذِيْنَ آمَنُوْا فِي الْـحَيَاةِ الدُّنْيَا خَالِصَةً يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ كَذَلِكَ نُفَصِّلُ الآيَاتِ لِقَوْمٍ يَعْلَمُوْنَ

• Beenish Hussain

Member July 13, 2020 at 12:11 am

I am not sure if I understand #2. The verse is to “guard” the private parts not to cover them. Nothing to do with how one defines zeenat.

#3. “What appears there of” will be dependent on how you define “guarding” the private parts.

• Umer

Moderator July 13, 2020 at 8:01 am

Can you please clarify where has Ghamidi Sahab exactly made this statement regarding covering of a woman’s head to hide zeenat of her head?

According to my understanding, hiding of zeenat as per Quran relates to that of a woman’s chest area only, not of the head.

قُلْ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ يَغُضُّوْا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوْا فُرُوجَهُمْ ذَلِكَ أَزْكَى لَهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ خَبِيْرٌ بِمَا يَصْنَعُوْنَ. وَقُلْ لِّلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوْجَهُنَّ وَلَا يُبْدِيْنَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَلْيَضْرِبْنَ بِخُمُرِهِنَّ عَلَى جُيُوبِهِنَّ وَلَا يُبْدِيْنَ زِينَتَهُنَّ إِلَّا لِبُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ آبَائِهِنَّ أَوْ آبَآءِ بُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ أَبْنَآئِهِنَّ أَوْ أَبْنَآءِ بُعُولَتِهِنَّ أَوْ إِخْوَانِهِنَّ أَوْ بَنِیْ إِخْوَانِهِنَّ أَوْ بَنِیْ أَخَوَاتِهِنَّ أَوْ نِسَائِهِنَّ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُنَّ أَوِ التَّابِعِيْنَ غَيْرِ أُوْلِیْ الْإِرْبَةِ مِنَ الرِّجَالِ أَوِ الطِّفْلِ الَّذِيْنَ لَمْ يَظْهَرُوْا عَلَى عَوْرَاتِ النِّسَآءِ وَلَا يَضْرِبْنَ بِأَرْجُلِهِنَّ لِيُعْلَمَ مَا يُخْفِيْنَ مِنْ زِينَتِهِنَّ وَتُوْبُوْا إِلَى اللَّهِ جَمِيْعًا أَيُّهَا الْمُؤْمِنُوْنَ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُوْنَ.

[O Prophet!] Tell those who believe in you to restrain their eyes and guard their private parts [if there are women present in these houses]. This is purer for them. Indeed, God is well aware of what they do. And tell believing women to restrain their eyes and to guard their private parts and to display of their embellishments only those which are normally revealed and for this they should draw their coverings over their chest and necklines. And they should not reveal their embellishments to anyone except their husbands or their fathers or their husbands’ fathers or their sons or their husbands’ sons or their brothers or their brothers’ sons or their sisters’ sons or their women of acquaintance or their slaves or the subservient male servants who do not feel attraction for women or children who have no awareness of the hidden aspects of women. And they should not stamp their feet so that attention is drawn to their hidden ornaments. Believers! Turn to God in repentance [on the sins committed till now] that you may prosper. (24:30-31)

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register