Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions Aashirwad Or Blessing In Indian Culture

• Aashirwad Or Blessing In Indian Culture

Posted by Sameer Namole on January 19, 2022 at 1:26 am

In our Indian culture there’s a thing called ‘Ashirwad lena’.

It’s a custom that younger people touch the feet of elders to then elders give blessings and wishes to them.

It’s like showing gratitude and love towards one’s parents or elders.

Is it permissible ?

Because I’ve heard from some people that it’s not permissible as they think it’s like a worshipping or shirk like that.

Umer replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Aashirwad Or Blessing In Indian Culture

Umer updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 20, 2022 at 3:33 am

Muslims are forbidden to bow down before someone. We adopt other ways to show our respect.

• Humayoon Rashdi

Member January 20, 2022 at 10:01 am

Dr. can you tell me why you think like that?

Because I was thinking ashirwad is just a gesture and not them “worshipping” their elders. While touching their fret, do they think they are worshipping their creator while doing it?

If no then why would it even BE a subject of deen, for begin with, for it to then further go ahead and permit or forbid? It?

Many thanks!

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 20, 2022 at 11:34 pm

the act of Prostrating and bowing down are exclusive, they cannot be performed even if one has a different intention.

• Humayoon Rashdi

Member January 21, 2022 at 4:45 am

The last phrase makes me hesitant to agree. From what I have read in the Quran, people were punished based on what they thought INSIDE of them, which included the most silent of their “intentions”. Allah does not disregard intentions. However, this understanding of mine can be superceded by a “rule” stated somewhere, that you referred to in last message.

• Ali

Member January 22, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Is kissing hand or kissing forehead okay.

How do you see hazrat yusuf and the sajda tazeem (Ghamidi sahab in albayan surah yusuf ayat 100 says sajdah sai murad rukoo kee tarah johkna) , could it be said this act is haram for ummat e muhamad s.a.w exclusively, and that too because one may start from sajdah tazeem, but over generations end up giving people status of God?
    It appears from albayan that ghamidi sahab says real sajda is haram….so does he mean jhokna is makrooh, even in pakistan some people lower there head in front of elders, and then elders place there hand over the hand of the child.
    How do you see japanese bow?
    If it was allowed over there (the era of hazrat yusuf then is it allowed in our era too?

• Ali

Member January 22, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Forgot to say Salam btw.

Issues are
    1-People want to respect there parents and show them love
    2-Some people love their culture so they dont want to leave it
    3-wanting to be considerate to people eg:if the way they greet their custom; is to slightly bow,so not bowing could be seen as disrespectful
    1-2-3 Conflicts with
    4-I dont want to respect any one as much as I respect Allah, it seems the most unfair thing to do. I mean putting someone on pedastal and equating them with God.
    5-Dont want to defy rulings of Islam

Q1)It appears Salafi Arabs in general, they consider standing up for people as shirk…or shirkiyya(yanee near shirk) and they dislike doing it.
    I’ve read this as well https://islamqa.info/en/answers/34497/ruling-on-standing-up-for-who-comes-in-and-kissing-him
    But I found this https://www.abuaminaelias.com/dailyhadithonline/2018/06/28/prophet-love-honor-fatimah/
    https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi:3872
    and this
    https://www.abuaminaelias.com/dailyhadithonline/2011/03/30/prophet-stands-funeral-yahud/
    https://sunnah.com/bukhari:1312
    It appears prophet disliked for people to honor him and give him excessive respect but he himself might have stoodup for others.
    So how do you see standing up for people etc, am I right in your opinion (in the light of sources of course)

Q2)Hope you can address issue of slightly bowing or moving head down but not prostrating. How do you see it, would deen like it if we respect elders like this or do a slight bow(for elders or if one meets people who bow to greet lets say a japanese) or is it at least allowed?
    (a)Salafi islamqainfo https://islamqa.info/en/answers/229780/does-prostrating-or-bowing-by-way-of-greeting-come-under-the-heading-of-shirk
    doesnt see it as disbelief but as sin. However the evidence he presents is about people prostrating prophet. The prophet being a humble person, and as I understand silk and gold are disliked so obviously it would have been seen as arrogance if prophet allowed people to prostrate or bow down to him. He claims that this bowing was allowed until hazrat eesa then forbidden.(he refers to ibn kathir tafsir to make that point)
    (b)Here is link how DrKhalid describes interaction of hazrat yusuf (king or prime minister of Egypt) vs his parents including the word Sajdah.
    video from 15:40 to 20:58
    https://youtu.be/a2S0C7I75jI?list=PL31OtbFigw0ndiLPa5msQyfPTO_S3tQ1W&t=940

How do you see the bowing in light of the verse. I saw a clip of drshehzad saleem’s clip on times when prayers are forbidden. It seems that as a sadde zariya, so that muslims of later generations with passage of time dont distort religion and start worshipping sun; we are told not to do sajdah in those times. So could bowing being haram be a saddee zariya of this type, given that ghamidi sahab believe in different shariat for different prophets so this could be a scenario?
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    I would like to hear how ghamidi sahab sees all that I mentioned…but not feeling comfortable to speak live. If anyone else feels like doing a favour and is willing to narrate my thoughts that I mentioned in this reply, I would be grateful.

• Ali

Member January 22, 2022 at 11:42 pm

edit (made a typo in above reply on the line right above dashed line):*given that ghamidi sahab doesnt believe that shariat differs for each prophet.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 24, 2022 at 2:36 am

Ghamidi sahbi writes in Al Bayan while commenting on Sajda of the brothers and parents of Yusuf AS.

“Prostration here does not refer to the one which is done before God; it refers to bending down in the form of kneeling. Showing respect for elders in this manner is a very ancient tradition. In Arabic, the word سَجَدَ is commonly used in this meaning. It is specified by the Bible and the Talmud that the ceremonial prostration was also prohibited in the sharī‘ah of the Israelites the way it is in ours.”

So bowing down in the form of Ruku’ is still a custom to show respect, we cannot object it. however, prostration is not allowed, as this gesture is exclusive for the worship of God. Standing in respect is a considered a decent way to show respect.

• Ali

Member April 18, 2022 at 4:33 pm

Salam @Irfan76 sahab, kuch personal reason kee wajah aik question isee sai related aapko iss website per message kia mainai aaj. Thanks in advance.

• Sameer Namole

Member January 24, 2022 at 2:58 am

Thank you sir for your clarification.

I was talking about that ruku only where people touch elders feet by bowing down without prostrating, like in Ruku.

• Ali

Member February 29, 2024 at 7:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-gZqwql9U

Im not sure how to interpret what ghamidi sahab said in the video.

But if touching feet is HARAM we will have to leave it.

As for shirk,the problem is I have read verses in Quran like Surah nisa ayat 48.

I understand leaving social customs,is hard.

Minorities may feel they are outcast and may feel left out by giving up cultural practices.

But one day we shall be judged.

Most people consider ghamidi sahab as lenient,but he has expressed disapproval of ruko.

May Allah make it easy for us.

• Umer

Moderator March 2, 2024 at 10:19 pm

Please see for comments of Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 72777

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register