Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Unethical Means Used In A University To Complete Research Projects

• Unethical Means Used In A University To Complete Research Projects

Posted by Fatimah on December 25, 2021 at 10:24 am

I need advice on this situation :

It’s very common almost in every sector in Pakistan, people like to get work done not the right way for a short cut. I am doing my master’s degree and there are certain facilities not available in my institution for that we need help from industry. Normally, universities collaborate with industries on research but what I am seeing a common practice in my institute to get things done through personal contacts without letting know the authorities of Industry. I am going to ask my supervisors to not to do this on my research but if they do this anyway, (which I think is a ‘chori’) do I also share this sin? I want to stay away gunah e kabeera but I don’t know what to do here. Some materials have already been taken from the industry inventory (without their permissions) and I am using this material. Please advice me on this.

JazakAllah

Fatimah replied 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Unethical Means Used In A University To Complete Research Projects

Fatimah updated 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • Fatimah

Member December 28, 2021 at 8:13 am

Waiting on response

• Nadeem Minhas

Member December 28, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I am a student of religion. First, I want to clarify that this is not Kabeera Gunah. Those are just very few.

I know in a research or Thesis you can consult your professor and select a topic that both agree on. Why not select a topic of research for which information is available or you feel confident that you can collect such info.

• Fatimah

Member December 29, 2021 at 11:45 am

In one of the al Bayan lectures of surah AL araf, ghamidi sahab explained it in dars e hadees that one of the major sin mentioned in Quran is chori. I will share the link.

• Umer

Moderator December 28, 2021 at 4:34 pm

Firstly, you’re working on a genuine project which has no ethical qualms.

Secondly, you had already raised your voice to not use any unethical means in procuring the materials for your research. That means you did your job that was within your domain because the final decision rests with your supervisors how they procure such material. And how they do that has no bearing on your deeds, since you’d already played your role by raising concern for unfair means.

Thirdly, you cannot stay blind to the harsh realities that are at work on ground i.e. most of the genuine work at times is done through personal contacts or through speed money in Pakistan. Therefore, if you’ve to pay ‘speed money‘ just to get your genuine work done or use personal contacts for your genuine work, it cannot be categorized as unfair or unethical.

I hope Dr. Irfan Sahab (@Irfan76 ) will shed further light on the matter.

• Fatimah

Member December 29, 2021 at 11:53 am

I haven’t raised my voice yet because it hasn’t happened yet but they material that has already been procured were taken from industry and I was also involved but I was unaware of the process or I would I was ignorant that this is chori. I did tell the middle man that this is unethical and he replied with ‘then ask your supervisor to pay lacs for this compound’. I stayed quiet here, because this practice has been very common and even if the institute can afford they will first try to get the material for free. I hope I haven’t done anything wrong because as soon I realized this is against the teachings of Islam, I stopped contacting the middle man as sometimes students themselves have to arrange for research.

So we haven’t paid any speed money but used personal contacts to get the material from industry inventory.and I know this is totally wrong

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 28, 2021 at 9:33 pm

I think that Umer sahib has well judged and responded to your question. You need not to worry about it, since you have shown your disapproval of the practice. This is what is called in a Hadith that you tried to stop a Munkar with your tongue. If there’s something that you have no authority on, you will not be answerable for it.

• Fatimah

Member December 29, 2021 at 11:54 am

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register