Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Pig Xenotransplantation

Tagged: ,

• Pig Xenotransplantation

Posted by Salih Chaudhry on January 22, 2022 at 7:01 am

I am sorry but answer was little unclear for me on Ghamidi sahab pig heart xenotransplantation. Did Ghamidi sahab allowed it on basis of istarar (life/death situation) because heart is a vital organ? Or did he claim that this exemption is not applicable in this situation? It is indeed a dire situation for a muslim; what if this is judged as being suicide on the final day if the person doesn’t take available organ.

Also, doesn’t same goes for blood donation. Consuming blood is prohibited of even halal animals or humans, yet we do blood transfusions to save lives. Also, there are numerous medicines in which pig elements have been or being used such as insulin, heparin, surfactant. Yes, they have been genetically modified but so was the pig used for heart donation. Almost 20 people die every day because of lack of organ donation.

Moreover, please shed light on xenotransplantation of non-vital organs. Some scientists in China claim that they have restored a blind person sight with a pig’s cornea transplantation. Also, the way of our Prophet (pbuh) was open-minded in treatments even for non life threatening situations. When a Sahiba’s nose was pierced in battlefield, RasulAllah (pbuh) advise him to use a gold nose. Also RasulAllah (pbuh) suggested a Sahabi to wear silk garment to avoid the itch or burn the wound to stop bleeding.

Please clarify more on this topic

Salih Chaudhry replied 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Pig Xenotransplantation

Salih Chaudhry updated 2 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • Zulfiqar CHAUDHRY

Member January 22, 2022 at 8:26 am

I was disappointed by Mr Ghamdi’s answer to this important question. He compared eating pig with a life-saving procedure. What injustice!

In history, Muslim Ulema are usually late to accept new innovations (examples include, printing press, use of microphones, translation of Quran in local languages, even creation of Pakistan.). I thought Mr Ghamidi was different.

Re Pig xeno transplantation, from medical perspective, this heart transplant is a major advance in the field of medicine! Countless hurdles had to be overcome to accomplish this feat. People do not get heart transplants for fun. They are at the end of their lives. It’s a life saving procedure! These transplants will alleviate suffering for many people. Muslims should not be deprived of these medical advances!

• Salih Chaudhry

Member January 22, 2022 at 10:39 am

I think Ghamidi sahab has strong reasoning. But I was not clear whether he somewhat okay with it or not? Or was mentioning his own preference in the end. Please don’t compare him with being anti-innovation. He was the first to endorse all worldly innovations such as printing press, loud speaker, camera…

• Zulfiqar CHAUDHRY

Member January 23, 2022 at 7:12 am
  • Faraz Siddiqui

Member January 23, 2022 at 12:52 pm

Firstly this discussion is kinda fruitless because it is not a religious issue but a medical issue. It’s basic human right to survive by any means necessary. The only prohibition is not to violate any other human’s rights.

I am sure if someone is dying he wouldn’t ask scholars for their opinion. But Ghamidi sahab is absolutely right that this is ok if there r no other options. Real question will be when tech will be refined and pig heart survival is better than mechanical heart then what we will do? In other words, when pig heart is the 2nd best option if human heart isn’t available

The real question right now, however, is that why a Pak doctor needed to go to USA to do this research? Why don’t none of the Muslim countries have the capability to do such research? And why it’s always west who comes up with plans to advance human betterment and improvement and Muslims always discuss if its allowed or not?

Lastly, Muslims did not allow transplant until 15-16 yrs ago . Still most scholars or organizations do not allow organ harvesting after death or after brain death.

Brain death is NOT considered death if heart is beating or breathing is intact. This is nothing but stupidness that we r asking religious ruling about death when it’s a medical issue not a religious issue.

No religious body actively encourages Muslims to be organ donors anywhere in Muslim world. Church of England called is “Christian duty” to be an organ donor!!

Let’s concentrate on improving what should be asked from religion and what not to ask before discussing pig heart transplant.

• Faraz Siddiqui

Member January 23, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Also, consuming blood is not similar to blood transfusion. Consumption as food is prohibited in Abrahamic faiths. Food is what is consumed by Gastrointestinal tract. So soup give via a tube in the stomach is food but glucose given via syringe in the vein is not food

• Salih Chaudhry

Member January 23, 2022 at 4:13 pm

As Ghamidi sahab explained reasoning behind Pig xenotransplantation is similar to consuming pig, so I inferred the reasoning for blood transfusion is also similar to consuming blood

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 23, 2022 at 1:31 pm

All your concerns are most welcome. We have requested Ghamidi sahab to explain his understanding in further detail. Hassan sahab will continue to ask questions in this regard during the Q&A segment of weekly classes. Hopefully it will help us further understand the fundamental reasons behind Ghamidi sahab’s argument. Stay tuned!

• Salih Chaudhry

Member January 23, 2022 at 4:08 pm

JazakAllah! Thank you for update

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register