Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Details Of Law Of Zakat On Salary And On Assets

Tagged: 

• Details Of Law Of Zakat On Salary And On Assets

Posted by Ahmad Jamal on January 7, 2022 at 11:53 am

Assalamoalekum

I have read Ghamidi Sahib view on paying Zakah and I am now feeling confused if I had done right things in my life so far.

The traditional view is that you work out Zakah once a year even if you are a salaried person and have some savings as assets.

I hope you can clarify as I narrate my life story to seek help and establish if I should have paid Zakah and if yes how much and when.

My question i that in a person’s life, when is the first time a person becomes Sahib e Nisab?

Please consider my situation:

I used to live with my parents till I grew up, completed my masters. Till then I did not have enough of my own to become Sahib e Nisab.

I then got a job and started working as an employeed person.

Did I become Sahib e Nisab on the day I got my job or my first salary?

As per Ghamidhi Sahib view, I should have paid Zakah on my salary each month. But I recall my salary remained lower than the Nisab level. So I did not pay Zakah. Did I do the right thing? I paid all the taxes though because the employer would deduct taxes at source.

How much salary a person needs to earn per month to pay Zakah? Is it the same amount as value of seven and half tolas of gold?

Should I also have considered paying Zakah on my assets each year in addition to paying Zakah on my salary? How would I have known the date for yearly payment of Zakah on assets? How much assets I needed to have each year to pay Zakah?

Does a person need to pay Zakah on salary income each month and then also pay Zakah on assets each year? It sounds a bit confusing to me.

I am now earning a good salary but I am not sure how much salary I need to earn each month before I pay Zakah on my salary (as production)? When do I need to pay this Zakah on salary as production. My employer still deducts taxes at source from my salary. I am high rate tax payer and as per UK rules the company deducts 40% from my salary each month.

I also remain unsure about how to figure out a date for paying yearly Zakah on assets. I do not have any agricultural or animal stock.

I am sorry for this long narrative. I hope you can assist. Many thanks indeed. Jazakallah Khairan

Umer replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register