Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Washing The Ankles (or Any Other Part) During Wudu

Tagged: 

• Washing The Ankles (or Any Other Part) During Wudu

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on October 14, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Asalamoalaikum,

When I am washing my feet during wudu, I leave each foot under the faucet for about two seconds and then spread the water over the ankles, toes, etc. However, I notice that the water sometimes flows from the halfway point of the ankles (as opposed from the top). I read somewhere that the entire limb in question should be covered by water – would this render my wudu invalid? The thing is that there isn’t enough space for my feet under the faucet – be it in the tub or the sink – in order for the water to make contact with each foot from a point that is directly above the ankles, as opposed to a point at or below the ankles.

On the same note, is the method of having water poured over a limb, then that water being rubbed appropriate?

This situation is causing me a lot of tension during wudu!

JazakAllah

Umer replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Washing The Ankles (or Any Other Part) During Wudu

Umer updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 14, 2021 at 5:44 pm

You can pour water in your hand and use it to rub the dry portion of your ankles and the method of pouring and spreading the water through rubbing is appropriate.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 14, 2021 at 5:53 pm

JazakAllah! Is it also fine if I spread the water on the foot already (through leaving it under the faucet) to the dry parts of the ankles. Rather than wetting my hands and pouring additional water on my ankles?

• Umer

Moderator October 14, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Yes, this is fine too.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 14, 2021 at 8:20 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 14, 2021 at 10:25 pm

This following fatwa is what is making me really anxious. I don’t see how I can ensure that the water is flowing over the entire limb. Or am I misinterpreting it?

https://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/PrintFatwa.php?lang=E&Id=326854

• Umer

Moderator October 15, 2021 at 2:09 pm

This is fiqh where opinion of Jurists has been mentioned. We should not indulge in too many doubts, especially when directives relate to acts we do normally in daily life. If its washing of feet to the ankle, we should just stick with the primary directive of washing feet to the ankle, in ways we usually wash them i.e. through pouring water, through spreading water etc. all of these fall within ambit of washing feet.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 15, 2021 at 2:45 pm

JazakAllah, that makes sense. And I’m guessing I can apply that to other aspects of washing as well? Like, not being overly concerned with what is under my nails or in my nose?

• Umer

Moderator October 15, 2021 at 2:48 pm

Exactly.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register