Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Wudu And Ghusl Where Body Is Covered With Lotion And Oil

Tagged: ,

• Wudu And Ghusl Where Body Is Covered With Lotion And Oil

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on December 20, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I have a few more questions on wudu and ghusl. In an audio recording, Hassan Ilyas Sahb said that only what is apparent needs to be covered by water during wudu and that reaching the pores of the skin is not necessary. Is it the same case for ghusl? In other words, if someone has nail polish or any other barrier, is their ghusl valid? Because in this case, I do believe that the goal is taharat, if I’m not wrong.

Also, I read somewhere that if someone applies oil or lotion/cream on themselves, they should rub the relevant part of the body during wudu/ghusl so that they are reached properly, removing doubt in this way. Is this necessary?

JazakAllah

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Wudu And Ghusl Where Body Is Covered With Lotion And Oil

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 12 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 21, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Same ruling is for Ghusal.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 22, 2021 at 12:01 am

However, it is better if nail polish is removed.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 22, 2021 at 1:26 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad! I know you already told me that lotion and oil do not stop water from reaching the skin. But I saw in a fatwaa that a scholar said you have to rub your body part if it has lotion or oil until you think water has penetrated into the skin. Do I need to do this? Because I think it can cause hardship. Based on your answer and Hassan Ilyas Sahab’s answer, it seems it is not necessary to rub body parts with lotion and oil. Is this correct? This is for ghusl and wudu.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 25, 2021 at 1:04 am

it is not necessary

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 25, 2021 at 6:57 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shehzad!

I would like to clarify the reason behind this, if you don’t mind. During wudu and ghusl, is it not mandatory to rub the body parts with lotion/oil because (1) water will reach the relevant body parts without rubbing (including pores of skin) or (2) because of Hassan Ilyas Sahab’s point about only having to wash what is apparent and not having to reach the pores of the skin with water?

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 29, 2021 at 12:16 am

Because there is no need.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 29, 2021 at 10:10 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad.

Sorry, I keep bothering you on this topic, but I just wanted to clarify this point. I’m still a bit confused.

You said that it is not necessary to remove nail polish, but it is better to do that. I’m assuming that this is because water will be able to reach under the nails in this way.

This is why I just want to clarify if it is better to rub the body parts with oil and lotion in order to make water reach these body parts. I know you said that it is not necessary, but I’m wondering if it is better to do that. Or is it that you are saying that water will reach these body parts even without rubbing, which is why rubbing body parts with oil and lotion is not necessarily recommended like removing nail polish is?

I’m very sorry to keep bothering you on this topic.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 31, 2021 at 5:15 am

In case of oil or lotion, there is no need to rub. they are not even water resistant, nor are they filth or dirt to remove.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 31, 2021 at 6:52 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shehzad for clarifying. It makes sense now!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member April 3, 2022 at 1:30 pm

Asalamualaikum Dr. Irfan Shehzad,

I noticed that some creams are thicker. When I wash myself during wudu or ghusl, some parts of the cream are still visible on me. In this case, are these creams considered water resistant, which would mean that I need to rub my skin in order to remove them? Or again, they will not prevent water from penetrating my skin and are not water resistant? Therefore, I do not need to rub.

JazakAllah!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member April 3, 2022 at 4:54 pm

For example, if there is a white cream, some chunks of that cream will be visible on my body in its original form even after I have washed myself without rubbing any body parts with the cream.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 4, 2022 at 12:32 am

They are not water resistant, and even they are, still it makes no difference, as you wash your body part and it is washed.

The discussion "Wudu And Ghusl Where Body Is Covered With Lotion And Oil" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now