Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Combining Prayers: Valid Reasons

• Combining Prayers: Valid Reasons

Posted by Sana on December 9, 2021 at 9:25 pm

I am aware that one needs a valid reason to combine prayers. What about the following examples (as a woman)?

[1] Bride on her wedding day – due to heavy makeup and clothes, it can be very difficult to pray Maghrib. Can she combine with Isha and combine Asr/Zhuhr before going to the parlour? Some say that she should make a Wudhu and hold it throughout the day, but the hardship of not drinking, eating and trying to hold in gas all day can be very difficult and distressing.

[2] Guest at a wedding – sometimes there is a Jamaat at a wedding. However, for ladies it can be difficult to find a place to do Wudhu with the fancy clothes. Can Maghrib/Isha be combined in this case?

I know these might seem like trivial reasons, but they do cause significant hardship.

Ahsan replied 1 year, 8 months ago 7 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Combining Prayers: Valid Reasons

Ahsan updated 1 year, 8 months ago 7 Members · 13 Replies
  • Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member December 9, 2021 at 10:07 pm

TThere is hadis in sahihen that there is no cause but prophet performing both salat at one time , so u have some cause

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 9, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Sahih Muslim – 1629

کتاب:کتاب: مسافرو ں کی نماز اور قصر کے احکام

باب:حضر (قیام کی حالت )میں دو نمازیں جمع کرنا

ARABIC:

و حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يُونُسَ وَعَوْنُ بْنُ سَلَّامٍ جَمِيعًا عَنْ زُهَيْرٍ قَالَ ابْنُ يُونُسَ حَدَّثَنَا زُهَيْرٌ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو الزُّبَيْرِ عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ جُبَيْرٍ عَنْ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ قَالَ صَلَّى رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ الظُّهْرَ وَالْعَصْرَ جَمِيعًا بِالْمَدِينَةِ فِي غَيْرِ خَوْفٍ وَلَا سَفَرٍ قَالَ أَبُو الزُّبَيْرِ فَسَأَلْتُ سَعِيدًا لِمَ فَعَلَ ذَلِكَ فَقَالَ سَأَلْتُ ابْنَ عَبَّاسٍ كَمَا سَأَلْتَنِي فَقَالَ أَرَادَ أَنْ لَا يُحْرِجَ أَحَدًا مِنْ أُمَّتِهِ

TRANSLATION:

زہیر نے کہا : ہمیں ابو زبیر نے سعید بن جبیر سے حدیث سنائی ، انھوں نے حضرت ابن عباس رضی اللہ عنہما سے روایت کی ، انھوں نے کہا : رسول اللہ ﷺ نے ظہر اور عصر کو مدینہ میں کسی خوف اور سفر کے بغیر جمع کر کے پڑھا ۔

ابوزبیر نے کہا : میں نے ( ابن عباس رضی اللہ عنہما کے شاگرد ) سعید سے پوچھا : آپ ﷺ نے ایسا کیوں کیا تھا ؟ انھوں نے جواب دیا : میں نے بھی حضرت ابن عباس رضی اللہ عنہما سے سوال کیا تھا جیسے تم نے مجھ سے سوال کیا ہے تو انھوں نے کہا : آپ نے چاہا کہ اپنی امت کے کسی فرد کو تنگی اور دشواری میں نہ ڈالیں ۔

http://www.theislam360.com

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 9, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Prophet saws combine namaz in madina , means without traveling , without rain & without fear . So we can combine namaz without any reason. Praying namaz separately at there time is superior.

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 9, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Sahih Muslim – 1629

ARABIC:

و حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ يُونُسَ وَعَوْنُ بْنُ سَلَّامٍ جَمِيعًا عَنْ زُهَيْرٍ قَالَ ابْنُ يُونُسَ حَدَّثَنَا زُهَيْرٌ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو الزُّبَيْرِ عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ جُبَيْرٍ عَنْ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ قَالَ صَلَّى رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ الظُّهْرَ وَالْعَصْرَ جَمِيعًا بِالْمَدِينَةِ فِي غَيْرِ خَوْفٍ وَلَا سَفَرٍ قَالَ أَبُو الزُّبَيْرِ فَسَأَلْتُ سَعِيدًا لِمَ فَعَلَ ذَلِكَ فَقَالَ سَأَلْتُ ابْنَ عَبَّاسٍ كَمَا سَأَلْتَنِي فَقَالَ أَرَادَ أَنْ لَا يُحْرِجَ أَحَدًا مِنْ أُمَّتِهِ

TRANSLATION:

Ibn ‘Abbas reported:

The Messenger of Allah ( ‌صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم ‌ ) observed the noon and afternoon prayers together in Medina without being in a state of fear or in a state of journey. (Abu Zubair said: I asked Sa’id [one of the narrators] why he did that. He said: I asked Ibn ‘Abbas as you have asked me, and he replied that he [the Holy Prophet] wanted that no one among his Ummah should be put to [unnecessary] hardship.)

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 10, 2021 at 1:39 am

Prayers cannot be combined until there is some valid reason as stated by the Quran. This principle stance of Quran cannot be altered by a Hadith. Moreover the stated Hadith is no direct narration from the prophet himself. He did not tell people that they could combine the prayers without a valid reason. it is the onlooker, the companion who assumed from the circumstances that the prophet did it without a valid excuse and to provide ease to his Ummah. The assumption of the companion can’t invalidate the principle stance of Quran.

The ease of combing prayers is if the performer faces hardship in taking out separate time for each prayer. In the cases cited above, if the person really feels it is difficult for her, she can decide to combine the prayers and also can shorten the prayers, i.e, saying two rakat for 4 rakat prayers.

• ABDULLAH Malik

Member December 11, 2021 at 8:59 pm

Salam brother . It is not the assumption of sahaba but sahaba combine prayer & tell people it was a sunnah. Ibn ‘Abbas combine two prayers together & one person asked abu huraira ra about ibn Abbas action & abu huraira confirmed that prophet saws combine prayer together. In a hadith where ibn Abbas ra saying that prophet saws combine prayer in Medina , without fear & rain , he is trying to tell people that there was not reason but still prophet saws combine prayer , if there was a reason then he would just simply mention it but he ra saying in a hadith prophet saws combine prayer in Medina , without fear & rain otherwise ibn Abbas ra would not mention all three thing because it does make sense otherwise . Thanks Sahih Muslim – 1636

ARABIC:

و حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو الرَّبِيعِ الزَّهْرَانِيُّ حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادٌ عَنْ الزُّبَيْرِ بْنِ الْخِرِّيتِ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ شَقِيقٍ قَالَ خَطَبَنَا ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ يَوْمًا بَعْدَ الْعَصْرِ حَتَّى غَرَبَتْ الشَّمْسُ وَبَدَتْ النُّجُومُ وَجَعَلَ النَّاسُ يَقُولُونَ الصَّلَاةَ الصَّلَاةَ قَالَ فَجَاءَهُ رَجُلٌ مِنْ بَنِي تَمِيمٍ لَا يَفْتُرُ وَلَا يَنْثَنِي الصَّلَاةَ الصَّلَاةَ فَقَالَ ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ أَتُعَلِّمُنِي بِالسُّنَّةِ لَا أُمَّ لَكَ ثُمَّ قَالَ رَأَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ جَمَعَ بَيْنَ الظُّهْرِ وَالْعَصْرِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ وَالْعِشَاءِ قَالَ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ شَقِيقٍ فَحَاكَ فِي صَدْرِي مِنْ ذَلِكَ شَيْءٌ فَأَتَيْتُ أَبَا هُرَيْرَةَ فَسَأَلْتُهُ فَصَدَّقَ مَقَالَتَهُ

TRANSLATION:

Abdullah b. Shaqiq reported:

Ibn ‘Abbas one day addressed us in the afternoon (after the afternoon prayer) till the sun disappeared and the stars appeared, and the people began to say: Prayer, prayer. A person from Banu Tamim came there. He neither slackened nor turned away, but (continued crying): Prayer, prayer. Ibn ‘Abbas said: May you be deprived of your mother, do you teach me Sunnah? And then he said: I saw the Messenger of Allah ( ‌صلی ‌اللہ ‌علیہ ‌وسلم ‌ ) combining the noon and afternoon prayers and the sunset and ‘Isha’ prayers. ‘Abdullah b. Shaqiq said: Some doubt was created in my mind about it. So I came to Abu Huraira and asked him (about it) and he testified his assertion.

• Sana

Member December 11, 2021 at 7:48 pm

I guess the tricky question is “What is hardship?” What is considered enough in the Sharia? For example: guests are coming to your house and as a host, you are physically able to pray Isha and Maghrib separately, but there is difficulty in doing so because you might make your dress clothes wet when doing wudhu, have to re-do your makeup and may be uncomfortable performing prayer in these clothes.

In this case, it is physically possible, but inconvenient. There is a reason for combining, but my question is, what makes a reason “valid”?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 11, 2021 at 8:36 pm

It varies from situation to situation and is for an individual to decide. Given the circumstances, an individual invariably knows when they face an undue hardship as opposed to making an excuse.

• Sana

Member December 11, 2021 at 8:58 pm

Apologies for asking for elaboration – I just want to clarify this concept because it is so important to me to get it right. Is there a difference between convenience and hardship?

In the example I gave (e.g., combining prayers when attending a wedding), there is inconvenience. “Hardship” feels like a strong word because it is physically possible to pray separately, just more difficult and inconvenient than usual. Does this capture the spirit of the Sharia? Or does combining only apply when it’s nearly impossible to pray separately?

I think this idea of combing to attend social events is something that comes up very frequently in our lives as Muslims. Technically it is possible to delay attending the event until Maghrib can be offered. Some may also say it’s one’s responsibility to schedule around prayer times (e.g., start the party after Maghrib). I am just struggling to define the right balance and would like your opinion on cases like these where it is: more difficult than usual, but not impossible to pray the prayers separately.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 11, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Even if social events are common, a general ruling still cannot be provided for such issues. One has to decide on their own considering the situation at hand because no two situations are alike.

Hopefully this narration attributed to Prophet Muhammad SAW will help.

• Sana

Member December 11, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Beautiful, thank you for sharing. Wisdom I can carry with me through life.

• Hammad Arshad

Member August 25, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Where in Quran stopped from combining Namaz?

• Ahsan

Moderator August 26, 2022 at 12:12 am

4:103

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register