Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia What Does Rishwat (Bribery) Mean?

• What Does Rishwat (Bribery) Mean?

Umer updated 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator October 18, 2021 at 11:25 am

There are two kinds of favours which are called bribe. When Mr A extends some favours or offers money to someone for obtaining something he does not deserve at all and which involves injustice to other parties it is bribe. It is not allowed to give and take such gifts. The evil in this practice and the injustice involved in the dealing is more than obvious.

There are however, cases when people in authority and control do not give others their due rights. Say for example I have passed all the exams and tests for a post. I am not legally and morally entitled to the post and no other person is as worthy as I am. And the authorities call me and say give us two hundred thousand rupees and get your right or we are going to give it to someone (who does not deserve that at all). Now if I have to give the amount they demand it is also called bribe. But it is not birbe on our end. It is ransom extracted from me by force. It is bribe for the one who receives. It is just like ransoming for example one’s relatives who are kidnapped for money.”

(Tariq Mahmood Hashmi)

Please also refer to the responses by Ghamidi Sahab in the following thread:

Discussion 38947

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register