Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy How Can A Wishes That A Person Begs From Allah Be Wrong?

Tagged: ,

• How Can A Wishes That A Person Begs From Allah Be Wrong?

Posted by Nadeem Minhas on October 22, 2021 at 1:09 pm

In Quran a few places, Allah states that what you wish for may be bad for you and what you don’t may be good for you.

How could a wish that a person begs from Allah go wrong? Why doesn’t Allah make the result of that wish to be positive too?

For example, if a person wishes for a male child and Allah doesn’t give him one because the child may grow up and abuse his father and commit lot of sins.

In this case why doesn’t Allah just give him a good son so there are no issues.

Similarly, if a person asks for lot of money and Allah doesn’t give him because he may divert towards sin, then why doesn’t Allah give him money and help him not to go towards the path of sin?

Umer replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • How Can A Wishes That A Person Begs From Allah Be Wrong?

Umer updated 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • Faraz Siddiqui

Member October 22, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Because of free will brother

The son will use his free will to commit sin and the man will use extra money to do haram.

Allah also says in the Quran that i He had water I would have made every one muslim but He decided not to

Just like there r laws of physics, there r laws of morality and justice and Allah doesn’t break laws of physics neither laws of morality and justice

• ashif ahmed

Member October 22, 2021 at 5:47 pm

surah araf ayat 172

And ˹remember˺ when your Lord brought forth from the loins of the children of Adam their descendants and had them testify regarding themselves. ˹Allah asked,˺ “Am I not your Lord?” They replied, “Yes, You are! We testify.” ˹He cautioned,˺ “Now you have no right to say on Judgment Day, ‘We were not aware of this.’

surah mulk ayat 2

˹He is the One˺ Who created death and life in order to test which of you is best in deeds. And He is the Almighty, All-Forgiving.

surah hud ayat 7

And it is He who created the heavens and the earth in six days – and His Throne had been upon water – that He might test you as to which of you is best in deed. But if you say, “Indeed, you are resurrected after death,” those who disbelieve will surely say, “This is not but obvious magic.”

in this ayahs

it is clear that allah create us for testing

who obey Allah and who do good deeds .

• Umer

Moderator October 23, 2021 at 10:13 am

The verse that you’re probably referring to is Quran (2:216). This verse is not describing any principle of acceptance of prayers. It is dealing with ethical matters and the context makes it very clear i.e. in the context of Jihad [1].

Allah has not created this world and life in it just to fulful our wishes and turn their supposed consequences in our favour. Primarily, this world is created on principle of tests and trials, and it is this principle which takes precedence over our wishes. But acceptance of one’s supplications are subject to Allah’s izn and overall scheme of tests and trials human beings have been put through in this world. And that is why we have been reassured, when a person demonstrates Sabr (Patience) and kept praying to Allah only, He/ She will be rewarded on the day of judgement (Qiyamah) for prayers not accepted in this world and have been postponed.

Videos in the following thread will add great insight into the concept of acceptance of Prayers:

Discussion 50528

Following thread details the Principles of Tests and Trials:

Discussion 22229

[1]. كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمْ الْقِتَالُ وَهُوَ كُرْهٌ لَكُمْ وَعَسى أَنْ تَكْرَهُوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَكُمْ وَعَسَى أَنْ تُحِبُّوا شَيْئًا وَهُوَ شَرٌّ لَكُمْ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ وَأَنْتُمْ لَا تَعْلَمُونَ

Warfare is ordained for you displeasing as it may be to you [as much as it is displeasing for you to spend in the way of Allah]. It is very much possible that may dislike a thing even though it is good for you, and it is very much possible that you like a thing even though it is bad for you. [And in reality] God knows, but you have no knowledge [of many such things]. (Quran 2:216)

• Nadeem Minhas

Member October 23, 2021 at 6:47 pm

Brother Umer, how does your statement above “Allah has not created this world and life in it just to fulful our wishes and turn their supposed consequences in our favour” stand against the following verses.

[2:152] You shall remember Me, that I may remember you, and be thankful to Me; do not be unappreciative.

[2:153] O you who believe, seek help through steadfastness and the Contact Prayers (Salat). GOD is with those who steadfastly persevere.

[14:7] Your Lord has decreed: “The more you thank Me, the more I give you.” But if you turn unappreciative, then My retribution is severe.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member October 23, 2021 at 8:40 pm

In addition brother Umer. Why do we say in prayer, “Allah listens to those who praise him. All praise is for Allah alone”. What does Allah listens to if not the wishes of his believers?

• Nadeem Minhas

Member October 24, 2021 at 12:28 pm

@umerqureshi please help clarify the above two questions to your response.

• Umer

Moderator October 24, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Nadeem Sahab, the verses quoted by you have two dimensions to be looked at:

1) They’re describing the attitude required of a true believer, always being thankful to Allah and always looking upto Him for help. And in the face of difficulty, if they persevere (as mentioned in 2:153) and show complete faith, they will be rewarded (either in this world or in the hereafter). The requirement of perseverance points toward this life being created on the principle of tests and trials.

2) The reward is never promised to be given in this world (it could be, but not promised) with only one exception, where reward will be given in this world for the perseverance and faith shown by the Muslims i.e. the Almighty has promised the progeny of Abraham that if they adhere to the truth, they will lead all nations of the world and if they deviate from it, they will be deposed from this position and will have to face the punishment of humiliation and subjugation.

It is this very promise of the Almighty which is specifically mentioned for the Israelites in the following verse:

وَلَوْ أَنَّهُمْ أَقَامُواْ التَّوْرَاةَ وَالإِنجِيلَ وَمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيهِم مِّن رَّبِّهِمْ لأكَلُواْ مِن فَوْقِهِمْ وَمِن تَحْتِ أَرْجُلِهِم مِّنْهُمْ أُمَّةٌ مُّقْتَصِدَةٌ وَكَثِيرٌ مِّنْهُمْ سَاء مَا يَعْمَلُونَ (٦٦:٥)

If they adhered to the Torah and the Gospel and that what has been revealed to them from their Lord, they would have received the sustenance [of their Lord] from above them and from beneath their feet. [No doubt], there is one group among them who are righteous but those whose deeds are evil abound. (5:66)

The last verse quoted by you i.e. 14:7 relates to the same promise that was made to Bani-Israel.

The point being that scheme of tests and trials take precedence over our prayers, this doesn’t mean they will not be accepted, rather, they may or maynot be accepted in this world otherwise it would render the whole scheme of tests and trials redundant. Therefore, what is required of us is perseverance and complete faith in Allah, with ultimate reward waiting for us on the day of judegement. Allah does listen to all our prayers, and sooner or later they will all be fulfilled. It is just their timing of fulfilment that has been left to absolute Izn of Allah based on his wisdom.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member October 23, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Thank you everyone. With appreciation to all who responded, brother Umer’s response makes much more sense.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register