Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Influence Of Environment And Judging Between Good And Evil

• Influence Of Environment And Judging Between Good And Evil

Posted by Abdullah AbdulRahman on December 11, 2021 at 8:17 am

Assalamualaikum

As Islam says that humans have free will and he has a sense of good and evil and he has a freedom in choosing good or evil.But even in choosing this good or evil are we free?Like we have influence of our environment also,like if i am in a bad company, I know evil and good but because of that environment i am in i am more inclined towards evil. So in that sense i am asking,do we have free will like we have much influence of environment.e.g if Ghamidi sahab wouldn’t be influenced of Amin Ahsan Islahi sahab,he might also be a traditional muqallad Muslim and wouldn’t challenge whole religious thought. So in that sense I am asking.This was answered by Maulana Amin Ahsan in “falsafay k bunyadi masail Quran ki roshni mein” on page 156,but couldn’t remove my confusion completely.

Umer replied 2 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Influence Of Environment And Judging Between Good And Evil

Umer updated 2 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member December 11, 2021 at 2:30 pm

And has Ghamidi sahab written or gonna write any book on his these philosophical thoughts he presents in like zawya e Ghamidi program.

And secondly does he agree with the interpretation of Amin Ahsan sahab in this philosophical problem or others in the above mentioned book of him?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 11, 2021 at 7:07 pm

We need to view these issues separately.

Regardless of our environment, as humans we inherently have the capability to differentiate between good and evil. Even the most evil person doesn’t like when the same evil is committed against his own self. For example, even a professional thief doesn’t like it when someone else steals from his house, and he considers the act to be evil.

Influence does indeed affect our tolerance for the evil, however, never to a point where can’t distinguish between good and evil.

We have also been granted free will and generally we are free to decide between good and evil. However, in certain instances, either due to circumstances or due to higher tolerance for evil, we commit bad deeds. In those cases we can expect some relaxation from God when He judges our case on the Day of Judgement.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member December 12, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Will that person with circumstances and tolerance for evil be provided with circumstances that give him opportunities to realise the evil and be able to listen to his conscience? Only then would it be fair or just

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 12, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Not necessarily. Justice is already served by the courts in this world keeping in mind any unusual circumstances of the accused. In the court of God the standard of justice will be even higher.

• Abdullah AbdulRahman

Member December 15, 2021 at 1:58 pm

But even that influence. Among gangsters even i know robbing is bad but i may rob because of my company.And if i am among good people like same in the previous conditions i can distinguish between good and evil but will not rob anyone because of good company. So as humans don’t have total free will,a part they have and a part they don’t have (like would someone be born rich or poor,black or white), so is this thing the influence (not the ability to distinguish between good and evil) but inclination because of environment, so is this being get influenced or inclined because of environment or company is not in our control?

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member December 15, 2021 at 2:39 pm

You r taking Allah’s knowledge similar to humans. But Allah is Al-Aleem

Bad company, genetics, environment, disease, upbringing, and many other factors affect what we do in given circumstances.

Allah know how and what circumstances for each of us. Allah also knows how much are those circumstances r due to our own doing and what was inevitable (born to abusive parents for example)

So Allah will judge based on all of the above and the ability of the person making a good / bad choice. Each of us will see reward or punishment to the exact amount of our own participation given the environment and circumstances

Say: “Everyone acts according to his own disposition: But your Lord knows best who it is that is best guided on the Way 17:84

If this is not the case then there’s no sense in resurrection and judgement. In other words, judgement by a being in afterlife who’s knowledge is as limited as humans is pointless and thus couldn’t happen and it is in contrast to Allah’s Omnipotence

• Umer

Moderator December 16, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Please also refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 52536 • Reply 58668

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register