Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Can I Talk To My Fiancee Before Nikah ?

Tagged: ,

• Can I Talk To My Fiancee Before Nikah ?

Nadeem Minhas updated 2 years, 5 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • ودود

Member December 2, 2021 at 9:23 am

Why not, man? If you ignore her that would be so rude, unfair and unnatural – none of which God likes.

• Ahsan

Moderator December 2, 2021 at 11:33 am

A person can talk to fiance as long as they do not go near to zina as being fiance doesnt mean you are married.
    One should also respect local traditions and cultural norms to avoid unnecessary unpleasantries.

You may find following video helpful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l16ad6WN0Q0

• Umer

Moderator December 2, 2021 at 3:13 pm

“Islam has never restricted the believers from entering into meaningful conversation between two unrelated members of opposite sex. It does not make any difference whether they are married, betrothed or not. The only thing one needs to observe is that they must not indulge in useless talk and give Satan an opportunity to spoil their inner purification. A woman may talk to her fiancé, colleagues at work, teachers, students and other people with whom one always needs to deal with in discharging our responsibilities and settle mutual affairs. However, men and women should always remain modest and are not prone to meaningless and inappropriate talk whether on the phone or in person”….

(Tariq Mahmood Hashmi)

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 4, 2021 at 8:45 am

I am a student and based my understanding, there is not restriction on talking to opposite gender as long as a Halal topic is discussed and it is a meeting in a public place. With a fiance, it is allowed to talk in private, but only to talk something halal.

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 4, 2021 at 8:55 am

That’s not true. Islam doesn’t allow opposite sex to talk in private .

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 4, 2021 at 2:10 pm

It allows with your fiance. Straight from Quran.

• Quaid Jamal

Member December 5, 2021 at 4:21 am

If it’s from Quran ,can you please quote ayat here.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 5, 2021 at 9:54 am

[2:235] You commit no sin by announcing your engagement to the women, or keeping it secret. GOD knows that you will think about them. Do not meet them secretly, unless you have something righteous to discuss. Do not consummate the marriage until their interim is fulfilled. You should know that GOD knows your innermost thoughts, and observe Him. You should know that GOD is Forgiver, Clement.

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 6, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Where it says you talk with her In private .

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 8, 2021 at 8:26 am

2:235″…Do not meet them secretly, unless you have something righteous to discuss…”

Sahih International: …But do not promise them secretly except for saying a proper saying…

Pickthall: …But plight not your troth with women except by uttering a recognised form of words…

Yusuf Ali: … But do not make a secret contract with them except in terms Honourable,…

Shakir: …but do not give them a promise in secret unless you speak in a lawful manner…

Muhammad Sarwar: …Do not have secret dates unless you behave lawfully….

Mohsin Khan: …but do not make a promise of contract with them in secret except that you speak an honourable saying according to the Islamic law…

Arberry: …but do not make troth with them secretly without you speak honourable words…

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 8, 2021 at 8:50 am

Here are some other translations of the same Ayah:

https://www.islamawakened.com/quran/2/235/default.htm

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 8, 2021 at 9:13 am

Brother in all translation it only says talk in honorable manner but it doesn’t says in private . If you see Arabic there is not any word which translate private . JazkALLAH

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 8, 2021 at 10:13 am

In all translation it also says do not talk, promise or contract in secret, but only to talk something lawful, honorable, halal, etc. To me meaning is clear. You may talk to her in private, but only for Halal subject to discuss something important, but not for bad intentions.

I am not Arabic expert, but if the “Private” is not in Arabic, there must be something equivalent, such as, “secret”. Not all translation can be wrong.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register