Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Doubts Whether Mani Or Madhi

Tagged: ,

• Doubts Whether Mani Or Madhi

Posted by Mohamed Mushaf on November 11, 2021 at 2:58 am

I woke up at night and saw some wetness in my pants and besheets.i dont know weather its maniyy or mathi.so i assumed it was maniyy.is it wrong

Umer replied 1 year, 10 months ago 5 Members · 78 Replies
  • 78 Replies
  • Doubts Whether Mani Or Madhi

Umer updated 1 year, 10 months ago 5 Members · 78 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 11, 2021 at 3:04 am

You have to use your best judgement. You will be judged based on honesty of your judgements.

• Mohamed Mushaf

Member November 11, 2021 at 4:44 am

I didnt understand

• Umer

Moderator November 11, 2021 at 5:33 am

If you have reason to believe that it is one of the either, then you should go with that. In case you have doubt, you can opt for the option that requires more cleaning.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 11, 2022 at 8:13 pm

Asalamualaikum Mr. Umer Qureshi,

I was hoping I could ask a few questions on this discussion once more.

1.) Shouldn’t madhi always be distinguishable from mani because of the reason that it is released in noticeably lesser quantity than mani?

2.) You said that if one has doubt, they can opt for the option that requires more cleaning. Does this mean if they are absolutely unsure then they should go down that route? In other words, if the person is even slightly inclined to believe that they have encountered one or the other substance, can they go with that?

3.) Is madhi emitted during sleep?

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator January 12, 2022 at 2:47 am

Mani is a result of ejaculation, therefore, in the absence of ejaculation, there’s no point of mani.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 12, 2022 at 9:26 am

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi.

I want to clarify this point that you made: “In case one sees moisture after he wakes up but is not sure whether it’s Mani or Madhi, it is better for him to perform Ghusal before Salah.”

This is why I was asking that shouldn’t madhi always be distinguishable from mani because of the reason that it is released in noticeably lesser quantity than mani? For example, it’s possible that this madhi was present on a person’s clothes prior to sleeping and they did not notice.

As far as I’m aware, mani isn’t discharged as a small streak, but has a considerable presence.

• Mohamed Mushaf

Member November 11, 2021 at 6:48 am

Which is more cleansing?

• Umer

Moderator November 12, 2021 at 6:20 am

-Mani (semen) is a thick white fluid that discharges by male or female as a result of sexual ejaculation. In such case, one has to perform ghusl before Salah, whether male or female.

– Madhi is pre-seminal prostatic fluid discharge in men, and sexual vaginal discharge in women due to sexual arousal, e.g. sexual thoughts or foreplay. In such case, one has to wash his/her private parts, washing off any impurity on the clothes, and has to perform Wuzu before Salah.

In case one sees moisture after he wakes up but is not sure whether it’s Mani or Madhi, it is better for him to perform Ghusal before Salah:

https://sunnah.com/bukhari:282

https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah:600

• Haseeb Faisal

Member November 22, 2021 at 8:54 am

Will Madhi always be excreted in response to sexual thoughts/foreplay or only in certain cases? Is it safe to assume that there hasn’t been any release of this fluid if there isn’t any physical evidence?

• Umer

Moderator November 24, 2021 at 4:25 pm

i) Usually it’s the sexual thoughts/foreplay, however there can be instances where it can excrete in their absence, but those will be exceptional cases.

ii) If there isn’t any physical evidence, then religion has not imposed the burden on the person.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 17, 2021 at 8:42 pm

Asalamoalaikum Mr. Umer Qureshi,

I’m kind of confused about madhi still. Is this fluid easily distinguishable from water and ejaculation fluid (i.e. semen)? And is it something that will certainly leave a stain? Also, will it be released every single time that a person has sexual thoughts or indulges in foreplay?

I don’t know if I’m having delusions or not, mistaking water for madhi. I have trouble remembering things in the short term, so I can’t figure out if the fluid got there because of me or not, such as during washing or through water drops from my washed hand. I’m not sure if any of the wudu/ghusl necessitating fluids that dirty the clothes are indistinguishable from water, if you can please help me out.

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator December 18, 2021 at 1:28 pm

It is distinguishable from water and has a more viscous presence and also leave white dry marks on the clothes. Not always, but most of the times, it is released when one indulges in any activity involving sexual thoughts/foreplay etc.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 18, 2021 at 3:21 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi. So, is it only ejaculation fluid (which is thick and white) and indulging in copulation that requires men to have to ghusl? Is this correct? And what if someone believes they have climaxed but do not see the release of ejaculation fluid, whether asleep or awake?

• Umer

Moderator December 18, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Yes to the first part.

If one is awake and they know that they climaxed, then they should take ceremonial bath irrespective of the fact that one sees the fluid or not.

If asleep, then absence of moisture can be concluded as not being ejaculated because here, one cannot be sure of the climax the way one is while being awake.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 18, 2021 at 3:31 pm

JazakAllah! So just to clarify, if one is awake and climaxes (and not while engaging in copulation), they are required to do ghusl even though they know with certainty that ejaculation fluid has not been released?

• Umer

Moderator December 18, 2021 at 3:38 pm

I don’t think there’s any explicit guidance available in this regard.

Maybe Irfan Sahab (@Irfan76 ) can add some insight into this matter.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 18, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Okay, JazakAllah! Thanks for your help Mr. Umer Qureshi, this all definitely makes a lot more sense to me now!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 19, 2021 at 5:02 pm

I was also wondering if these dry marks could be rather small? And what if someone is unsure? Although j can’t really think of other things that will leave dry marks.

• Umer

Moderator December 19, 2021 at 5:05 pm

They’re quite distinguishable. But as a principle, if they’re too small to be seen with naked eye, then there’s no responsibilty on the individual.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 19, 2021 at 5:14 pm

JazakAllah and does a person need to wash this off before praying? I really don’t know how that would be done because to properly wash wouldn’t the entire trouser need to be soaked? So does that only leave the option of changing?

• Umer

Moderator December 20, 2021 at 2:48 pm

Not necessarily, soaking the affected area would suffice. But changing the trouser is going an extra mile to achieve tazkiya.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 20, 2021 at 2:50 pm

So I just need to take a handful of water and pour it over the area? But isn’t the impurity technically still there unless there is water dripping out of the trouser? Or water is squeezed out? Or am I overcomplicating things? I’m still having a really hard time understand when an impurity is considered to be clean.

• Umer

Moderator December 20, 2021 at 3:02 pm

This is the same issue that we have discussed earlier as far as the principle is concerned i.e. the purity is required, but how one achieves that purity has been left to the norms and natural inclination of the person. Use of water to achieve basic cleanliness has been recommended, but has not been made obligatory, as there can be situations in a particular culture or a society where they achieve cleanliness through means other than water i.e. tissue rolls etc.

Therefore, you see some filth on your trouser, you can simply soak the affected area with water and rub it, you can wash the whole piece of clothing or you can change the clothing altogether. The bare minimum has been achieved in all these scenarios. For dry spots of Madhi/Mani, even scratching the white spots was done at the time of the Prophet (sws), since water was not that much abundantly available.

https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah:537

https://sunnah.com/bukhari:232

https://sunnah.com/muslim:289a

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 20, 2021 at 3:51 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi! This definitely helps. I just want to take some time to think about what you wrote here, as well as on the forum regarding the nullifiers of prayer. I just want to organize my thoughts before asking for any clarifications.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 20, 2022 at 1:32 pm

I have a few questions about cleaning up after the release of madhi. Apologies if the questions are a bit explicit.

1.) If one notices madhi on their clothing and now must wash their private part, is it only the tip of the private part that has to be cleaned? In other words, the exact area from where madhi was excreted. And so, one would wash themselves the same way they would wash themselves after urinating?

2.) I know you said we should be certain about the spread of impurity, etc. but since the private part will change positions as one walks, sits, etc, isn’t it quite probable that the impurity might come into contact with more of the body than just the tip of the private part? Like the inner thigh, etc. Or is this considered microscopic, and therefore creates too much hardship?

3.) This question is for when madhi has been emitted, but before the private part has been washed. If the private part comes into contact with something (e.g. shirt), does the madhi spread? Or, again, I need to be able to see the impurity spreading, otherwise this is too microscopic.

I tried applying the principles about certainty and microscopics that we discussed into this scenario and have worked it out. But I just want to confirm with your answers.

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator February 22, 2022 at 4:01 am

1) Correct, unless you clearly see its presence somewhere else on nearby area without any doubt.

2) Assuming it on your own would result in hardship unless point (1) above applies.

3) Your understanding is correct.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 25, 2022 at 11:34 am

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi. And for point number 3), even if the tip of private part (after it has emitted madhi but before it has been washed) comes into contact with water or something wet, it’s only if the water changes in nature (like color) that it would regarded to be impure? Otherwise it’s pure with only microscopic and negligible impurity?

And we have always been defining microscopic/negligible impurity as something which cannot be detected/observed, whether by color, smell, etc.? And if one is unsure about the detectability, then there is uncertainty so it should still be ignored?

Are these three points all correct?

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator February 26, 2022 at 9:08 am

Yes, because detecting such impurity or cleaning such undetectable impurity would result in undue hardship, which is not required in religion.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 26, 2022 at 10:16 am

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi,

And logically, all of these points hold true in the case that one is certain of a urine drop in their undergarment/trousers after having used the bathroom?

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator February 26, 2022 at 2:10 pm

Yes

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 7, 2022 at 8:56 am

I am in confusion on this whole matter. So here I am giving the points which I understood. Please let me know whether I am right or wrong.

1)Madhy[ A fluid which is usually secreated as a result of sexual excitement both by male(pre- seminal prostatic fluid discharge) and female(sexual vaginal discharge]. It requires washing the private part and wudu before salah .

2) Mani ( fluid emitted at the point of climax). It requires ghusl before salah.

3). If madhy or mani is being discharged by someone while sleeping then there are some conditions.

A) If he/she is certain about mani then ghusl is obligatory.

B).If he/she is certain about madhy then one must wash the private parts and requires wudu before salah.

C) If he/she is in doubt then ghusl should be performed to avoid any risk.

D) If someone remembers the dream but find no evidence on cloth or on private parts then nothing is necessary.

4). If madhy/mani is found on cloth then it is recommended to wash the affected areas but it is not obligatory. Maintaing cleaningness is obligatory .One can maintain different forms of cleaningess . (Example :- using tissue paper or anything for cleaning the affected areas on cloth.)

• Umer

Moderator March 9, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Your understadning is correct Zubair Sahab. Can you please state your confusion?

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member March 9, 2022 at 12:39 pm

This was my only confusion.. I mean I was not sure wheather or not I understood this correctly😅. Thank you so much🙏🏻.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member April 25, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I have a few other question on mani and madhi, if you can please help me out. I’d really appreciate it.

1.) Earlier I asked you if one is only required to clean the tip of their private part (like after urinfation) after the emission of madhi. And you responded yes. So I just want to confirm, (a) even if one is highly suspicious that that the madhi would have touched a part of the body apart from the tip of the private area beyond a microscopic level, they should ignore this? And (b) they are not required to investigate? (c) Only if they *notice* something in the natural course of events are they required to clean this impurity? (d) And would it be fair to say that there is no way of one being certain that any other part (apart from the tip of the private part) would have contacted the madhi beyond a microscopic level without clearly seeing something?

2.) Can one simply assume that the madhi has not penetrated their undergarment, or do they have to confirm this by looking in the inside of their pants as well? Or does this become a matter of noticing this to be the case?

3.) If one decides to clean the madhi off of their clothes, I believe you mentioned that they can clean it off by scratching, washing, etc. If one decides to wash, is there any requirement whatsoever to rub the impurity on the clothing? I believe I saw this mentioned on a website once, but I personally wouldn’t want to touch impurity directly if possible.

Additionally, isn’t it the case that the madhi would have actually existed on the garment beyond the dry, white stain that is left behind after a little while? So, how would one know how much madhi was originally emitted because the transparent bit would have dried out by then.

4.) There are cases that there may be whiteness on one’s undergarments for reasons other than emission of madhi or mani. For instance, their private area may be very dry and therefore leave behind flakes on the undergarments, leaving behind whitish stains. Similarly, white stains may appear on some kinds of clothing after being washed. So in these cases, am I right in saying that one should be absolutely certain that they are looking at impurity before being obliged to wash their private area or perform ghusl? In other words, it’s only certainty that can require either of those actions and therefore, one does not need to make a decision on the basis of their best judgement?

5.) I think one of the posts above mentioned that if one awakens and finds impurity on their undergarments and are not 100% that they are looking at madhi, they should perform ghusl just in case. I want to clarify, is it a matter of being 100% sure that it is not madhi? Or is that a person’s best judgement informs them that they are looking at madhi and not mani? Because one’s best judgement may inform them that they are looking at madhi; however, they may not be 100% confident in thinking this.

6.) In ghusl, when one is cleaning the mani off of their body, (a) is there an obligation to rub the body parts with mani? (b) Or is it enough to just let water pass of the body part until one *instintively* feel that it must be clean? That is, that they are not necessarily checking to see if the impurity is still there or not after running water over.

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi, and sorry for the essay! Sweat Smile

• Umer

Moderator April 29, 2022 at 7:28 am

1).

a) ignore the suspicions.

b) If you don’t see anything clearly, you’re not under any obligation to do a thorough search.

c) yes

d) yes

2). The same applies what you wrote in 1 (c).

3). You can choose simple washing or rubbing with hand, there’s no compulsion here as well. Since rubbing through washing maching or a brush or hand results in better cleaning, so people prefer that, but simply pouring water will also help one’s clothes achieve basic purity.

4). One can make a decision on the basis of their best judgement, but that best judgement should not be based on mere doubts and suspicioins. Certainty plays a significant role in making best judgement.

5). It is said and advised by the Prophet (sws) as well just to be on a safer side, since human experience tells us such wetness during sleep mostly results from ejaculation while sleeping. Although one can decide otherwise if he has reasons to belive that it is not Mani.

6). Ghusl requires a shower taken in a thorough manner, which implies that one should either rub or use other means to clean one’s body. Use of high pressure water can also help achieve this objective. But this is decision of the individual.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 1, 2022 at 1:00 pm

This definitely helps a lot and makes the situation more endurable. I would just like to ask a few more questions, if that is okay. I think a couple might have been missed from above.

1.) Isn’t it the case that the madhi would have actually existed on the garment beyond the dry, white stain that is left behind after a little while? So, how would one know how much madhi was originally emitted because the transparent bit would have dried out by then. Or are we only required to clean what we can clearly see?

2.) If – while one removes their undergarments – they see that a part of their body other than the tip of the private part was in contact with the madhi on their undergarments, do they have to check/investigate that part of the body to see if impurity spread there? Or can they just assume that this area is clean, unless they notice – in the natural course of events – that impurity spread there?

3.) I know you said that human experience tell us wetness after sleep indicates mani; however, if one sees one or more clearly dried out white stains of smaller quantity after waking up, then there’s no problem in believing it to be madhi, correct? Because mani is typically emitted in far greater quantity and is a lot more wet.

4.) Regarding performing ghusl in a thorough manner, I feel that if one has water reach all of their body parts, then they are meeting the condition of washing themselves ‘thoroughly’. That is, even if they are not rubbing their body parts or using high pressure water. Likewise, I feel that one standing below the shower for a reasonable amount of time, or moving around the bathtub so that water hits them from different angles would also be considered one way of washing oneself ‘thoroughly’. So, are these acceptable definitions of performing ghusl thoroughly?

5.) One time I asked you if merely standing under the shower head during ghusl is sufficient for one’s feet to be considered washed. And you said that if one feels water is reaching that area properly, then it is fine. So just to be clear, water reaching there properly means that the entirety of the feet, and particularly the soles of the feet, are getting wet. Is that correct?

JazakAllah for the help!

• Umer

Moderator May 2, 2022 at 5:46 am

1) The dry patch that one sees clearly, one is only required to clean that.

2) One must notice something clearly in order to establish that impurity has spread elsewhere.

3) Sure if there was no nightfall/wet dream involved, and the stain is very small, then one can conclude that.

4) This is decision of the person as to what constitutes a thorough Ghusl for him. I’d prefer rubbing the body to be a part of it. But one can conclude otherwise as well.

5) Yes entirety of the feet, water must reach properly as a minimum.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 11, 2022 at 12:18 am

There are just a few points here that I’m hoping to get clarified.

1. a) For point 2), this means that it’s a case of noticing and not investigating, correct? I just want to make sure. This is for this question: If – while one removes their undergarments – they see that a part of their body other than the tip of the private part was in contact with the madhi on their undergarments, do they have to check/investigate that part of the body to see if impurity spread there . . .

1. b) Along the same logic, if the tip of the private part comes into contact with something after emitting madhi but before being washed, this means we don’t have to investigate if there is impurity on the object. But if we happen to notice the spread of impurity, then we clean it? Correct? This is because we don’t originally know if the impurity on the tip of the private part was in such a state that it could even spread onto an object (with which it comes into contact) in the first place – most probably it has already dried out.

2) For point 3), it’s not always possible to confirm or remember that a wet dream occurred. However, purely on the basis of one’s experience, can they not just trust their assessment on whether they’re looking at mani or madhi based upon the quantity and the consistency of the impurity found on their undergarment? Because I don’t feel that they will suddenly begin emitting mani in the quantity and appearance of madhi without reason.

3) For point 4), I understand that rubbing the body adds to the thoroughness of Ghusl. But if one has water reach all parts of their body as a minimum, would you consider this to still meet the requirement of thorough washing?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 13, 2022 at 11:34 am

1) a & b) Yes you are correct, but sometimes you don’t see anything but you actually feel something has touched your body – In this case, if you’re certain that you’re feeling something on your body part, then you should wash that specific portion of body (usually such a certain feeling gives precise idea of the body portion where it has touched). In case of uncertainity/doubt, don’t pursue it.

2) That is correct, I don’t see anything objectionable in your statement. But one should be honest about their assessment.

3) I personally wouldn’t do it, but wouldn’t object if someone else is doing it.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 13, 2022 at 3:41 pm

Sorry, I don’t mean to probe too much, but for 3), would you consider such a person’s ghusl to be valid and thorough who does not rub but only has water reach all parts of their body?

I read Dr. Irfan Shahzad’s post here (Discussion 59700), which is why I assumed that rubbing is not a condition for ghusl to be valid.

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator May 13, 2022 at 3:46 pm

That is why I said that I wouldn’t object if someone else is doing it. Meaning Ghusl would be valid from a legal stand-point, as application of thoroughness is a subjective term. The person doing it might consider it to be fully thorough. In such matters, where application is innately subjective, the thing to focus is honesty in application on part of the individual doing it.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 13, 2022 at 3:51 pm

So as long as I honestly consider it to be thorough, I don’t need to worry.

• Umer

Moderator May 13, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Correct.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 15, 2022 at 12:26 am

I want to make sure that I’ve understood all of your points properly through the next few questions, if you don’t mind.

1.a) In all cases of discovering madhi on one’s undergarments, an individual is only required to wash the tip of their private area EXCEPT if they notice or feel the presence of madhi on another part of their body, in which case this part should be washed too. However, if there is even a little of doubt as to whether what they notice or feel on this other part of their body is madhi, then this should be ignored and only the tip of the private part should be washed.

1.b) If one is absolutely certain of feeling madhi on another part of their body than the tip of their private area, they should use their best judgement in ascertaining what this part of their body is/was and simply wash that part normally. Especially in the case that that part later becomes dry and the madhi is no longer something that can be felt. And then the individual should not pay attention to any doubts that they have washed off the madhi on this part of the body. Correct?

1.c) There shouldn’t ever be a need to take a shower after the emission of madhi. Sitting at the toilet and washing oneself is always sufficient. Is this correct too?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 16, 2022 at 12:11 am

1. a) Correct

1. b) Correct

1.c) Correct

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 21, 2022 at 12:31 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi!

1. a) There was a thought that came to mind. Let’s say that someone needs to use the washroom and performs istinja with water. And they notice madhi on their undergarment; however, they are unable to clean their undergarment right away due to circumstance. In this case, by wearing their undergarment once again while their private area is wet, but the madhi still remains on the undergarment, is there any concern that the madhi on the undergarment would have transferred to the body? Or again, if we notice with certainty that detectable madhi is on us, then we have to worry? Otherwise, we can assume that there was either no transfer or microscopic/undetectable transfer of madhi? 1.b) And does anything change if the madhi on the undergarment later appears to be in lesser quantity than before, thereby implying that water was in contact with the madhi on the undergarment?

2.) When it comes to suspicions of having emitted madhi, does one have to check at every little doubt (for example, every time one encounters a sexual thought)? Or can one do things normally and only check when there is considerable or strong doubt that madhi was emitted?

3.) Are all the points that we discussed above (including the ones here) applicable to urine drops?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 21, 2022 at 8:07 pm

1.a) The same rule will be applied i.e. whether you see it on your body or you feel it with certainty as mentioned in point 1) a & b) of the following response as well:

Discussion 59642 • Reply 69526

1.b) No it doesn’t affect the rule we’ve discussed earlier

2) Usually a person’s own experience is a good guide in this regard, as its sensitivity can vary from individual to individual. Your experience can tell you well that how much time of such thoughts or with what intensity usually result in emission.

3) Yes they are.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 22, 2022 at 12:25 am

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi! All of these points make a lot of sense.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 22, 2022 at 9:27 am

Sorry Mr. Umer Qureshi,

Just one more point I was hoping you could clarify. So, I asked you what one should do when they are uncertain if what they see on their undergarments is impurity (madhi/mani) or something else (e.g., dandruff), etc. You replied:

4). One can make a decision on the basis of their best judgement, but that best judgement should not be based on mere doubts and suspicioins. Certainty plays a significant role in making best judgement.”

So, in this case, is it always enough just to take a look at the marks on the undergarment? Or is any kind of further investigation needed to help make a determination, such as feeling the undergarment, etc.? Although what I understand from what you’re saying, one should be almost certain that what they see is madhi or mani, in which case I suppose these kinds of measures should not be necessary?

• Umer

Moderator May 22, 2022 at 2:40 pm

You decision based on looking at the marks is enough.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 22, 2022 at 5:25 pm

1.) And the decision should be based off of certainty or almost near certainty as to whether impurity is present on the undergarment?

2.) Is there any harm in wearing clothes where the marks may be harder to see than other clothes? Or this is going into too much detail and doing things normally is fine?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 22, 2022 at 5:28 pm

1.) Same principle of certainty.

2.) Go for what you wear normally.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 22, 2022 at 5:36 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi!

But for 1), I assumed that it’s not a case of absolute certainty because earlier you said: “One can make a decision on the basis of their best judgement, but that best judgement should not be based on mere doubts and suspicioins. Certainty plays a significant role in making best judgement.” Or should I just stick to absolute certainty like you just said?

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator May 23, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Best judgement can differ from individual to individual. For some, it can be a stage at even below absolute certainty. One can act on that if one chooses to, but for someone to be held accountable for staying in impurity, that is when one is certain about it and still keeps ignoring that.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 23, 2022 at 4:59 pm

Can I set my standard of best judgement as acting on absolute certainty alone? And this is only for the reason that it is easy?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 26, 2022 at 11:41 pm

Yes you should and I’d recommend this to everyone who is overwhelmed with doubts and suspicions when it comes to religious matters like bodily cleanliness.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 27, 2022 at 7:23 pm

What about an ordinary person who does not have doubts and suspicions with regards to bodily cleanliness? Since they too would be only held accountable for staying in impurity of which they are certain, they also have the option of acting on absolute certainty alone correct? In this case in terms of whether there is impurity on their undergarment or not. Without any repercussions?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 28, 2022 at 7:07 am

Of course, this bare minimum applies to everyone. Going for more sensitivity towards impurity is a matter of personal preference. But not recommended for the ones more prone to doubts and suspicions. Infact, in some cases it can go against the spirit of religion if one puts himself in undue difficulty because of this. Sticking to bare minimum would suffice for everyone Insha’Allah.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 28, 2022 at 10:03 pm

A couple other questions came to mind.

1.) If the stain of madhi on one’s undergarments come into contact with something else, such as one’s pants, do they have to investigate if there has been any transference of impurity? Or is this again a matter of noticing something in the natural course of events?

2.) If one performs istinja and subsequently wears undergarments with a stain of madhi once again due to not being able to clean or remove the undergarment right away, will they have to clean their private part again or is it considered to be clean at this point in spite of the fact that they wore the madhi-stained undergarment after istinja?

JazakAllah!

• Umer

Moderator May 29, 2022 at 9:50 pm

1) How did one know that it actually came into contact? either one is certain about it, if yes, then clean the visible spot or best approximation of the spot. If no, then don’t pursue doubts and let things unfold in their natural course of events.

2) It is better to clean again if one hasn’t gotten rid of clear impurity on their clothes while knowing it to be there.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 29, 2022 at 10:39 pm

For 1), of course we would only have to clean or approximate the spot if it’s detectable impurity, right? And I was just wondering if let’s say someone is removing their pants and undergarments, and in the process the pant touches the stain of madhi on the undergarments. In this case, is it an obligation to check the pants for transference of impurity? Or because it is unknown whether it is even dry or wet in the first place, coupled with the fact that something of such small quantity will not typically spread in a detectable quantity onto an object in the first place, this means that checking is not necessary?

For 2), logically, it makes sense to me that one should clean again. But is it something that is strictly obligatory? And do we stick to normally washing the private part as we would after urinating since any madhi would typically not dirty one’s body beyond this level? Just generally speaking. So, this is a safe and non-burdensome approach that will remove the impurity in the vast majority of cases except for rare instances, if ever.

• Umer

Moderator May 29, 2022 at 11:36 pm

1) It is quite possible that may may reach this conclusion to not check, because of uncertainty or becuase it was dry to begin with or because of minute quantity. All these factors can become a reason to not check.

2) I agree, If normal washing of private parts is done subseqently, then its enough.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member June 4, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Sorry, there are still a few questions remaining in my mind, I hope you don’t mind.

1. a) In response to me asking whether there is an obligation to check once pants, if they see madhi on their undergarments come into contact with their pants (or any other clothes or object), you replied: “t is quite possible that may may reach this conclusion to not check, because of uncertainty or becuase it was dry to begin with or because of minute quantity. All these factors can become a reason to not check.”

So, can someone apply this idea in a more general sense? I know that we discussed earlier that one should check for the spread of detectable impurity on an object if they see that impurity directly came into contact with it. However, if any of these factors that you listed comes into play, or because someone’s instinct informs them that impurity has likely not spread onto the object, can they refrain from investigating the spread of impurity onto that object altogether? So, the person would be acting normally. For example, I feel as though there are some impure stains, which, even if wet, one will instinctively be able to tell will not spread onto an object at a detectable level, even if there is direct contact between the stain and the object.

1. b) And so on the topic of madhi on one’s undergarments coming into contact with their clothes or another object, can one always leave it up to noticing the spread of detectable impurity onto these objects/clothes in the natural course of events? And refrain from investigating the matter? Part of this has to do with hardship, since it may not be uncommon for the stain of madhi on one’s undergarment to come into contact with clean parts of their undergarment as they remove the undergarment.

2) Also, Mr. Umer Qureshi, you said that one should ignore doubts when unsure if what they see on their undergarment is impurity or not. In this case, is it enough to just look at undergarment, or is the person also expected to take other measures to establish certainty on the presence of impurity? For example, feeling for whatever is creating doubt about being impurity.

3) To my question on when one should check their undergarments regarding emission of madhi, you replied: “Usually a person’s own experience is a good guide in this regard, as its sensitivity can vary from individual to individual. Your experience can tell you well that how much time of such thoughts or with what intensity usually result in emission.” Can one apply the same points with regards emission of other impurity. For example, using one’s experience with regards to when they have emitted mani, and only checking their undergarments under these circumstances. Same thing with regards to emission of urine. In the case of mani, they would be using their experience to judge whether what they feel after waking up is very probably mani, or sweat, for example. That way one can ignore every little doubt and sensation associated with emission of impurity, which would make life easier?

4) In one of the answers, you said that one does not investigate if madhi has penetrated to the exterior of their undergarment and therefore come into contact with their pants/trousers. It is a matter of noticing in the natural course of events. In the case of mani, it only seems logical and obvious that the impurity will spread outside the undergarment. But with regards to whether it spread outside the pants/trousers, can one apply the same idea that you discussed before and leave it to one noticing this in the natural course of events? And so, one does not have investigate whether the mani has penetrated outside their pants/trousers, but it’s just a matter of noticing it?

• Umer

Moderator June 5, 2022 at 11:41 pm

1). (a). Yes, that is correct interpretation.

1). (b). Yes, but natural course of events also include instances where one becomes certain of its spread and hence acting accordingly (it is the same thing what you said but just clarifying the wording).

2). If such a feeling has some genuine basis which would lead to release of madhi etc. then one should check it, and if there’s no such basis and just some feeling, then no need to uselessly investigate the matter further unless something clear comes to one’s attention in the natural course of events.

3). Yes, one can do that.

4). Yes, as far as outside of pants/trouser is concerned, one can apply the same principle.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member June 6, 2022 at 10:13 am

For 2), in this case, is it enough for a person to just take a glance of their undergarments? Or also feeling for any marks or stains is necessary as a part of ‘further investigation’?

For 4, when you see outside of pants/trouser, we mean in terms of whether there is a stain present on the outside of the trouser/pants itself, correct?

• Umer

Moderator June 7, 2022 at 10:29 pm

For 2) A thorough glance is enough

For 4) Yes

• Haseeb Faisal

Member April 25, 2022 at 5:39 pm

1.) (e) I forgot to ask, if – while one removes their undergarments – they see that a part of their body other than the tip of the private part was in contact with the madhi on their undergarments, do they have to check that part of the body to see if impurity spread there? Or can they just assume that this area is clean, unless they notice – in the natural course of events – that impurity spread there?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 27, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Brother you promised to forgo your doubts. But it seems you resume them. The question entails the answers by yourself at the end of every of your statement. We need to bother about impurity when it comes to notice and remove it by rubbing brushing or washing to our satisfaction in a normal way. Then forget about it.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member April 28, 2022 at 3:39 am

Yes, Dr. Irfan Shahzad,

I know you are right. But the problem is, if my thoughts are unresolved then I am very much unclear on how to deal with these situations. I then proceed to shower constantly, and change my clothes several times in a day. It’s way too difficult to live like this. When I ask these questions, I hope that someone can show me I have misunderstood the demands of the religion so that life can become easier for me. Already in these last several months, asking questions on these topics has really helped me live a normal life. But I am still very confused on how to deal with madhi, since it’s very difficult to control its emission. I was hoping there are some principles I can follow, because many of the points that I have listed above are very confusing for me.

But again, I don’t mean to disregard your advice to ignore the doubts. It’s just that in some cases I haven’t found that ignoring my doubts has helped me.

I’m still confused about many of the points that I’ve listed above.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 28, 2022 at 3:43 am

When you feel trouble it is your own creation. If you really miss some impurity, even then man is not responsible which escapes his notice.

Once done with any impurity, don’t look back.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member April 28, 2022 at 3:51 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad,

Okay, that makes sense. I’m just scared I will make a mistake.

Is it okay if I continue to try to remove madhi but make life easy for myself by avoiding things like showers and changing clothes all the time?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member April 28, 2022 at 4:51 am

We should fear Allah but at the same time we should know that Allah is loving too.

The principle is to maintain cleaningness, and now it’s up us how we maintain it.

Different people have different sense of purity.

If one feels that one can achieve purity just by cleaning the affected area with tissue paper, then this is also fine cause according to him he is maintaining cleaningness.

The Same goes for washing and changing the clothes. It’s totally up to the individual what he/she feels is right.

If you find it difficult to change clothes all the time, you can choose to clean only the affected area.

We know that Allah is the most loving. We should do as much as we can , but that doesn’t mean we start Overthinking. Overthinking can destroy our present life, I have faced it too. We should do what we can and move forward in life with positivity otherwise our future will be in danger and instead of doing good deeds we will get stuck in our head in never ending thoughts.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 1, 2022 at 12:49 pm

JazakAllah for the advice, Zubair Bhai. I really appreciate it. You are absolutely right – I need to stop overthinking and trust that Allah SWT is the most loving. I will try to incorporate your advice into my life.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 28, 2022 at 6:58 am

Ejaculation necessitates ghusal. Not anything else. For rest only washing suffices

• Haseeb Faisal

Member May 1, 2022 at 12:50 pm

JazakAllah, Dr. Irfan Shahzad.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member April 25, 2022 at 9:29 pm

I also have one question that is :-

If madhy/mani on affected area dries completely, then is it require to wash the affected area on cloth?. Also, It may not be visible after drying.

1)So in this case, if the madhy/mani gets dry, is it necessary to wash/clean the affected area on cloth?

2) If yes, then how would a person understand the affected area on the cloth? Cause Sometimes after it dries, the affected area disappears.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 27, 2022 at 10:49 pm

You can rub, brush or wash to remove such substance to your satisfaction. If not visible on body a simple washing will be enough.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member April 28, 2022 at 12:25 am

Thank you sir🙏🏻.

The discussion "Doubts Whether Mani Or Madhi" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now