Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Is It Permissible To Build A Temple In A Muslim State?

• Is It Permissible To Build A Temple In A Muslim State?

Posted by Beenish Hussain on July 14, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Please listen to this: https://youtu.be/ma9DQ0ByIjw

While all scholars unanimously agree that it is wrong to build temple with Muslim TAX money,

Ghamdi sb says it’s ok.

https://youtu.be/eNldLBKDxI0

However, I have not heard any sources quoted by Ghamdi sb. Please note this is a temple and not Ahl e kitaab worship place.

Can you please answer this question from Ghamdi sb view but in light of 1) Quran/Sunnah and 2) respond to the verse being quoted in support of being against it as well.

Thanks

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • Is It Permissible To Build A Temple In A Muslim State?

Rafia Khawaja updated 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 31 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator July 15, 2020 at 3:03 am

Ghamidi sahab has further elaborated his point of view in the video below, if you haven’t already watched it, then please do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TgvlTEv9U

• Umer

Moderator July 15, 2020 at 3:06 am

For further understanding of Ghamidi Sahab’s point of view, please refer to the thread below:

Discussion 1597

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 5:34 am

Can verse 5:2 be applied here for prohibiting the case of supporting/donating money for the cause of polytheism (temple/idol worship) ? @AhmadShoaib

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 8:50 am

This is not to do with a nation state rather a personal capacity I believe

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 8:52 am

At the end of the day, Pakistan aims to be running on Islamic principles only.. and all the taxpayers are paying/donating the money for it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 8:53 am

Please research Ghamidi sahabs opinion on this nation state topic

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 8:55 am

What is Prophet’s opinion on Muslims establishing nation states which don’t run on Islamic principles ?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:07 am

Actually if Prophet indeed said some rulings on nation state concept, and how a muslim government should behave for its polytheistic citizens in a nation state, that can work as a good model..

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:13 am

Haven’t done much research on permissibility of nation state and the ideal state. But the prophet’s ‎﴾ﷺ﴿ state was run on itmaam e hujjat concept.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:13 am

But according to the nation state concept building a temple by the secular government should be allowed

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:15 am

If Islam doesn’t have the concept of nation state, what is the point of bringing the rules of a nation state in this discussion ? Let’s discuss the Islamic view on any muslim government allowing / donating/ building a polytheistic worship place.

• Umer

Moderator August 6, 2020 at 10:22 am

There are two type Islamic Injunctions mentioned in Quran.

One which addresses an individual Muslim in his/her capacity as a Muslim

Second one addresses the society of Muslims as a whole.

So whenever a Muslim Society gets a majority, it is obvious they will apply those injunctions through ‘Amru-hum shoora Bainhaum’ Principle. There is no need to give a separate concept of Nation State anywhere. As a principle, all dealings and undertakings with Non-Muslims will be done in accordance with the mutual agreement reached and it will be followed as such.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:31 am

What is Prophet or Allah’s directive for a Muslim society to help/assist/donate in building places of idol worship ? Please mention it in light of the verse 5:2

• Umer

Moderator August 6, 2020 at 10:47 am

The verse is very clear in its context and its application. It has nothing to do with building temples etc.

For details you can refer to the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzC2c9r5I54

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:50 am

I think Zakir Naik used the verse to give judgment that Allah prohibited assistance in building temple. I think brother Ahmad is also of the same view. He can explain his pov.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 10:53 am

But brother Umer I think the directive to not sir in impiety is general- if not mentioned in Quran reason leads us to believe so

• Umer

Moderator August 6, 2020 at 11:18 am

“Believers! Do not violate the shaair of God, or the sacred months, or the animals of hadī or [specifically those among them] who are marked with collars of vow or those people who have set out for the House to seek God’s grace and pleasure. Once you take off your ihram you are free to hunt. Some people had stopped you from coming to the Sacred House. Your animosity against them should not incite you so much that you cross the limits of the Almighty. [No, abide by these limits come what may] and help one another in what is virtuous and pious and not in what is sinful and oppressive. And have fear of God because God is stern in retribution.” (5:2)

So you’re telling me that first God is talking about not to perform the same kind of oppression / persecution on your enemies, despite the fact they did it and later negating it by saying don’t let them pray or kick them out or to not let them build temples etc etc. because it is impious?

In all honesty, this verse is saying the opposite.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 11:23 am

Not talking about kicking the polytheists out , but mainly about not assisting/donating money for them to perform idol worship..

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Ok bhai even if this verse isn’t to be used with its context.

I still think it is sinful for a Muslim to eg build a temple. The same way it is reward to build a masjid because of what goes on in there. If it is being built by the people of that faith it is their right. The government I don’t think should help any faith build masjid as a government of a nation state. All faiths should bring their proposals. The government shouldn’t take charge in these things as to favour one faith over another.

When it comes to me as a Muslim. I will not donate to a nightclub because it goes against my principles. Even if they have a right to build this institution. I will similarly not donate to a temple because it also goes against my principles.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 1:26 am

When it comes to me as a Muslim. I will not donate to a nightclub because it goes against my principles. Even if they have a right to build this institution. I will similarly not donate to a temple because it also goes against my principles.”

Does this principle apply to all the muslims or you as an individual alone have this principle ? What does Qur’an and Sunnah say on this matter about donating money to a nightclub ?

• Umer

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 11:24 am

I agree with you, I am not dismissing your point. Given an independent choice, I would also prefer to not donate to a temple on the same principle as I would not donate for construction of a mosque representing a particular Muslim sect (whose beliefs are polytheistic according to me). But there can be socioeconomic circumstances where it would be suitable to even donate for that temple or that mosque. Take for example, any persecuted community (Hindu or any Muslim Sect) and you want to help them revive their freedom and to improve the social environment; in that case, I would prefer to donate my money for that construction. Therefore, you cannot just declare something Haram without any strong basis for it.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 11:42 am

So, we conclude that though as a person, you are well within your individual rights to refuse donating money to temples, but it is not prohibited in Islam to donate money to temples..

As Allah has prohibited making something prohibited which he himself has not, does it mean the act of calling donation to temple as haraam, is actually haraam ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 6, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Pakistan is a Muslim State where every person is allowed by law to practice his own religion. We have built mosques in Europe, USA so why would the Hindus not be allowed to have a temple where they can practice their faith?. We pray in mosques all over the world. I think it is ok to have a temple in Islamabad.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 8:43 pm

It depends on whether allowing the sin of polytheism in the name of practicing their faith is permitted. Hypothetically, suppose some faith believes in the alcohol being served , did Prophet or the 4 RGCs allow the alcohol for non-Muslims in their rule ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 6, 2020 at 4:42 pm

The money for building the temple has to be collected by the Hindus themselves. Many of the mosques made in the western world have been made by the donations of the Muslims residing in these countries.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 6, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Do you think it is permissible for Muslims to donate money to build the temple ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 7, 2020 at 9:20 am

I don’t think so. Hindus would not donate money to build a build a mosque neither would Christians or Jews. Who ever wants to build a temple or mosque or synagogue should collect donations from the people of their own faith

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 9:36 am

That’s fine, they should collect money from their own faith.. however my question is :

Are the Muslims who are donating money for the temple, committing any sin ? Is it prohibited in Islam to donate money for idol worship temples ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 7, 2020 at 9:58 am

Are there Muslims donating money for building the temple?

I personally would not because idol worshipping is against my faith. If the State gives them the land it is ok

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 10:07 am

There are many examples of Muslims donating money for temples in India.

I respect your choice of personally not donating money to temple, it is perfectly fine. However, I asked if it is Islamically prohibited .

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 7, 2020 at 1:52 pm

I do not know. A scholar would have to answer this

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register