Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Cultural Practices Involving Religion Like Qul, Chaliswan And Quran Khawani

• Cultural Practices Involving Religion Like Qul, Chaliswan And Quran Khawani

Posted by Daniyaa Khan on December 9, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Qul and chaliswa and Quran khawani is a tradition in our country for dead ones. Can’t it be a cultural thing and just a society tradition?

As a person I can’t stop this thing and can’t stop someone in my home from organizing it and as a person who living in a society like this you have to do participate in it either it is in your home or in your relatives, friends neighborhood etc. It’s really hard for you to cut yourself out from all of them so Is there any choice for that person to do it just as on cultural basis like if I’m organizing it or participating in it my intention is that it just a cultural thing of society it has nothing to do with my religion. what I’m doing is just a society tradition and culture not religious perspective.

Umer replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Cultural Practices Involving Religion Like Qul, Chaliswan And Quran Khawani

Umer updated 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 10, 2021 at 1:27 am

We are not supposed to “stop” anything of personal or cultural matter. Even a government is not allowed to impose its religious understanding on the people who have a different understanding of religion. All we need is to discuss and educate the people when they are willing to listen.

Having said that, if people observe such practices as cultural practices, not religious ones, there is not problem with them. But if they insist that their religion asks them to do, then we come to debate with them in decent and informed manner.

• Daniyaa Khan

Member December 10, 2021 at 8:15 am

Right but my point was can I organize and participate such cultural/traditional event or activities with the intention of cultural thing not religious one?

I don’t know about other ones if people think our deen said that so that’s why we are doing this I have nothing to do with their belief or intention I’m asking just can I go there or organize it with my correct intention Recite quran there and make dua there for dead ones. Because as a person living in society I can’t cut them off all. If my family members organizing it I can’t stand alone there not stopping them but saying this is this and that right?because this is metter of Respect in society as well what I can do pure my intention that this is just a cultural things? I’m not able to take decision I’m worried what should I do?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 12, 2021 at 11:43 pm

There is no problem in participating in such ceremonies, keeping in view that they are cultural. but if they take names other Allah on meals, they are haram to eat.

• Daniyaa Khan

Member December 13, 2021 at 10:21 am

Thank you

Jazak Allah

• Umer

Moderator December 18, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Following advice of Ghamidi Sahab might also be helpful in this regard:

Discussion 47982 • Reply 48058

• Daniyaa Khan

Member December 19, 2021 at 6:49 pm

It’s not clear to me. Air Javed Ghamidi said you shouldn’t do it by considering it Mazhab. And on the other hand he said should stay away from it. It’s so confusing. What should I do. Should I not go at anyone’s funerals days like Gul chaliswa and Should I not go to any relative or friend’s house for khatam like durood pak Mehfil or Quran khawani etc. I was worried about it but It makes me more confuse. It’s not easy to stay away all of this living in a society like this. I asked should I participate recite Quran etc with intention that Its not the part of our religion. I’m so worried what should I do.

After the reply of Dr shehzad I thought I got my answer but now I don’t get what actually Sir Javed Ghamidi wanted to say. Can you please make it clear.

• Daniyaa Khan

Member December 19, 2021 at 8:45 pm

What I want to say is If my family members organize Mehfil of Quran khawani or Allah na kry If someone close died and people around me organize ceremonies like Qul Chaliswa etc how I can avoid everything. I am so worried I’m not that strong every body talks. We belong to middle class family there is not much awareness in people. Also there are some other scholars who consider it right so people think its right. There Quran khawani, Mehfil,Milaad etc is so common every 2nd week someone calls for gathering and Milad etc.

what should I do Please help

Pensive

• Umer

Moderator December 20, 2021 at 4:17 pm

As fas as social element of these gatherings is concerned, you can participate in them and console the bereaved family members. As far as religious element of these gatherings is concerned (i.e. Quran Khawani for Esal-e-Sawab in a Qul, Chaleswan), one should not participate in that activity. You can politely excuse yourself from participating in that particular activity just the way you would’ve excused yourself from any meal they would’ve offered you that was originally prepared to please any diety/person (peer baba etc.) other than Allah.

https://youtu.be/GxD2nu4uj50

• Daniyaa Khan

Member December 19, 2021 at 10:57 pm

I heard Another scholar Sir Tariq Mehmood He said There are two types of Mehfils If we recite Quran for Barkat its Okay Because it lies in the category of Dawa(Ruqiya) but if we recite for Sawal It lies in the category of Ibadat that need proof by Quran and hadith.

Please Explain

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 20, 2021 at 5:19 am

you better take the advice of Ghamidi sahib

Here is another video stating more clearly, that these are Bidah and we have to stay away from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5YoUYdO0dQ

The discussion "Cultural Practices Involving Religion Like Qul, Chaliswan And Quran Khawani" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now