Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Refraining From Fasting Due To Work

• Refraining From Fasting Due To Work

Posted by Sana on January 8, 2022 at 11:31 am

I have read that those who have a strenous job may refrain from fasting in Ramadan and make up the days in other months. However, they must make the intention to fast and break the fast if needed.

Where does the ruling about the intention to fast come from? In my mind, it is more dangerous to start fasting, because one may be tempted to continue even if they start to feel unwell (because this is so subjective and hard to measure). For context, I ask this as a doctor. Depending on the service, fasting may pose a risk to concentration of the doctors and jeapordize the health of patients. In these cases, it is difficult to know “when to stop”.

Saiyed juned Alimiya replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Refraining From Fasting Due To Work

• Umer

Moderator January 9, 2022 at 12:28 am

As a principle, the relaxation in case of ibadah is based on the principle of usar (‘ghair mamoli mushaqqat‘) and for other prohibitions (‘mohramat‘), the relaxation is based on ‘iztirar‘ (becoming impossible to do or when it becomes a matter of life and death).

Please see for details:

Discussion 50637 • Reply 50647

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab in the context of fasting, please refer to the following video:

Please refer from 24:44 to 26:59 and from 37:31 to 46:19

• Umer

Moderator January 9, 2022 at 12:33 am

Please also refer to the video below from 12:21 to 16:17

https://youtu.be/fG520W99Vc4?t=741

• Sana

Member January 9, 2022 at 11:49 am

I appreciate the links and listened to all the answers, but my question still has not been answered. Do people working in these jobs have to make the intention to fast and only break it when they face the hardship at work? Most scholars say this, but I don’t understand why. I know I get lightheaded during Ramadan which affects my ability to focus on treating patients.

Do I have to begin fasting and only break my fast when I get lightheaded?

• Umer

Moderator January 10, 2022 at 12:51 am

No, you don’t have to begin your fast if you feel genuine hardship in keeping up with it.

The requirement you quoted above is in accodance with Hanafi Fiqh, but in accordance with Quran, no such requirement has been deemed necessary by Allah.

• Umer

Moderator April 12, 2022 at 6:44 am

Please also refer to the video below from 12:21 to 16:17

https://youtu.be/fG520W99Vc4?t=741

• Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member May 30, 2022 at 6:32 am

MMera question ye he ki jo log serious illness ki vajase life time roza rakh nahi sakte uski dalil quran ki konsi aayat se samje, yaha is aayat me naasikh mansukh ki kuch baat, albyaan me hui he, jo tradional tafseer se differ he??

• Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member May 30, 2022 at 6:38 am

According to al bayaan, fidiye ka hukum mansukh ho chuka he, jo pehle bimaar & musafaro se related tha

• Umer

Moderator May 30, 2022 at 9:40 pm

Ji asal hukam yahi hai kai roza poora kiya jayega baad main.

Pehlay jo Fidya ka hukam bayan hua thaa Ayat 184 main, usko ayat 185 main mansukh kardiya gaya.

Laikin agar kisi ko aisa ‘usar’ lahaq hojaye jis main beemari permanent noiyat ka hoo, us par Quran hi ki ayat 184 ki roshni main ulema nai ijtihad kiya hai kai aisi soorat main jo neechli soorat ayat 184 main bayan hue hai fidya waali, usi par amal kar kai fidya ada karna chaiyai.

• Saiyed juned Alimiya

Member May 30, 2022 at 10:28 pm

Ji 100 time jazakomullah

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register