Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of Verse 6 Of Surah Luqman (یَّشۡتَرِیۡ لَہۡوَ الۡحَدِیۡثِ)

Tagged: ,

• Meaning Of Verse 6 Of Surah Luqman (یَّشۡتَرِیۡ لَہۡوَ الۡحَدِیۡثِ)

Umer updated 9 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 3, 2021 at 1:54 am

Please refer to the video below from 25:54 to 1:01:54

https://youtu.be/bZ2JZGg0W2s?t=1554

• Mohamed Mushaf

Member November 3, 2021 at 4:58 am

Jazakallahu khair brother.but i dont understand.now i feel like everything i do is haram even playing sports.can you give me small summary on this.

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2021 at 8:55 am

Here this expression لَهْوَ الْحَدِيْثِ is used in contrast to the verses of the book that are full of wisdom. Hence it will refer to the absurdities and nonsensical things which the mischievous people spread with the intention of leading people away from the Quran. If on one hand, there is time for Salah and on the other hand, you’re busy playing your sports and it’s keeping you from your farz Salah, in that case, your sports will fall in this category. In other normal instances, there’s nothing wrong with playing sports.

• Mohamed Mushaf

Member November 3, 2021 at 9:19 am

Is reading newspapers,story novels,scary story book etc. Comes in haram category?

• Umer

Moderator November 3, 2021 at 6:16 pm

No, they do not as a rule of thumb.

But situations where any such activity would indulge you to a level that you forget your religious obligations, that could fall in Haram category in that specific instance and for that specific time.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member August 2, 2023 at 10:08 am

So it’s due to the ruling of this verse which is why we have been taught since childhood to avoid any form of distraction/entertainment when the Azan is sounded publicly?

• Umer

Moderator August 3, 2023 at 8:41 am

Different groups have different reasonings. We however consider it a matter of etiquette, not a religious injunction.

Following audio response of Hassan Ilyas Sahab is also relevant in this context:

Discussion 34391 • Reply 34447

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register