Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Categorization Of Fawahish

Tagged: ,

• Categorization Of Fawahish

Posted by Mohammed Zubair Alam on January 9, 2022 at 2:48 am

The question I have is on the whole matter of Fawaish and how to determine wheather anything is prohibited or not according to the FAWAISH category.

Which I’ve understood is anything related to sexual matter is FAWAISH example:- sexual talks, revealing cloths, lustful actions, and lastly the greatest sin Zina fall in this category.

Now by taking this discussion into a more deeper level , how the application of fawaish will act in Arts and literature.

If We prohibit anything the reasoning always play a great role.

1)If we talk about Sculptures,paintings, statues then there are many panitings, sculptures, statues which shows obscenity but the reasoning behind this obscenity is something else.

Some painting, sculptures, archeitectures shows how a particular place, situation, or anything was used to be by using fictional characters. Example :- Ancient greek art, acient Indian art and so on.

This neither promote obscenity in a society nor provoke anyone in a sexual way. The reasoning behind these painting, sculptures is to show fine , classical , or historical arts.

2)Similarly If a poet or an author use obscenity in their poeteic works or novels then what’s harm in this. Novels itself mean fictional stories. Not only we enjoy reading novels but we also got to know so many new things ,words , metaphors and many things. And for the students of arts and literature it’s a great thing. If we talk about purification of thoughts then also it will depend from person to person. A daily and mature reader won’t be affected and only a daily reader reads. And also these are fictional. Yes one can desire such things but I think there is no wrong if a muslim desire these from his/her spouse. And the one who is not married obviously he/she will wait until he/she get married. And yes if it affects one he/she will avoid or skip that part similarly like a person should avoid shaking hands or talking with na mehram if the touch or talks affect them.

3)Same with music. If a lyrics contains anything sexual in a direct way obviously one can use it for his/her spouse.

But their are many music with lyrics containing intimacy but in a metaphorical way. Such songs are also being sung by Aatif aslam, rahat fateh ali khan,mohammad rafi and many other muslim singers. We also enjoy these songs in public .

4)If we talk about movies, it is acceptable that one should avoid watching cause watching something and reading, listening have a vast difference . We feel it more, believe it more when we look or watch something. But labelling haram is wrong as I understood. Yes one can say it to avoid on the basis of preventive measure. I mean we can watch good movies but what we have to do is to ignore or avoid wrong acts, or words. But sometimes there are some scenes which automatically brings smile, tears on the face of audience. Example:- After a lot of hardships a couple come together and they hugged or kissed each other. Sometimes over a victory or someitmes a good bye. Neither the intent of such scenes is to make someone Turned on nor we feel. Also when we watch a movie we watch it from the perspective of a character.

I mean if a movie showing a muslim character drinking alcohol obviously we muslim won’t like it but if it shows a non muslim playing the character it won’t affect us.

We can take the good things and forbid the evil. If a movie shows in way where most of the character cheats in a relationship but there is one character who don’t. So we appreciate that character. It doesn’t matter he becomes physical with her or not before marriage but what we appreaciate is loyalty by juding and observing the situation of a movie and knowledge of a character. Similarly if a movie shows where everyone is in a physical relationship before marriage but one chracter says after marriage he will become physical. In this case we can also appreciate him .

So Yeah all these which I’ve mentioned should be categorized as haram on the basis of FAWAISH or will fall in Preventive measure which depends from person to person.

Sorry for making it too long but It was important for me to ask so I did.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Categorization Of Fawahish

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 13, 2022 at 5:55 am

it depends upon the aesthetics, cultural norms and personal judgement to decide in such cases that a things falls in the category of Fohash or not. Therefore, there occur debates sometimes a piece of art or literature is fohush or not. Human intellect is clever enough to provide any excuse, reason or philosophy to justify any act. but at the end, it is but our nature and honesty which give the verdict.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register