Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Do We Have To Repent For Every Minor Sin Ever Committed?

• Do We Have To Repent For Every Minor Sin Ever Committed?

Posted by Adam Mir on December 3, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Are we liable for repenting for every sin ever committed? I have a situation and would guidance from an Islamic Perspective:

I was working on a coding project for work to present to the boss. A friend from another firm heard about my project and sent me some sample code he had worked on to help me develop my ideas for a code. The problem was we were supposed to do this 100% independently – without any external help. I know my abilities and would have completed the project regardless, but still worried that my friend’s code may have influenced my ideas for the final project. At the end of the day, I received help that I should not have had. I admit it was wrong to accept the help and repented.

My problem is this: my good friend, with good intentions who helped me. Are those that help others sin, sinful as well? Was my friend’s assistance in my deceit, sinful as well?

I feel guilty for potentially dragging them into sin, knowing that we must repent to have our sins cleansed by Allah. In such a case, should I go to my friend, tell them how I feel and request that they repent for themselves as well? I feel very awkward about potentially doing this, but Allah matters a lot to me. Ensuring their Akhirat is not compromised because of a moment of personal weakness on my end is important to me.

On a broader level: does Allah expect us to repent for every minor sin in life?

Umer replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Do We Have To Repent For Every Minor Sin Ever Committed?

Umer updated 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member December 4, 2021 at 8:33 am

I am a student myself. Based on my understanding, we should repent for everything small or large and avoid repeating the same mistakes. We should also repent for mistakes that we may not be aware of. It doesn’t take lot of effort or it doesn’t cost money to repent, but Allah is very forgiving. So why not? Keep in mind that Allah may not forgive our sins against our fellow humans. We need to ask the victims for forgiveness and correct the wrong that we may have committed. The sin you are talking about seems to be a minor sin, but why not repent. Also, let your friend to do the same.

• Umer

Moderator December 4, 2021 at 8:59 am

We Muslims have been asked to refrain from great sins and acts of vulgarity (Quran, 42:37; 53:32) which result in major sins and these sins are mentioned in Quran (17:22-39). If a person is able to abstain from disobeying these directives, then its reward is that his minor sins will be forgiven by the Merciful Lord otherwise all his major and minor sins will be recorded in the register of his deeds and he will have to give their account:

إِن تَجْتَنِبُواْ كَبَآئِرَ مَا تُنْهَوْنَ عَنْهُ نُكَفِّرْ عَنكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَنُدْخِلْكُم مُّدْخَلاً كَرِيمًا

If you abstain from the major sins of what is being prohibited to you, We shall forgive your minor sins and shall make you enter a place of honour. (4:31)

I must also add that a muslim is a human being and not an emotionless robot, where he asks forgiveness for his major sins but doesn’t ask forgiveness for his minor sins. Instead, we should expect a Muslim to be asking forgiveness for all his sins, irrespective of their gravity, especially the one who has consciously accepted Islam as his/her religion.

The current dilemma that you are facing, I think it would be best that you mention your guilt in front of your friend instead of putting label on him as being a part of this sin. If your friend feels the same way at the end as you, then hopefully he will also feel the same level of guilt. You job will be done as soon as you do that. Also, I am getting an idea that you actually didn’t copy any code, but you’re concerned that you may have taken some inspiration from those codes. If this is the case, then this means that you didn’t intentionally commit a sin here and if the disobedience is unintentional, God will not hold a person accountable. His law is that if a person commits a misdeed unintentionally, He will not punish him. While stating a directive about adopted sons, the Quran says:

وَلَيْسَ عَلَيْكُمْ جُنَاحٌ فِيمَا أَخْطَأْتُم بِهِ وَلَكِن مَّا تَعَمَّدَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

And the mistake you have made in this matter shall be forgiven, but in what your hearts make an intention shall not be forgiven. God is Ever-Forgiving and Ever-Merciful. (33:5)

I do not know all the facts concerning your situation, therefore, my conclusion regarding your situation might be wrong. You’re in a better position to undertsand these principles from Quran as mentioned above (and detailed links given below) and then apply to your situation.

Following thread-link details the ten commandments of Quran which result in major sins (Kabeera Gunnah) if one deviates from them:

Discussion 53800 • Reply 53844

Following video summarizes the above point:

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register