Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Precaution When Using Hand Sanitizer

Tagged: 

• Precaution When Using Hand Sanitizer

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on December 9, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I understand that using hand sanitizer is fine, as Ghamidi Sahb indicated in one of his sessions with Hassan Ilyas Sahb. But my question is, if I use alcoholic hand sanitizer or alcohol wipes to clean either my hands or my possessions, do I have to wash my hands prior to eating? It’s inevitable that my fingers will touch my mouth, especially if I’m eating with flatbread, so in that case there may be minuscule amount of alcohol entering my mouth.

My own thoughts are that (1) my intention is not to consume alcohol, (2) the alcohol in these products serves no further purpose than cleaning and (3) my fingers could touch my mouth numerous times with probably no chance of intoxicating me. On this basis, I don’t feel that I need to wash my hands prior to eating.

Problem is that if I wipe my laptop with an alcohol wipe, for example, I’d have to wash my hands every few minutes just to ensure that I don’t accidentally touch my mouth and swallow alcohol. In similar questions, I know that I’ve been advised to spit out any forbidden product that accidentally enters my mouth, but in this case it seems very, very inconvenient to have to do that over and over again. Even more so because I have to frequent medical settings where using hand sanitizer and other alcohol-based products is the norm.

I’d really appreciate some insight!

JazakAllah

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Precaution When Using Hand Sanitizer

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 10, 2021 at 1:20 am

such minuscules are exempted on the principle that there is no hardship in religion. For example, water in the well can’t be 100 clean because it stays open and some filth like birds’ droppings may fall into it, but it is considered clean.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 11, 2021 at 4:56 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad. So would drinking water from the well be permissible even in the case that a person doesn’t boil the water? Leaving the impurities in the water?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 12, 2021 at 11:38 pm

of course

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register