Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Some Disagreement On Dress Code.

Tagged: ,

• Some Disagreement On Dress Code.

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on October 23, 2021 at 1:58 am

I have understood and accepted the whole fact of obligatory dress code (Hifz-e-furooz) for men and women.

But the matter of “Mustahab” on dress code is not making sense .

For men :- It’s obligatory to cover the body from navel to knee.

For women :- It’s obligatory to cover the body from shoulder(including armpits) to knee.

Now the rest is totally dependent on culture, person to person, enviroment, society norm, generation,season to season. I don’t think there is anything mustahab . Even though If there is anything on this matter”Mustahab” it will depend.

First of All now in this world, men wear cloths on the upper part of body because It’s considered to be decent in the eyes of most of the people. There are scientific reasons too.

Like in winter we(men/women) cover every part of our body with warm cloths so that we don’t feel cold. Example:- winter caps, gloves ,sweater.

In summer we(men/women) wear Less cloths so that we don’t feel hot. Exmaple:- wearing half sleeves. Sometimes we wear caps, full sleeves to protect out hair, skin from sunlight.

I strongly think that this matter is completely based on personal choice. It’s out human nature to look good . So we choose cloths on the basis of place, season, society.

Also with the head covering of women. I don’t there is anything mustahab for women to cover their head/hair all the time. It will also depend from time to time, place, enviroment, society,likes and dislikes of a person, and most important Culture.

It can be taken as “mustahab” is different sense. Like Allah told us protect ourselves. So we protect our skin,hair from sunlight. In winter we protect ourselves from cold by wearing warm cloths. So oviously Allah will like it in this way.

And Allah told in Quran that ‘It’s better for old women to cover the bosom.”

So we can’t take this logic for every part of our body .

It’s obvious that bosom is a private part for women. So that’s why Allah advised the old women to cover it aswell.

Mohammed Zubair Alam replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Some Disagreement On Dress Code.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 23, 2021 at 5:31 am

Not only weather but later on culture too contribute to decide dress codes which keep on changing time to time. However the essential parts to be covered for men and women are different and this is what our nature direct us to. So there are three factors: nature, weather and culture. Mustahab means desirable. This desirable too is relative.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 23, 2021 at 5:45 am

Yeah. My point was It’s make no sense to say someone to cover their hair or to wear full sleeves beacuase it’s mustahab in the eyes of Allah. Even though If it’s mustahab it will depend. I think this is what you’ve said too that ” Desirable” will depend on nature, weather and culture.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 24, 2021 at 3:30 am

yes, and on the basis of these factors, someone may ask other to cover something. and there can be disagreements, as they are inevitable because of the cultural differences within a society too. but no one should force or mock someone if one is not following one’s cultural sensitivity. however if a cultural norm is obviously unjust or unreasonable, one may object to it.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member October 24, 2021 at 3:50 am

Thank you so much for your explanation🙏🏻❤.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register