Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of Sayyab Used In Quran (ثیاب )

Tagged: , , ,

• Meaning Of Sayyab Used In Quran (ثیاب )

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 13, 2022 at 12:58 pm

That’s about right. Meaning of words change in their context so it’s important to always quote the chapter and verse number you might be referring to.

I assume that you’re asking about this word in the context of Quran 11:5. Following is the translation of this verse:

Quran 11:5

Translation by Dr. Shehzad Saleem

Do you observe them; they turn away their chests to hide from God. Beware! When they cover themselves with sheets [for this purpose, even then they are before His eyes].He knows what they conceal and what they reveal. He is even aware of the secrets in the hearts.There is not a single living being on earth whose sustenance is not the responsibility of God. And He knows his dwelling and also the place where he will be consigned [to the earth after death]. All this is written in an open Book.

• Mumin Ahmad

Member January 13, 2022 at 1:00 pm

I was asking about the general meaning as I wasn’t aware that the meaning of this word changes depending on the context

Anyhow, the verse I want to ask about was Surah An-Nur 60.

Thank you

• Mumin Ahmad

Member January 17, 2022 at 9:36 am

???

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 18, 2022 at 5:21 am

The use of the word there, is self explanatory, it is to cover the Zeenat. the extra cloth, or shawl etc to cover the adornment done on body and dress.

• Mumin Ahmad

Member January 22, 2022 at 9:24 am

Thank you for responding sir

According to this verse, old women can dispense with this cloth under the condition that they don’t do tabarruj (of zeenah).

My question is that , since the verse only allows them to remove the siyaab, which Ghamidi Sahab connects with the khimaar verse, so does it mean that they are allowed to remove only the cloth that’s used to hide the adornments of the chest(khimaar over their bosoms) ,or clothes used to hide the adornments of any part of the body?

• Mumin Ahmad

Member January 23, 2022 at 6:54 am

??

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 24, 2022 at 2:24 am

It can include other parts of body too.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register