Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Reciting Bismillah In The Heart

Tagged: 

• Reciting Bismillah In The Heart

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on October 17, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Asalamoalaikum,

I heard that it’s inappropriate to utter Allah’s name in the washroom, so it’s better to recite Bismillah in the heart prior to beginning wudu. However, I’m unclear what recitation in the heart means? Does this mean to pronounce Bismillah in my mind? When I do this, I notice that my tongue and lips are very slightly moving on their own for some sounds – is this okay? I think there’s a scientific basis for that.

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Reciting Bismillah In The Heart

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 17, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Saying Bismillah is not a compulsory requirement for Wuzu, but it was uswa of Prophet (sws) to say Bismillah before starting any good act, including wuzu. Since toilet is a not a clean place, therefore scholars advice to not say it loudly considering the sanctity of Allah’s name. This is again a matter of etiquettes, and one may say it in a low voice or in one’s heart as well. Even if you utter some sound while doing it, that is fine too.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 18, 2021 at 5:05 pm

JazakAllah! Do I have the right idea that “reciting in the heart” means to read something in my mind? Like when we read books, we hear a voice in our mind?

• Umer

Moderator October 19, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Yes, and sometimes we utter words in a very low voice – almost inaudible.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 20, 2021 at 7:16 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi. Makes sense!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register