Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Wishing Non-Muslims On Their Festivals

• Wishing Non-Muslims On Their Festivals

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on November 11, 2021 at 10:44 am

I have understood that If I wish non-muslims on their festival it’s not shirk unless the basis of the celebration is polytheism also I can attain and celebrate those festivals by keeping myself away from shirk.

But If I say “Happy puja” on their festival then It will be wrong . So Can I attain if the festival is about worshipping idol?.

I think that there is no wrong in attaining these festivals too . The only thing I have to keep in mind is not to involve in shirk. But I think I can’t wish them Even also by attaining if the festival or the wishing involve shirk like “happy durga puja” “happy ganesh chaturthi” and etc etc.

@faisalharoon @Irfan76

Mohammed Zubair Alam replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Wishing Non-Muslims On Their Festivals

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 11, 2021 at 11:58 am

And also celebrating festivals like diwali, holi,halloween,chirstmas,new year etc is no wrong .

It doesn’t matter what is the root of these festivals or from which point of view they celebrate it. We have to see in the present moment that is there any shirk or not. If there is shirk we will restrict ourselves. This is what I have understood from the view ghamidi sahab.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 11, 2021 at 9:29 pm

In Christmas, we can participate and greet with another perspective which is ours that it is the birthday of the prophet Christ, which is well known, but greeting or participating festivals to celebrate a god and for that we have no other perspective, is involving ourselves in the celebration of Shirk.

and yes you second point is correct that whatever the origin is, the present form of a celebration determines its status for us.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 11, 2021 at 10:35 pm

If they celebrate a festival of polytheism and invite me then How to handle it?.

Can I attain their places with the perspective of showing brotherhood by restricting myself from wishing (If the wishing itself contain shirk) and participating in their rituals.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 12, 2021 at 2:52 am

Being a Muslims, you have to refuse to participate, now, how you handle it is what you have to think of. you can refuse they way they refuse to partake in the animal sacrificial ceremony on Eid ul Adha.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 12, 2021 at 3:01 am

yeah. Good point. Bdw I was not talking about participating in their rituals but Can I attain those places in the perspective of showing brotherhood and also if they invite me in a lunch or in a dinner on that festive day.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 12, 2021 at 4:08 am

I think that restricting oneself from shirk is the main point. Though we have a perspective in chirstmas but chirstians somehow connect the festival with worshipping prophet jesus. Similarly in diwali,holi,halloween and there are many festivals which can be celebrated by muslims with a different perspective but non-muslims somehow connect these festivals with shirk and origin.

So what I understood from ghamidi saab view and also I belief that restricting oneself from shirk is the main point. And present form of a festival depend . Exception part is If present form of a festival contain shirk we can attend only when we have a different perspective.

so in this view a festival which is fully about polytheism can also be attend by a muslim if they are invited in a dinner or anything.here we have a different view. The only thing which every muslim need to keep in mind is not to involve when they perform rituals containing shirk. We can just side our way from these but I think still one can be present at that place . Cause muslims are also not restricted from visiting temples, church. So I think in this perspective of attending not to celebrate polytheism but to attend the place only if they invite us for a dinner , lunch or anything we can go. And Obviously when someone will invite they will name the invitation according to their festival . And tha name may or may not contain shirk. But deep down the invitation is for gathering for a meal or just to come to their place but not to participate in their rituals. Same with the marriage ceremonies. I think one can also attend those ceremonies not to involve in rituals containing shirk.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 13, 2021 at 7:04 am

Please let me know what I think or belief is right or wrong.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 14, 2021 at 3:10 am
    • Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 14, 2021 at 8:54 pm

I am confused on this matter. It will be great If I get a reply.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 15, 2021 at 3:24 am

Participating in lunch or dinner is social interaction and one can join them.

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 15, 2021 at 3:28 am

But what if the gathering of dinner or lunch is arranged on the day of celebration of polytheism and at the same place where polytheism is being celebrated. Can we join them because they arrrange those things in the happiness of celebration.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 15, 2021 at 3:36 am

Since these things are not the essential part of the festivals so a Muslim can join them

• Mohammed Zubair Alam

Member November 15, 2021 at 3:56 am

Okayyy now I have got it. So it doesn’y depend whether the celebration is about polytheism or not we can join then if they invite us with a different perspective by restricting ourselves to take part in any rituals. Like I used to be in a hindu school. So the school always used to do the celebration on the ocassion of Saraswati puja. It was advised to every students to come on that day. So I always used to go but I have never participated in any rituals. So I think there is no wrong in it. And sometimes they also used to do programmes which include :- dancing ,singing . So I think A muslim can participate in those programmes on that day if the programmes doesn’t contain any shirk.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register