Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Follow-Up On Using Non-Food Products With Animal/Haram Ingredients?

Tagged: ,

• Follow-Up On Using Non-Food Products With Animal/Haram Ingredients?

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on October 23, 2021 at 12:11 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I asked a question a few weeks ago regarding the use of non-food products with haram ingredients and was answered that the prohibition of these items only extends to their consumption. Overall, this point makes sense to me, although I have a question that I will ask in another thread. However, my question is regarding those products that can likely end up being unintentionally consumed. For example, it’s possible that I wash my hands soap containing haram ingredients and while rinsing my mouth, I swallow some remnants of this soap. Similarly, I might apply lotion to my hands, and my hands end up making contact with my mouth when I am eating something. Or, toothpaste containing haram ingredients enters my throat while I brush my teeth. Is it better to refrain from such products, or would these examples not fall into “consumption” and are instead negligible?

JazakAllah!

Haseeb Faisal replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Follow-Up On Using Non-Food Products With Animal/Haram Ingredients?

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 14 Replies
  • Haseeb Faisal

Member October 23, 2021 at 12:27 pm

I think hand sanitizer applies here as well!

• ودود

Member October 23, 2021 at 5:18 pm

There are tones of pathogens, bacterias and viruses we are eating every day alive without worrying about if they are halal or not and whether God’s name has been pronounced or not.

Similarly, if you end up eating something accidentally and that too in a very little quantity, it wouldn’t fall under halal or harm rules as such but one has to be careful to protect oneself from swallowing anything harmful to health as a matter of common sense and prudence.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 23, 2021 at 5:25 pm

JazakAllah. That’s definitely a really good point, but wouldn’t the difference between consuming bacteria, etc., and consuming non-food products be that there is more control in the latter situation? I can choose not to buy products containing questionable ingredients, whereas consuming bacteria isn’t something that I can control.

• ودود

Member October 23, 2021 at 6:08 pm

It’s totally up to an individuals own judgement to what extent one wants to go to protect one’s health just like it’s up to me to decide how much sugar i can take safely without damaging my health. It’s got nothing to do with halal harm rules as such.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 23, 2021 at 7:49 pm

But how come Halal Haram doesn’t apply if there’re micro-ingredients derived from pigs in lotions, but it does apply when it comes to foods like granola bars? I mean in the case that the lotion is swallowed because it ended up on someone’s lips while they were applying lotion. I’m unable to understand the difference.

• ودود

Member October 23, 2021 at 8:52 pm

In order to understand this point, you’ll have to investigate into the question “why” certain things are halal or haram. Then use your own judgement to see if consuming non-halal ingredients accidentally in micro quantities may cause the disaster that Allah wanted us to avoid by staying away from haram.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 23, 2021 at 9:02 pm

JazakAllah – is there any place you recommend that I start looking? Any clips or articles?

• ودود

Member October 23, 2021 at 9:15 pm

The best place to start your research is Google. Read different views and pick those that make more sense.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 24, 2021 at 10:29 pm

JazakAllah.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 24, 2021 at 10:29 pm

@Irfan76 @UmerQureshi I was wondering if Dr. Shehzad and Mr. Qureshi have any insights that they can share? JazakAllah.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 25, 2021 at 2:55 am

Haseeb brother, what you suggest is called Harj, hardship, which God doesn’t impose on us. Rare and far fetch possibilities are ignored.

See verse 5:6

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 28, 2021 at 9:50 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Shahzad. Your point makes sense to me. But if lotion does get into my mouth, would this be negligible? Or does this not fall under the scope of eating?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 29, 2021 at 4:02 am

Just spit it out.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register