Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Passing Gas In Prayer

Tagged: , ,

• Passing Gas In Prayer

Posted by Sana on December 12, 2021 at 10:03 pm

It is said that one should not abandon the salat until they are (i) certain they have passed gas or (ii) doubtful but have their doubts confirmed through smell or sound. Here is my conundrum: What if someone feels something around their rear, is unsure if gas has passed and detects no smell or sound? For example, going into rukoo one feels something. Logically according to this rule, they continue praying.

But what is this feeling? Isn’t the only option for this to be gas? Currently I operate by the rule “when you know you know 100% if you’ve passed gas – silent, nonoderous or otherwise”. But what is this feeling? I would feel a lot more comfortable with this ruling if I knew what that feeling was – if not passing wind.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 year, 10 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Passing Gas In Prayer

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 1 year, 10 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 12, 2021 at 11:48 pm

If one is unsure, one is not obliged to consider one’s wudu is expired.

• Shahabuddin Mohammed Abdul

Member December 13, 2021 at 3:42 am

I would like to know the basis for this ruling (that is when you pass gas it will nullify the wadu )is it directly related to prophets commend or it’s the ruling of the fiqh keeping in view of the inconvenience to the fellow human beings.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 15, 2021 at 12:38 am

it comes from Sunnah of the prophet, comes through the whole community of the Muslims through their perpetual practice.

• Tushar Dwivedi

Member December 15, 2021 at 12:53 am

Assalamualekum Sir, my question is that- Sunnah are the way of doing those practices that are mentioned in the Quran within a manner that was done by Prophets( a/c to my knowledge) . Even Prophets could not add or subtract anything from Quran.. When we consider any practice in the category of Sunnah then it is necessary that it should be mentioned in Quran… Because Quran directly says that O Prophet, We give guidance to you by this book and you give guidance to others by this book…. So, Now how can we consider passing gas as a nullifier of purity if Quran directly says about the nullifiers of purity in 4:43 ? May be, it is bidah that was added in religion..

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 11, 2022 at 9:34 am

It is not that way. From prophet we received two things. Quran and Sunnah. Quran some times mention a sunnah, but it never initiate it, it comes from Sunnah. All the established practices and rituals of Deen are Sunnah.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 6, 2022 at 7:55 pm

Is there any criteria that one should keep in mind to be certain of passing gas during prayer? For example, we find in the hadith that a sound or smell means gas has been passed? But I feel there can be cases where a person is absolutely sure that they’ve passed gas, even without smell or sound. At the same time, I feel that unless a hardline is drawn, it can become very confusing if gas has been passed or not.

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator January 6, 2022 at 10:40 pm

The criteria is the same that we have been discussing all along i.e. one needs to be certain about happening of that event.

In this particular scenario, sound and smell are two things which make it certain. But as you said “there can be cases where a person is absolutely sure that they’ve passed gas, even without smell or sound“, therefore, if a person is certain about it, then it should be considered as such even without sound or smell.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 7, 2022 at 1:35 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi, this makes sense. So if one doubts whether there is a smell or sound relating to passing gas, this would eliminate certainty too, correct? Like, if one thought they smelled gas but aren’t sure. Maybe it was imagination or the smell of something else.

• Umer

Moderator January 7, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Yes, correct.

• ashif ahmed

Member June 17, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Sometimes it happens that there is gas and it seems that it has passed but even if there is no surety, will the rule of certainty apply? Should we do wudu again only after we are absolutely sure, no matter what?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 17, 2022 at 11:28 pm

Rule of certainty will apply. One may choose to redo his wudu but may go without it. But if doubts are continual then one should ignore one’s doubts

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register