Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia What Constitutes Beautifying The Hair?

Tagged: , ,

• What Constitutes Beautifying The Hair?

Posted by Rubab Wahab on December 21, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Hello, I’ve watched all of Sir Ghamidi’s videos on head covering. He says that if one is wearing jewelry or makeup or has “beautified” their hair, they should cover it. I’m confused as to what constitutes “beautifying the hair”. I don’t wear any jewelry or flashy clips or anything on my hair, only “scrunchies” such as in the picture to tie my hair. Is this considered beautifying? And do I have to cover my hair if I use these to tie my hair and nothing else? Thank you.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • What Constitutes Beautifying The Hair?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • Rubab Wahab

Member December 21, 2021 at 1:07 pm

To follow up, showing hair is normal in my culture. As in, it does come under that which is normally shown.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 22, 2021 at 1:05 am

This is what a person has to decide what beautifying is to be covered. by principle, such beautification as is extra normal or not causal, is meant to be covered.

• Rubab Wahab

Member December 22, 2021 at 1:25 am

And if I normally never cover my hair outside of prayer and it is common to show it in my culture, then would it be considered sinful not to cover my hair while wearing something like I’ve shown?

• اشهل صادق

Member December 22, 2021 at 8:17 am

السلام عليكم

What you have shown seems to be a common hair tie. I can’t think of any reason it would be considered an embellishment. So, no, it would not be considered sinful (in my point of view) especially if it is normal in your culture. To provide you with a more scholarly approach as to what is meant by الزينة, this is a passage from Zamakshari’s Al-Kashaf:

الزينة: ما تزينت به المرأة من حلىّ أو كحل أو خضاب، فما كان ظاهرا منها كالخاتم والفتخة(٢) والكحل والخضاب. فلا بأس بإبدائه للأجانب، وما خفى منها كالسوار والخلخال والدملج والقلادة والإكليل والوشاح والقرط، فلا تبديه إلا لهؤلاء المذكورين

He explains that الزينة is anything by which a woman embellishes herself from jewelry or Kohl (antimony used to darken the edges of eyelids) or dye. So, what is apparent is on the lines of rings, Kohl and dyes and what is hidden is on the lines of bracelets, anklets, armlets, necklaces, crowns, ornamented belts over the shoulder and earrings.

I hope this helps clarify what is meant by embellishment here. I don’t think a hair tie would fit in this list.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 25, 2021 at 12:55 am

covering embellishment is against men, not against God. In prayer, woman covers her hair as a manner, not as an obligation. the way Muslim man covers their head too.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register