Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Frozen Embryo Transfer, IVF

• Frozen Embryo Transfer, IVF

Posted by Ayesha on October 15, 2021 at 4:15 pm

Assalamualaikum,

We have embryos currently in storage. Unfortunately we are going through some marital problems and it seems we are heading towards a divorce.

Knowing that we are very likely to be divorcing in the near future ,6-8 months, can I use those embryos within this time?

Also if yes, then do I have to tell my husband I’m doing it?, can I just go ahead with the procedure and let him know only after it’s successful?

otherwise we should have the embryos destroyed? In that case should that be done now or once the divorce takes place.

Currently we have no children and are in our early 40s

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Frozen Embryo Transfer, IVF

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member October 15, 2021 at 5:42 pm

sister I am sorry that you are going through a tough time in your life

I think this matter should be resolved by you and your husband. Its not about halal or haram but about the future of human beings who do not have any say in this matter

why do you want to have children when your marriage is falling apart? How would you go through with pregnancy along with all the emotional stress?

If you do not tell your husband, how do you plan to tell your children about their father? How would you explain his constant absence?

Do you expect your husband to recognize them as his children and take part in their up bringing both emotionally and financially?

Will your husband be ok to accept children as his heirs?

If you really want to have children then discuss with you husband, it is perfectly ok to stay together till the end and then share the responsibilities of upbringing your children together, not necessarily as husband and wife but parents.

Whatever you decide, your priority should be the children’s best interest and not what you want to do.

• Umer

Moderator October 16, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Islam only get involved in such matters if there’s any ethical issue attached to it. Since the process of procreation was paused with consent of both the parties (i.e. freezing of the Embroys). It is only ethical if it is resumed with the consent of both parties as well, otherwise it can tanamount to deception against the other party. I think it’s better to wait it out until your issues with your husband get resolved and I hope the situation turns out in your favour and may Allah eases your burden.

Hopefully our Scholar Dr. Irfan Sahab (@Irfan76 ) will be able to add further insight into this matter.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 21, 2021 at 3:29 am

I can’t think of a better answer.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register