Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Prostration On Seven Limbs And Not To Gather Hair And Fold Clothes

Tagged: ,

• Prostration On Seven Limbs And Not To Gather Hair And Fold Clothes

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on October 14, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Is it true that if someone does not prostrate in a specific manner, whereby seven limbs are making contact with the floor (i.e., forehead (and nose), hand, knees, toes), their prayer is invalid? Do the toes have to be upright, or can they be placed horizontally on the floor?

I believe these are the limbs that are typically mentioned, though I might be wrong.

JazakAllah!

Umer replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Prostration On Seven Limbs And Not To Gather Hair And Fold Clothes

Umer updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 14, 2021 at 5:27 pm

These are etiquettes of Salah as to how one should prostrate properly and completely, and they should be given utmost importance because where the Quran directed Muslims to safeguard the prayer, it has said: وَ قُوْمُوا لِِلّهِِ قَانِتِيْنْ (and stand before the Almighty with great respect, (2:238)). And the Hadith mentioned by you is one of the applications of this very verse and if you read the Hadith, it mainly relates to maintaining concentration and focus and to not be involved in any activity that may distract us during our Salah, including full-body prostration involving all the relevant bodyparts. The main objective of this directive is to ensure that during the prayer, hair and clothes should not be tampered with. The Prophet (sws) is reported to have said: “I have been ordered to prostrate on seven bones i.e. on the forehead along with the tip of the nose and the Prophet (ﷺ) pointed towards his nose, both hands, both knees and the toes of both feet and not to gather the clothes or the hair.” (https://sunnah.com/bukhari:812)

Toes need to be on the floor, whether upright or horizontally, this will not render one’s Salah invalid. However, all these etiquettes are still to be seen separately from obligatory acts and azkar of Salah, which have been transmitted through Sunnah of the Prophet (sws). And if we see someone ignoring these etiquettes constanstly, we can point it to them in a humble and polite way.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 14, 2021 at 8:23 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi! Can you please explain the last part of the narrative: The Prophet (sws) is reported to have said: ” . . . and not to gather the clothes or the hair.” I don’t really understand what the gathering of clothes or hair means?

• Umer

Moderator October 15, 2021 at 2:40 pm

For example: Not to fold one’s sleeves during Salah or play with one’s hair etc. because it will become a source of distraction during Salah and one may lose his focus.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 15, 2021 at 2:44 pm

JazakAllah that makes sense. Likewise, should I avoid pulling up my pants/trousers when standing up for the following rakat?

• Umer

Moderator October 15, 2021 at 2:54 pm

Yes! The key is to stay focued and all of your concentration should be on the prayer and hence every such act should be avoided which may distract us.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 15, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Sorry I was hoping I could ask one last question on this topic. If I pull my pants up inadvertently during prayer, will my prayer still be accepted? Or even if it’s intentional, but in forgetting that is shouldn’t be done?

• Umer

Moderator October 16, 2021 at 1:52 pm

It’s fine if it’s unintentional. The key is to stay focused in your prayer and these etiquettes help us in achieveing that. Violation of any such etiquette doesn’t render Salah completely invalid.

The discussion "Prostration On Seven Limbs And Not To Gather Hair And Fold Clothes" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now