Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia What Are Nullifiers Of Prayer?

Tagged: ,

• What Are Nullifiers Of Prayer?

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on December 15, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Asalamualaikum,

Firstly, if prayer is something that bothers someone here, it may be a better idea not to read this description.

I’ve happened to come across various internet fatwas that have listed so many nullifiers of prayer to the point that I am unable to remember them all. Some of them include swallowing a morsel of solid food, coughing loudly without reason (not sure why someone would cough loudly without reason to begin with?), swallowing phlegm, clearing one’s throat loudly without reason (not sure why someone would clear their throat loudly without reason?) or making sounds of two letters (e.g., AE) unintentionally such as when groaning, kids jumping on one’s back, reading a piece of text, seven limbs not touching floor during prostration, etc. I’m really having a hard time figuring out how someone is supposed to focus on their prayer having to keep all of these points in mind.

For instance, if someone has a morsel of food in their mouth, I don’t really see the problem in them even intentionally swallowing this morsel, because it will likely improve their concentration in prayer, rather than them constantly being on the verge of breaking this prayer out of fear that they will swallow this morsel. Similarly, what exactly does unintentionally making the sound of two letters (e.g., AE) even signify? This in particular absolutely baffles me as a nullifier of prayer – it just does not make sense to me whatsoever. If I groan out of pain, this is not something that is under my control anyway – but how does this affect prayer in such a way that it is completely rendered invalid?

Please help me make sense of this! JazakAllah!

Umer replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • What Are Nullifiers Of Prayer?

Umer updated 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator December 16, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Its better that you ask about their details from those Fatwa sites since all these nullifiers are developed by Fiqh Scholars, they are in a better position to answer the basis for their conclusion. Stance of Ghamidi Sahab is very clear in this regard:

https://youtu.be/XRRWuilNTfE

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register