Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Clarifications On Forbidden Times For Prayer

Tagged: ,

• Clarifications On Forbidden Times For Prayer

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on December 30, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Asalamualaikum,

Based on the original thread on forbidden times for prayer, as well as my discussion with an Al Mawrid scholar, I understand that Fard prayers cannot take place during the forbidden times for prayer – sunrise and sunset. However, I am left with a few questions, especially with regards to what Ghamidi Sahab has written in Mizan.

The questions are:

1.) In general, what exactly is the time span before, during and/or after sunrise and sunset that I cannot pray Fard, as well as any other prayers?

2.) In Mizan, Ghamidi Sahab explains that “(t)he time of sunset is maghrib“, and that “the time of asr remains till maghrib“. He also mentions that “the time of fajr remains till sunrise” (Mizan English Translation, Page 290). Furthermore, Ghamidi Sahab makes reference to a narrative about which he writes that according to the Prophet (PBUH), “a person who offers one rak’at of fajr before sunrise and one ra’kat of ‘asr before sunset, he should rest assured that these prayers have been offered on time” (Mizan English Translation, Page 291). This narrative is used in support of his point that the prayer is completed if one rak’at has been offered before its end time.

Based on these points, where then do the prohibited times to pray during sunrise and sunset slot themselves? I am especially confused because the Al Mawrid scholar who helped me understand this concept explained that 5 minutes before and after sunrise and sunset should be avoided as times to perform prayer. However, the narrative which Ghamidi Sahab references seems to be in contradiction to this view. Furthermore, the prayer timings that Ghamidi Sahab has listed in Mizan don’t seem to take account of any forbidden times to pray the Fard prayers.

I’m sure I am mixing up or misinterpreting the information I’ve looked over, so please help me to understand. For instance, Ghamidi Sahab does make mention that the Prophet (PBUH) “is reported to have said that after the fajr prayer no one should pray until sunrise and after the ‘asr prayer no one should pray until sunset(Mizan English Translation, Page 291). Maybe I’m unable to understand this point specifically.

JazakAllah!

Haseeb Faisal replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Clarifications On Forbidden Times For Prayer

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 31, 2021 at 5:40 am

The one, who has offered prayer of Fajr and Asr, are asked not to say another prayer after them, but the one who could not offer prayer, can offer if till the last minutes, even if, he could find time of one rakat in time and the rest after it. This shows how Shariah behaves, it is the shariah of convenience.

Now what are exactly the times for sunset and sunrise? they are well recorded in the calendars of times. and can avoid say praying on that times only. we suggest to wait five minutes before and after sunrise and sunset to avoid any confusion.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 31, 2021 at 1:48 pm

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad, this definitely makes everything a lot more clear.

I just want to clarify a point about the following narrative:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The time for ‘Asr lasts until the sun turns yellow.” (Narrated by Muslim, 612).

Is this narrative in reference to the five minutes period before sunset that you suggest we avoid praying? Or is this narrative referring to something else?

• Humayoon Rashdi

Member January 20, 2022 at 8:49 am

Hi Haseeb,

The word Asr is basically one of the times periods of a day and not essentially the time of namaz. The narrative you mentioned would simply mean the asr time continues till sun turns yellow.

The subject of this narrative seems not be namaz but the time period which can also be thought of as a pretty secular term for example in english we say high noon.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The time for ‘Asr lasts until the sun turns yellow.” (Narrated by Muslim, 612).

It does not contradict the rule that asr can be offered till sunset and not during sunset. So you are.good to go!

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 23, 2022 at 6:47 am

JazakAllah Mr. Humayoon,

But I believe that the sun begins to turn yellow several minutes before sunset. I’ve seen someone say twenty minutes prior to sunset, and another person say 45 minutes prior to sunset. It is referred to as the golden hour, although I do not believe that it lasts an entire hour.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 19, 2022 at 9:08 pm

But Dr. Irfan Shahzad, every calendar seems to have slightly different times for sunrise and sunset. Some will say 7:46 AM and others will say 7:42 AM. How do I know which one to go off of?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 2, 2022 at 5:24 am

Need to see the actual words. It might be about the undesirale time

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 2, 2022 at 5:16 pm

Asalamualaikum Dr. Irfan Shahzad,

I believe this is the narrative:

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو غَسَّانَ الْمِسْمَعِيُّ، وَمُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى، قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا مُعَاذٌ، – وَهُوَ ابْنُ هِشَامٍ – حَدَّثَنِي أَبِي، عَنْ قَتَادَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي أَيُّوبَ، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو، أَنَّ نَبِيَّ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ “‏ إِذَا صَلَّيْتُمُ الْفَجْرَ فَإِنَّهُ وَقْتٌ إِلَى أَنْ يَطْلُعَ قَرْنُ الشَّمْسِ الأَوَّلُ ثُمَّ إِذَا صَلَّيْتُمُ الظُّهْرَ فَإِنَّهُ وَقْتٌ إِلَى أَنْ يَحْضُرَ الْعَصْرُ فَإِذَا صَلَّيْتُمُ الْعَصْرَ فَإِنَّهُ وَقْتٌ إِلَى أَنْ تَصْفَرَّ الشَّمْسُ فَإِذَا صَلَّيْتُمُ الْمَغْرِبَ فَإِنَّهُ وَقْتٌ إِلَى أَنْ يَسْقُطَ الشَّفَقُ فَإِذَا صَلَّيْتُمُ الْعِشَاءَ فَإِنَّهُ وَقْتٌ إِلَى نِصْفِ اللَّيْلِ ‏”‏ ‏.‏

It was narrated from ‘Abdullah bin ‘Amr that the Prophet (ﷺ) said: “When you pray Fajr, its time is until the first part of the sun appears. When you pray Zuhr, its time is until ‘Asr comes. When you pray ‘Asr, its time is until the sun turns yellow. When you pray Maghrib, its time is until the twilight has disappeared. When you pray ‘Isha, its time is until half of the night has passed.”

Sahih Muslim 612a

https://sunnah.com/muslim:612a

I read somewhere that this period is around 45 minutes long, which is why I’m confused if it is the same as the five minute precautionary period that you mentioned before sunset? In case they are the same, is there any reason why there is such a big discrepancy between the two times? And can I stick to the five minute period due to convenience . . . 45 minutes is quite a long time to avoid for prayer, especially with school and other commitments.

JazakAllah

• Ali

Member January 19, 2022 at 11:38 pm

Salam, sorry for bugging you again (Im not a moderator just a member like you) , I just checked the salafi website
    https://islamqa.info/en/answers/20013/making-up-prayers-at-times-when-prayer-is-disallowed

It appears they too believe that forbidden times are for nawafil, as for fard, it appears they believe they can be prayed even forbidden times. As I understand (pls correct me if I am wrong) if one delays farz namaz by mistake etc, then one should pray as soon as possible rather than “achaa abhi toh forbidden time hai, abhi rok tah hon”.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 20, 2022 at 2:56 am

you are right. forbidden times are for nawafil.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 20, 2022 at 3:00 am

you can adopt time of 45 min or the shorter one, according to the argument given. For convenience, you have other options: to combine the prayers.

Some says that the twilight is the one that is disappears soon after the sunset, and other say, that it is the reddish twilight which stays for long. We go with the second opinion. this is the practice as well.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 20, 2022 at 6:54 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad. Do you mind clarifying what the reddish twilight is referring to? I am kind of confused. Is it the maghrib time or the time at which prayer cannot be read?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 20, 2022 at 11:48 pm

We Urban people are not good at watching the twilight and recording its time. Moreover, these timings are well recorded we need not to reinvent the wheel. See the timing of Isha and Ishraq on solar calendar of timing and follow it.

• Ali

Member January 19, 2022 at 11:42 pm

It appears to me that [Prophet (PBUH) “is reported to have said that after the fajr prayer no one should pray until sunrise and after the ‘asr prayer no one should pray until sunset” (Mizan English Translation, Page 291).] this is referring to correct times of fajr and asr. I mean times after which it could be considered what some people call “qaza”.
    Rather than the “Times when it is forbidden to offer any voluntary prayer”

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register